Chapter 28 - The Upcoming Battle

Kageyama set the ball to Hinata who spiked it down, the other team player just missing for a one touch. The ball hit against the libero's forearms and directed towards the back. Number four started to run, diving as he tried to get the ball back, only to hit the floor and miss the ball.

"Guh!" The whistle blew.

"Damn, so close! Don't worry about it Ikejiri!"

"Keep fighting!"

"Nice one Hinata, Kageyama!"

(Y/N) hummed and looked over at the score which was now 17-8. We are crushing them, she thought to herself as she wrote down notes in her notebook.

"Karasuno, isn't using it." Mizoguchi observed.

"That quick where the spiker doesn't see the toss. On the other hand... They seem to have added a normal quick strike to their repertoire, though it's still a work in process... An even clumsier selection of the ball's course than before... Could they have had a significant enough practice match to warrant it in this short span of time...?" Irihata spoke aloud, a nervous look on his face. "Understanding the weapons at their disposal, adding to them, and attacking with the best one for each game..." The two coaches glanced at a man wearing a Date Tech jacket. "The wisdom gained by an unsteady team that has relied on brute strength in all manner of situations, huh... That's bound to be troublesome." He laughed.

Ukai and (Y/N) carefully glanced at Irihata, both having a calculated look on their faces. "He's probably figured it out, huh," Ukai whispered and the blond looked over at her coach.

"We need to be wary of him." (Y/N) nodded. She then looked over at the score, 21-12 and blinked. "Tokonami High School just took their second time out."

"Haaah... Karasuno's nothing like the rumors."

"How the heck are they Fallen Champions? They're not fallen at all."

"They're on a completely different level." They went silent in thought.

"When you stand on either side of the net, things like rank, grade, and class become irrelevant!" "-If you don't go into it intending to win, you'll never be able to." Ikejiri looked up to see his team curiously glancing at him. "Ahh! Err- that's... Just now was...-"

"You really said something good, Ikejiri. How unusual."

"Volleyball doesn't have any time limit, so if we can hang in there, maybe we'll have a chance to win."

"The other side had some great misses too."

"Alright! Weaklings or no, this is the time to stand strong!"

"Once more, let's go out there to win!" "YEAH!"

(Y/N) glanced over at the other team, raising a curious eyebrow. Kiyoko, who noticed, tapped the girl's shoulder. "Is something wrong (Y/N)?"

"Well... I was just wondering why they are so determined now even though they know they are going to lose?" (Y/N) explained, now looking at the black haired beauty. "What's the point of trying now?" She smiled.

Kiyoko blinked, looking shocked at what (Y/N) just said. 'She's acting like a different person,' she thought to herself when she saw (Y/N)'s expressionless eyes. "...They are determined to keep trying since they don't want to give up until the very end."

"So it's like... they don't want to lose too badly? Or they are hoping that they can turn this set around?" (Y/N) tilted her head to the side, her hair falling over her shoulder. "Sorry Kiyoko." She rubbed the back of her neck. "I don't really understand their drive to win even though it is clear that they are going to lose."