5

It's close to 4am when Louis is woken up by the sound from the room next to his, Liam. He hurries out of the bed feeling a little weak in his legs from just waking up, but he pushes himself out in to the hallway.

Niall is already there, tears streaming down his face when he looks at all the nurses rushing in to Liam's room.

"You should go back to your rooms." Ashley say, her voice is rushed and she doesn't stop long enough to actually see if the men does as she say, she hurries in to Liam's room where they are currently trying to keep him alive.

He stopped breathing and now they are doing everything they can to get him to breathe again.

One of the doctors on the night shift is currently intubating him, finally getting air in to his lungs again, making his heartbeat go up.

Louis walks over to Niall wrapping his arms around him, holding the younger man close. Niall and Liam have always been super close, they have been here the longest and when everyone else come and go they stayed.

"Is this it?" Niall whispers out when he looks at the man in the bed surrounded by doctors and nurses.

"No, Liam is stronger than that." Louis isn't as confident in his words as he wanted to be, he knows Liam is strong but sometimes it isn't enough, sometimes no matter how strong you are you end up losing.

"Hey what is happening?" The curly haired man appears from his room, looking at the two men who is holding on to each other. Neither answers him, not sure what to say because they don't really know themselves what is actually happening to their friend.

Harry looks over where the two boys have their eyes glued too, now seeing people leaving the man in the bed hooked up to different tubes and machines.

He don't know him, but considering how the other two men act he assume that they do.

"Go back to bed." Zayn's voice is serious, he is not letting any of these men stay out in the hallway.

"Is he going to be okay?" Niall askes worried about his friend.

"He is stable for now." Zayn answer, helping Niall back in to his room. Niall's legs are weak and he is out of breathe from the crying.

"Here, you need to drink some." Zayn hands him the water bottle that he have standing beside the hospital bed, Niall takes it and realise how much his hands are shaking when he accept it.

Louis looks over at Harry who is still standing beside him, looking worried about what is happening.

"Goodnight Harry." Louis say, walking back to his room with his head aching worse than last night, knowing it's from him standing up to fast he just needs to lay down and fall back asleep.

"Night." Harry looks after him when he closes the door to his room behind him. He is standing alone in the hallway looking in to the man's room from earlier, the only sound is the machines that is keeping him alive.

With the terrible image in his mind he makes his way back to his own room, scared because he knows that one day it might be his room they have to rush in to. It might be him that they need to hook up to machines just to keep him alive.

He have a hard time falling back asleep, even though he is tired he just can't seem to get the image of the man out of his head.

He rolls over in the bed feeling how he is getting lightheaded, he knows it's because of him stressing and his body not being able to handle it. So he welcomes the darkness like an old friend when it finally surrounds him.

The next morning Louis and Niall are sitting on the small couch in Liam's room eating their breakfast, they usually do this when one of them can't get out of bed. They don't talk, not sure what to actually say to make anything better.

Niall is focused on the way that Liam's chest is rising up and down with every single breathe that the machine helps him take. Feeling bad for Liam, knowing how awful he will feel when he comes of the intubation, if he comes off the intubation.

Louis takes another spoon of his yogurt, wishing he would have taken the vanilla instead of the fruit one. He always seem to make this mistake in the beginning when he gets back here, he likes the fruit yogurt at home and just seem to forget that it taste like absolute shit here.

The vanilla at least taste a little better, enough for him to actually enjoy it a little bit at least.

"Do you think he can hear us?" Niall asks when they have finished their breakfast.

"He doesn't need to hear us to know we are here." Louis answers looking over at the man in the bed, he hates seeing Liam like this. The first time he met Liam he actually didn't think he was sick, he was so healthy looking, but now he looks sicker than anyone else in this hospital.

Liam have been through a lot more than anyone expected him to ever be able to handle, that is the scary part, he is living on borrowed time right now.

"You are probably right, he is probably tired of hearing our shit." Niall laughs a little, but the sadness is still visible behind his eyes.

"Whatever happens we will get through it." Louis reaches out to take Niall's hand to comfort him. Niall holds it so hard, scared that if he let's go that he will break down in to a million pieces and nothing will be able to pick him back together.