Chapter 18 Ghost of the Castle

Chapter 18

"Prince Nathaniel." A butler greeted us as soon as we entered the palace. Nate, in return, nodded his head to acknowledge him.

"Hi, Edward. Is my-" Nate started off but I had to gasped loudly at the name.

"A vampire named Edward!?" I gasped.

At the mention of his name, the vampire butler named Edward gave me a questioning look. "Yees...?" He asked while dragging the word out.

Nate put his arm around me to cover my mouth. "Please, Edward. Just ignore her. Where's my brother Adam?" Nate immediately asked.

"Unfortunately, your highness, the king, queen, and Prince Adam are with Lady Gwen's parents. They are finalizing the paper works to make it official." The butler gave Nate an apologetic look. "But I am certain that they will be back anytime soon. Would you and Princess Rose want to have a snack?"

A snack?

Nate must have felt me talking under his hand because he started to tighten his grip. He looked at Edward the vampire butler and gave him a struggling smile as I tried to fight him off. Damn it, Nate! "I think I would like to go to our weapon storage and see if we still have Adam's old wooden swords?"

"Which type are you looking for, Prince Nathaniel?"

"Hook swords. Are they still there?"

"Yes. But those are smaller versions. He used those when he was a kid." The look on Edward the vampire's face seemed confused. Nate must have seen it too.

"It's not for me." Nate says to clear up the confusion. "It's for the princess. We are teaching her how to defend herself. And thanks, Edward. Rose and I will head to the room to get it ourselves. And no Edward, Rose and I are not a thing." Nate quickly added when Edward the vampire was looking at us like a proud parent. "And least not yet." Nate said and earned a jab from my elbow.

"Well that is a shame." Edward the vampire butler chuckled and when he noticed Custard in my arms, he smiled warmly. "Call me when you need me, your highnesses." He bowed and Nate dragged me inside the castle.

Nate still had his hands over my mouth as we kept moving. I was somehow feeling uncomfortable with the situation at I started blowing onto his hand. "Gah! Rose." Nate chastised me and finally released his hold. He grimaced at me while I bit my tongue in disgust. "You licked my hand!" He said.

I started spitting. "Pleh! Your hand taste weird." I complained.

I suddenly saw Nate raising an eyebrow and giving me a flirty grin. "Are you trying to provoke me?"

"Right now?" I asked and showed me my fist. "You are trying to provoke my fist."

Nate laughed and guided me along the never ending hallway. Rows and rows of painted pictures lined the walls. Empty armor decoration stood as if they were guarding something. I saw a lot of paintings of Adam. Adam with his mother, Adam with his parents, Adam with Nate, and Adam with both of his parents. I rarely see paintings of Nate, or, Nate doesn't have a solo painting of himself unless he is with his big brother. And when he is, he doesn't seem happy at all. Just a small smile with a dead look in his eyes. I was so preoccupied with looking for a painting of Nate. At least one painting that wouldn't make him seem like an unloved child. I bumped into his back.

"Where here." Nate announced and opened the bronze double doors in front of us. He started to stepped in and stopped when he saw me following. "Actually, Rose, I want you to stay here. I will be quick."

"Why?" I protested and peaked to see all the shinny weapons in the room. They all looked intriguing.

"Look, Rose, I don't want to offend you but remember the last time that you went inside a room similar to this? It didn't end well." He gave me an apologetic look when he saw me pout. "I promise I won't take long." He says as he slowly retreated inside and closing the door behind him.