Chapter Twenty Three

Amethyst couldn't move at all. She just stood there while watching the blazing fire and its thick dark smoke floating in the air. She couldn't scream anymore, knowing that her nightmare came into life.

Unti-unting tumitino sa isipan niya ang nangyayari. Mabilis kumalat ang apoy at nilalamon na nito ang mga katabing container na sumabog mismo sa di kalayuan. At sinuman ang nasa loob niyon ay imposibleng mabuhay at paniguradong gutay-gutay na ang katawan.

Mom

Bigkas niya sa isipan dahil mas lalong bumibigat ang pakiramdam niya. Alam niyang hindi na isang masamang panaginip ang nangyayari kundi katotohanan. Ang katotohanang- wala na ang kanyang ina.

She lost her mother again for the second time. She lost another parent, the only family she knew exist in this world. And she lost her because she made a mistake.

Lumalabo na ang paningin niya at hindi na gaanong maaninag ang malaking apoy roon dahil sa mga luhang nakaharang na sa kanyang mga mata.

"I've warned you about this, Amethyst. I told you that this will happen if you commit mistakes." Ani David kaya't natauhan na siya sa pagkakatulala.

Dahan-dahan niyang inilipat ang paningin mula sa nag-aappoy na container papunta sa kung saan nakatayo ang matandang lalaki. Sobra ang pagkakakuyom ng mga kamao niya dahil sa galit na nararamdaman.

"You.... you killed her.... you killed... you killed my mother!" Nanginginig sa galit na sabi niya. "I will kill you, Sensei!"

"Let's stop this drama." Bara nito kay Eshe. "You know you can't kill me. I'm one of the Princes of Hell and I can read your attack because you learned it from me." Mayabang nitong sabi.

Yeah, she knows that he's one of Weber's demons- Mammon, the demon of greed.

"Your demon name suits you- Mammon, demon of greed. Because you are selfish, you have this excessive desire for what, huh? Power? Wealth?" Madiin niyang balik.

Tumawa lang ang matanda at binalewala ang pagiging sarkastiko niya.

"Who doesn't want power or wealth?" Tanong nito sa kanya bago nagpatuloy. "If you have those, people will fear you and they will respect you. No one will ever put you down and no one will treat you like a failure." At pagak na tumawa. "You don't have any idea the suffering I had to endure during the time that I have nothing... a nobody." Napatulala pa ito na para bang may inaalala. "They looked at me like a filthy cockroach that should be crushed. No one respected me, no one was willing to give me a chance to prove myself. I don't have anything back then, only honor and dignity because that was the only thing we should value according to my father."

He is half Japanese and in their culture, honor, and dignity are important. They should live and die with honor based on their moral principles.

"But you disagree with him, right?" Aniya na nagpabalik rito sa huwisyo. "You don't value honor, you don't believe in it. You don't have dignity in yours because if you did, you won't be standing here!"

Muli na namang sumilay ang mala-demonyong ngiti nito.

"It's true." Pag-amin nito. "Honor and dignity won't bring me to where I am right now. I could've been dead years ago if I keep on believing in that pathetic values. My eagerness to change my life helped me gain the power I've been longing for. Power and wealth, those two are the ones I value now."

"That's what desire is. The need for what we can't have. The need for what's readily available is called greed. Greed is your god now, Sensei.