Interlude I: Chunin Exams

That day, Kana really thought that she'll be sent back to her village since Kushina was successful jinchuriiki. She was happy for the girl but a little fear crept to her heart for she doesn't want to leave the village yet and the reason, it's still vague, even to her. Thankfully, the kind hokage doesn't have any plans on kicking her out. And now, she had became a proud Konoha genin. Her family even attended her graduation. She couldn't forget the smile in her mother's lips the day she proudly recieved her hitai-ate. The adoration in her sister's eyes. And the proud look in his father's eyes.

She couldn't forget the happiness she felt when she got sent off to her first mission with her three-man team. Namikaze Minato and Uchiha Fugaku is her teammates. Just like a stroke of luck,she got to on the same team with the person she love. Love is a strong word. How can she know for sure that it's love? It's because that's how she feel. She liked Fugaku even with the boy's cold persona and even more when she accidentally spied on him while he is sheltering a stray kitten from the harsh rain. Or when he saw him help an old lady with her heavy baggages. Maybe that's when she completely fell in love with the boy. No, for her Fugaku is a man with a strong and kind heart masked within a stoic face and cold eyes. And that her young heart had learn to love.

"Fugaku." Kana said as she jump from the tree she was hiding onto. She has been watching the guy as he train himself with shurikenjutsu for more than five minutes. The guy just gave her a glance and return to what he is doing. "You didn't get startled?"

The guy just continued throwing shuriken. It perfectly curved in the air to hit the bullseye. "Why would I? I've noticed you since the moment you arrived here." The turned to look at her and Kana saw his crimson eyes that now had two tomoes. The guy had awaken it when his father passed away. Although she hadn't seen Fugaku shed a tear or etched a sad expression on his face, the evolvement of his sharingan is more than enough of a proof that he is grief-stricken.

"So what have you come here for?" Kana didn't realize she was staring at the guy until he asked her a question.

"Right. Yellow flash said we are going to hang out today. Dango". She said, holding an imaginary stick in her hand and brought it to her mouth as to enact eating the sweet.

"Not coming." Fugaku casually said,dismissing her. The guy walked up to the wooden deck on the lake. This is the place where he always practice his clan's signature fireball jutsu. Kana followed him for she convinced herself that she won't let the man turn down the fun like it always does and she'll do everything about it.

"Come on Fugaku. We've got chunnin exams tommorow."

"That's why I'm training."

"You don't need too. You're already a prodigy. Have you not know the saying "save the best for the last?"

"And what does it have to do with me training?"

"Oh, nothing. I just want to say that line." Kana isn't very poetic after all.
"Come on Fugaku. We're friends."
Kana didn't receive a reply.

"Mikoto is coming with Kushina." She said, reaching her last straw. The girl's name escape her lips. She knew she could make him come if she said Mikoto's name for she is aware how Fugaku sees the girl. Even though it pulls the painful strings of her heart,she knew that Fugaku would never see her the way he sees Mikoto.

Fugaku let out a defeated sigh. The girl in front of her just wouldn't give up so he decided it wouldn't be too bad to spend time with his friends,they will be participating in chunnin exam tomorrow after all and even though his friends ability isn't something to be underestimated,he know one could never guess an outcome. Some of his friends might not survive.