Chapter 86 - Gem

In the moment the slab fell out and the secret compartment was revealed, a rainbow-coloured radiance blossomed out and illuminated the dark, underwater passage. Nie Yan swam over and looked inside, but was blinded by the intense brilliance. However, as his eyes slowly adapted, he saw a mess of items loosely scattered around the interior. It appeared much of the compartment’s contents had already been removed, presumably by NPCs. Nonetheless, quite a few items remained behind, all of which were precious gems of various quality and type.

Nie Yan collected all of the gems and sorted through them. Five were Fortune Gems (1), and the rest were even more precious Resilient Gems (1) and Life Gems (1), which there were two and three of respectively. Although one was the lowest quality rating for a gem, they were still fairly uncommon in the game’s current stage. A single Fortune Gem (1) could go for roughly five silvers. As for the two other gems, the Resilient and Life ones, it was a bit difficult to determine their prices since they had yet to appear on the marketplace. However, once a Jewelcrafter socketed these gems into equipment, their corresponding properties would increase significantly.

Equipment didn’t generally come with sockets, so players were required to pay a two silver commission fee to a Jewelcrafter to create one. Gold equipment could possess up to two sockets, Dark Gold up to three, and Legendary up to five. Once the sockets were created, for three additional silvers, the player could then have the Jewelcrafter socket a gem, and once they were socketed into a piece of equipment, Resilient Gems (1) would increase Resilience by five and Life Gems (1) would increase health by fifty.

Due to their effects, practically all the major guilds fought over these gems. However, since their production rate was extremely low, they were almost never listed for sale and thus didn’t have a set market value. In addition, due to their rarity, it would be a waste to socket them into anything lower than Dark Gold-grade. In some circumstances, though, it was acceptable to socket rare Gold-grade items such as shields, rings, necklaces, and so on.

I’ve struck it rich this time! Nie Yan inwardly exclaimed. Today’s harvests were fairly abundant. So no matter what happened next, the trip had at least paid for itself. If he were to list these gems up on the auction house, it would cause hordes of players to scramble and fight over them. Naturally, he had no plans of selling since, with so many gems, he could raise the overall quality of his gear significantly! Even if he did sell any of them, he would do so only if any remained after he had finished using them for himself and only to friends and acquaintances.

Nie Yan felt endless elation when he thought about these gems.

He threw these gems into a small sack and continued searching the compartment to confirm he hadn’t overlooked anything. Only then did he leave the secret compartment and proceeded deeper into the passage, resuming his original objective.

Nie Yan paid closer attention to the surrounding walls, but it led to no further discoveries.

A dozen or so minutes later, as he swam along the narrow passageway, he saw a sliver of light shining from above. Following it, he swam and eventually reached the water’s surface, whereupon he was greeted by the sight of an enormous room that could seemingly fit several hundred people. At the very center was a golden sarcophagus. It was five meters long, two meters wide, and two meters tall, and its surface was covered in delicate carvings, most of which were depictions of various dragons.

Besides the sarcophagus, the room was void of anything else.

It doesn’t seem like there are any monsters here. Nie Yan leapt out of the water and onto dry ground, then walked toward the giant sarcophagus. Right behind him, Dark Gladiator burst out of the water and positioned itself in a location not far from him.