Chapter 25 - Silver Chest

Numerous spiders had converged within the wide space where the tunnels intersected. They were constantly patrolling the area, which meant that their positions were ever-changing.

Nie Yan patiently waited for an opportunity to arise. He didn’t need to wait long; about half a minute later, the spiders began congregating towards the center. It was then that Nie Yan noticed there was one lone spider that had lagged behind. It loitered off to the side, not too far from where he was.

Nie Yan’s eyes lit up; this was his chance! There was no time to lose. He raised his crossbow, aimed at the lone spider, and fired.

「Pa! Pa! Pa!」Three crossbow bolts lodged themselves into their target, enraging it. The spider immediately turned to face its aggressor and charged.

Fortunately, none of the other spiders followed, thus, Nie Yan welcomed its assault with open arms.

When their skirmish reached its conclusion, the spider fell to the ground, dead. Nie Yan walked over to its corpse and picked up the single piece of equipment it dropped as loot: a White-grade Level 5 Dark Leather Thief Tunic.

The drop rates for equipment were extremely low regardless of which class it belonged to, to the extent that prices for equipment always remained high. For instance, if this leather tunic were to be placed on the marketplace, it would sell for at least six or seven coppers.

Nie Yan tossed the leather tunic into his knapsack, then went back to waiting for another opportunity.

Within the span of roughly six minutes, he had drawn out and killed another three spiders. Afterward, Nie Yan tallied up the remaining monsters and found that there were still twelve remaining.

Unfortunately, these spiders were clumped too closely to be drawn out one at a time.

Nie Yan searched for quite some time but was unable to find a suitable position to repeat his earlier tactics.

Hmm… this seems to be the best position, though it’s still a bit lacking. I suppose I’ll give it a shot from here, though things might get a little dangerous.

Nie Yan raised his crossbow once more and fired. Subsequently, three bolts were sent piercing through the air.

−5, −5, −5

These bolts struck the body of a nearby Rock Spider.「Scritch! Scritch!」The spider furiously cried out as it charged towards the one who had harmed it. Unlike the previous spiders he had lured, however, this one was being followed closely from behind by another.

I aggroed two of them… Nie Yan’s heart tightened as he made a hasty retreat back to one of the narrow tunnels within the cave. The narrowness of this passage meant there would be no room for two spiders to move side by side.

When they drew close enough, Nie Yan pulled out his dagger. He directly engaged the Rock Spider he had aggroed first and unleashed a continuous chain of attacks upon it.

The spider repeatedly lunged at Nie Yan. One after another, a line of damage values floated up above Nie Yan’s head as they exchanged blows.

Ninety-two percent, eighty-seven percent, seventy-two percent… Slowly but surely, Nie Yan’s health continued to fall.

While in combat, Nie Yan made sure to maintain awareness of both his surroundings and the positioning of his footsteps. Currently, the only spider capable of attacking him in the narrow tunnel was the one he aggroed first. As for its partner, who had closely followed from behind, it could do nothing more than cry out helplessly.

The spider met its end when Nie Yan finally finished it off with Vital Strike. He glanced at his health bar—around a quarter of his health remained—then quickly retreated back from his current position.