The Prison and Woodbury

Start from the beginning

"There's too many of them, we'll run out of ammo before we even make a dent," Hershel added. "That's why we have to go in there, hand to hand. We can do this, we're strong. These assholes don't stand a chance." He looked at Carl and smiled as he gave him a small nudge. Carl smiled back up at his father. The rest of us understood but sat there without words. Rick walked away, back to checking for any weaknesses in the fences when Lori got up and walked after him. They talked briefly before Rick walked away from her.

The next morning Rick, T-Dog, Daryl, Glenn, and Shane went in to clear more of the prison so we could have a roof over our heads. They disappeared for a while, we couldn't see where they were or what was going on and they were gone for a while. Lori was getting worried and pacing back and forth. "Lori, they'll be alright. You don't need to put any more stress on yourself right now." Hershel told her as she looked him in the eyes rubbing her belly. The baby was due anytime now. They finally came out and lead us all into C Block. "Is it clear?" Lori asked Rick. "This cell block is," he replied as everyone picked out their cells. "I ain't sleepin' in no damn cage. I'll take the perch." Daryl said as he climbed the stairs. I followed him up and picked out one of the cells close by. And now we all rested, for once we weren't worrying about walkers getting to us, we were safe tonight.

The crew went back out into the prison looking for supplies and clearing it out. Shane stayed back this time and Hershel went with them. After a while Rick came in yelling for Carl to unlock the door, "Hershel, he's hurt!" Hershel was on a cart his right leg missing from the knee down. "What happened?" I asked staring at Hershel's bloody stump. "He was bit," Rick said as he slid an arm around my waist. Lori glanced over at the two of us and Rick pulled his hand away walking over to the old man as they wheeled him into his cell and got him onto the bunk. Carol and Lori worked to try to stop the bleeding. We were all standing there watching when we heard Daryl yelling at someone. "What's that?" Shane asked Rick. "Prisoners. Survivors." He said as he ran outside Shane right behind him. They talked with the men for a while before leaving with them. None of us had a clue what was happening out there we were all focused on Hershel. When they returned they came back with armloads of food. Lori pulled Rick to the side to talk to him. As I walked by I heard Rick telling her that they were going to help them clear out another cell block but he didn't think it was going to work. "What are the options?" Lori asked. "Kill 'em." Rick stated. I walked away and back over to Hershel's cell. Carol had managed to stop the bleeding and wrap his stump. Now we just had to wait. Rick told Glenn to take his cuffs and put them on the old man just in case and Glenn did as he asked.

I was sitting in my cell getting ready to go to sleep when Shane stepped into the doorway and leaned against the wall, staring at me. "What do you want?" I said as I smiled up at him. "You, gorgeous," he said as he walked over and sat beside me. He lifted me up and slid in behind me and I leaned back on his chest. Shane was holding me tight, filling me in on everything that happened with those prisoners. "The way Rick buried that machete into that guy's head, I really didn't think he'd do it, he's always been the good guy."

"Rick's gonna do what he has to in order to keep us safe. Do you not see that?" I asked turning my eyes up to look at him.

"I do now," he said as he kissed me on the top of my head, "He told me before it happened that he wasn't the good guy anymore, I didn't really believe it but I guess he's proved it." He started to get up when I stopped him. "Don't leave. I don't feel like being alone tonight." He smiled as he slid down in the bed and squeezed me tighter.

I woke up late this morning and everyone was already outside. Hershel had come through and Carl had found the infirmary sometime during the night with all kinds of needed supplies including some crutches which Hershel was now taking advantage of. I walked out to see Lori, Carl, and Maggie standing around him and smiling. Daryl, Rick, and Shane were down by the fence. I heard growling as I turned I saw a group of walkers staggering toward us as I screamed. Everyone started shooting and scattered. The alarms started screaming.