14.1 - The Stray Kitten

You heard meowing everytime you walked out of the building with Kenma. It always concerned you two where it came from. Both of you didn't regret the day you found it... behind the bushes at front of the building. Your eyes laid upon a black kitten, wailing next to its mother cat, laying still on the ground. "Awww, Kenma... The mother is dead..." You sobbed, picking up the poor kitten, petting it. It seemed very weak, continuing to cry. It pained to see the kitten at that state. "What do we do?... Can we bury the mother?"

He hesitantly crouched down to look at the dead mother, sighing. "Yeah, that's the best we can do... We don't have any shovels or anything to dig up though." You handed the small kitten to Kenma carefully and pulled up your sleeves. "What are you doing?"

"Digging." You responded as you started to dig in the soil. It was rough and solid, so it took some toll on your fingers to keep digging with scratches.

Kenma quickly reached to your hand and pulled it up to catch your attention. "Don't ruin your fingers, what would you do if you hurt yourself even more?"

"Well, you can't be the one digging! You need those fingers for work!" You pouted, but he patted your head and rested the kitten down. He started pulling up his sleeves, but you tried to stop him. "Kenma! You're going to hurt yourself!"

"I want to bury the cat with you. Don't do it alone, that's what I'm here for." He reassured you as he started assisting you in digging. You felt touched that he'd sacrifice his fingers just to dig with you, wanting to do it together. You gave up on stopping him, both of you were able to create a hole faster thanks to the work. As the both of you gently placed the mother cat into the pit, the black kitten snuggled up to Kenma, crying once again. Troubled, Kenma picked up the kitten, trying to reassure it with some pets. "It's okay, your mother is going to be fine."

You were proud to have kind and loving boyfriend. A large, gentle smile was formed on his face as the kitten licked his cheeks. Kenma gave a peck to the kitten's forehead, making your heart jump. Finally, the both of you finished burying the mother cat, praying for her. The kitten crawled on you, rubbing its cheek against yours. It made you sob. "Kenmaaaaa, can we keep it?" Your eyes sparkled, blinding him with hesitation. "Pleaseeee? I don't want to leave it..."

Truthfully, Kenma wants to keep it too, so he gave a smile and replied. "Sure, let's keep the kitten." It made you jump in happiness, gently hugging the kitten. He went up to you to pet the kitten as it snuggled its nose into his hand. "It's cute..."

"I know right!... We should order this fellow some stuff and name it!" You exclaimed, lifting the tail up to see two holes on the kitten. "Awww... it's a girl..." The kitten got mad and kept squirmig around, letting go of her tail. "Okay! Okay! I'm sorry!"

Both of you are back at your home once again, but this time you brought a new family member. The little kitten shyly explored the area, finally settling into a pillow on the couch. She was unbelieveably cute that you took too many photos. Kenma noticed this particular behavior and pointed it out. "Aren't you taking too much pictures, (Y/n)?"

"Oh, please! There's never enough of-" You cut out, trying to think of a name for the kitten, but your brain fried. "What's... her name?... I'm too scared of naming her..."

"Me too... I don't trust our naming skills..." He remarked, pulling out his phone. "I'll text Kuroo if he knows any names or the group chat..." Both of you rested on the couch, petting the little kitten, waiting for responses. Finally once Kenma's phone vibrated, he quickly checked it. As his thumbs continue to scroll down on messages, his expression darkened in disappointment based of his narrowed eyes.

"What's wrong?" You asked, concerned for his weird expression.

Kenma held up his phone to you, letting you read the messages to Kuroo, sighing. "Kuroo wants the kitten to be named Mackerel..."

Your jaw dropped, realizing his naming skills are even worse than yours and Kenma's. You looked extremely disappointed, but afraid as well as you trembled. "H-He wants to eat our dear child?... No!" It was clear how much you hated the idea. "No, no, we ain't relying on Kuroo this time... What about the others?..." As Kenma switched messages to group chat, you read the suggestions out loud. "Penguin-dono... 8-Ball... Charcoal... Burnt Toast... Grilled Dog... Phantom Lord of- My head hurts..."

"I was at least expecting decent names, but not from these idiots..." Kenma gave an exasperated sigh, noticing your glum expression, and wrapped his arm around your back. He pulled you closer, making you sit between his legs and lean your back to his chest. He snuggled his nose into your hair, smelling a hint of [Fave Scent] with a smile. "It won't be a bad idea to wait until we find a proper name. Mothers usually take a long time to name theirs, right? We can take our time until we find a good name."

"Really?" You questioned, looking up your pudding-hair boyfriend that chuckled, patting you. His comfort made you smile brightly. "Let's take our time then!" You snuggled into his arms, listening to his heart beat quickly. With his arms wrapped around you and the black kitten, jumping onto your lap and fell asleep. The three of you dozed off peacefully.