Chapter 9

(Dan's POV)

~the next day~

I scroll through tumblr, seeing pleas of many people to upload a video. I haven't really uploaded anything at all recently, so I set up my camera and decide to do a random video.

I talk about Phil, and how I'm sorry to all the fans, and how it was a mistake to tell them.

Then I go to my laptop with the camera and edit it and an hour later, I'm ready to upload. It starts uploading and I notice something.

Danisnotonfire

2 million

2 million.

I lost 2 million subscribers.

"Phil!!!" My voice squeeks and I realize how bad this is. I hear his footsteps get closer and closer, and then the door opens.

"What is it?!"

I just have a worried expression on my face, I don't even need to see it myself to know its there. He walks to my side and looks at the screen.

"Oh Dan.. No..." I see tears well up in his eyes and type 'AmazingPhil' in the search bar.

1 million.

I slam my laptop shut and start screaming. I curse and swear and yell and Phil just stands there, small tears rolling down his pale cheeks. I yell that Phil deserves better, that we deserve better, and Phil just comes over to me and hugs me. His tears get my shirt wet, but I don't let go.

We just stand there, holding each other, in silence for a long time. Its so quiet, the only thing I can hear is Phil's breathing next to my ear.

He lets go and holds my shoulders. He looks right in my eyes, and I stare back into his. Its like his eyes are a waterfall, with blue and green and yellow, and a little pool at the bottom.

"You're okay. We're okay." Phil says, in his soothing, barely audible voice.

I think about it. Are we okay? We are alive. We are unhappy, but we are okay.

I nod and he noda and then pulls me into a tight hug, kissing me lightly on the cheek. He lets go again and grabs my hand. We walk down the hallway and then he makes me sit at the table.

"I'm making food. If I burn down the house you can't blame me." That makes me smile. A weak smile, but its better than nothing.

And I sit there, and watch him hum tunes to songs that don't exist, and turn the stove on and make tacos.

And I'm okay with it. I'm okay with this little life we have. Its fallen down before us, but as I think about it more and more, I realize its nothing. Compared to all the problems in this never ending solar system, its nothing.

So I smile and get up and hug him from behind as he cooks. And I hum to a song that doesn't exist with him, and I whisper, "I love you." In his ear.

I feel the shivers on his arm, and he replies. "I love you too."