ch. 12

I believe In the original 'Cross in The Light,' the idea was Drift and Rangeblade once dated; when Drift was Deadlock. Here's my idea of that backstory.

Rangeblade POV
I've been here six weeks and tore apart Crosshairs' friendship with Jamie. What else can I unintentionally ruin without even trying?
Oh scrap, that's what else I can unintentionally ruin.
Forget it, I'm better off being found and killed by Megatro
I thought the others were still asleep as I quietly walk out of the barn. I don't know why they don't have rooms in the house or do they and they feel the need to sleep in the barn to keep an eye on me?

That is apparently what's going on as I find Drift sitting on the ground by the barn. Yet his back is facing the barn. He turns to see who's approaches him but allows me to sit beside him. I don't know what to say. There's a lot that goes through my processor when I think of Drift. Do I even bring up the past?
"Took you centuries, but I believe you're finally on the right path," he finally says, smiling.
Again, I don't know what to say. I'm not mad Drift switched sides, leaving me with no one during the war, or that he chose a human to love even though I like Drift. For all I know, he might have thought I was killed in the war, or we'd never see each other again.

Drift and I unofficially dated for a few years before he was attacked for saving innocent Cybertronians who didn't pick a side in the war. I was told he was killed by Autobots. I didn't believe that; I feared Turmoil killed him after finding out we were unofficially dating, but he never came after me. The only other reason Turmoil would kill Deadlock is his attitude. Deadlock didn't always act as second in command, but more like Starscream, looking to be in command. Not sure if Megatron would've wanted Deadlock dead. I discovered Deadlock was still alive when we accidentally ran into each other years later. He was with a team of Autobots, searching for Cybertronians.

**Flashback**

Walking around a destroyed city, minding my own business. I see a Cybertronian who, I swear, looks like Deadlock.
I must be hallucinating.
The hallucination grabbed my hand and led me to an abandoned building.
"Yes, it's me," Deadlock says, "I miss you so much."
I said nothing as he hugs me.
A hallucination can't touch like this. He's alive, but...
"Y-you joined the Autobots?"
"Yes, I did, and you should as well. I have come to realize Megatron has been in the wrong this whole time. I am so ashamed of all the Cybertronians I killed thinking Megatron was right."
"How do you know they aren't lying?"
"Think about it, Rangeblade."
"No!" I slap him across the faceplate, "they reprogrammed your processor!"
I slap him again before running out of the building.
"A Decepticon!!" An Autobot yells.
"Let them go!" The leader of the Autobots orders.
I run as fast as I can away from the scene, away from the one I love, knowing we'll never be together again.

**Flashback ends**

"I'm sorry for slapping you," I apologize.
"What..oh, that. I know you were angery at me."
"But you were right; I can't believe I thought Megatron was doing good. I should have followed you to Earth centuries ago, instead of waiting for Megatron to tell me to come."
"I KNEW IT!!" Crosshairs yells.
Drift, and I get up to see all the Autobots standing at the barn's entrance, but not for long as Crosshairs walks up to me.
"Crosshairs, stop," Lightning begs, knowing what he's about to do.
Crosshairs slaps me hard across the faceplate that I fall to the ground before he shoves Drift out of the way and attacks me. He's blinded by anger that he doesn't see Lighting approach, and he punches her out. Hound and Prime are able to pull him away, but he's fighting their hold on him.
"I TOLD YOU, SHE PLANS ON KILLING US!!" He rages before Bee injects him with something that knocks him out.
Hound and Prime take him into the barm and lay him on a berth while Drift looks over Lightning.
"She's fine besides being knocked out," he tells me.
"For now," I fret, my mind thinking, what if Crosshairs fights me again and seriously injures Lightning when she steps in to end the fight?
"Are you ok?" Bee frets.
I feel dizzy, and myself falling to the ground before everything goes black.

Drift POV
We put Lighting and Rangeblade on berths, away from Crosshairs. We have no other safe place to keep them away from Crosshairs while they're in their bipedal mode. Crosshairs will be out for six hours. Hopefully, Lightning wakes up before him, or things will get worse.
"How the hell was Rangeblade a con?" Hound questions.
"I believe she wanted to change sides or forget the war altogether. She likely fled from Megatron and is afraid he'll find her," I tell him.
"She said Megatron contacted her," Hound reminds us.
"She likely obeyed, but some point afterward, she fled," I explain though I'm only guessing.
The others want to know what happened, but getting Rangeblade to tell her story will be a challenge. We all believe Crosshairs needs to hear this part of Rangeblade's story but know he will not listen.
For once, I am glad Jamie had to leave for a while.

Rangeblade wakes up quickly but is worried about Lightning. I have her take a walk with me. Hot Rod asks to join us, aware there likely won't be any conversations during the walk.

Hot Rod POV
I feel bad for Rangeblade. She doesn't want to be a Decepticon. There's no way a con can fake the way she's been behaving. I don't like how I'm likely getting an idea of how Drift was treated when Prime let him join his team. Drift, Lightning, and I being her friends is a good start, but Crosshairs' behavior towards her is a serious problem.

"Do you trust me?" Rangeblade shyly asks me
"Yes, I do. You don't display actions a con would. Even with a calculated plan to gain our trust, a con wouldn't be able to act like you. It would be a challenge for a con to want to spend time with us. I believe they'd angrily refuse for some time — or at the very least, have a hard time acting afraid of how the others treat them."
"I believe everything will be ok. It's just going to take time," Drift adds, smiling.