Ch. 53

Drift POV
"She didn't cause any further injury. The problem is she needed more pain medication, and falling isn't great for any of her injuries," Hound explains.
And hungry if she was trying to go downstairs. I figure, considering I left Jamie's tablet where she can reach, so the issue wasn't she was bored.
"This isn't your fault. You know Jamie wouldn't wake you up."
"And that's why it's my fault. I should have been watching her instead of napping with her."
"You can't avoid sleep until she's healed. What worries me is she panicked seeing Lightning," Hound sighs and leaves the room.
I sit on my knees by the bed, even though Jamie will be asleep for a while.

"Is she ok?" Lightning asks.
"Yeah, she was just in pain and hungry."
"I'm sorry, I have my gun in case that bitch comes back."
"It's not like her to be like this," I sigh.
"Come on, she'll be asleep for a while," Crosshairs says, making me stand up.
We go downstairs and watch T.V.

Crosshairs POV
Lightning wants to make one of Jamie's favorite dinners, even if we won't tell her Lightning made it. Drift leaves us alone, but I don't think it's allowing Lightning and me to do something together. I can tell Lightning also feels like he left us for a different reason.
"Ok, that's enough cheese!" Lightning exclaims.
I look at what I've done. I think I put a little too much on, but Jamie loves cheese.

Once dinner is done for the four of us, I text Drift and bring the trays upstairs. The others have been informed, so they don't worry we're refusing to eat - or at least worry Drift isn't eating.

I don't like waking Jamie up, but she hasn't eaten since this morning, and I want her to eat before the pain medication wears off.
"I made your favorite," I tell her as she tiredly looks at me.
Even moving her slowly to sit up hurts Jamie, but not as bad with the pain medication. Lightning sits on the couch by the wall by the door. Both girls can see each other. I can keep Jamie calm and eat. It's a quiet few minutes until Drift runs in, worried Jamie is panicking. He sits next to her as I move to sit next to Lightning. It's hard to know if Jamie is half asleep or not caring Lighting is in the room. It's good seeing Jamie eating, though Lightning is here. I didn't think Drift would come with me when I leave to take care of the dishes. I can tell he thinks he'll regret this.

Lightning POV
I don't like the two mechs left as I watch Jamie try to lie down - clearly in pain. It's not as bad as before the surgery, but it's still not great to watch. I worry she'll fall off the bed, considering how close to the edge she is.
"Easy, you're going to fall off the bed," I didn't think the movement would cause more pain. I text Drift and try to comfort Jamie, "I told Drift to get here."
She lets me lie next to her. I wouldn't be surprised if Crosshairs takes a picture before the two mechs enter the room.

Drift tells me I can stay where I am as he replaces the IV bag. How long before Jamie yells at me to leave?
Drift continues to let me stay and sets up Jamie's tablet with a movie on the bed. Oddly, she's quiet as we watch the movie.

"What did you do?" I ask Crosshairs as we leave the room.
Crosshairs sighs, "we decided, for now, we're using sedation to help with pain," I knew she was unusually calm, "this is good for both of you."
"How's making her feel more vulnerable helping?! How the frag did Drift agree to this?!"
"It was his idea."
"She's more comfortable," Drift adds as he closes the door, "but I can't use it for long."
"Sure, she looks comfortable, but who knows what she's thinking?!"
I go to my room, close the door, sit at the desk and look at the picture I still haven't given back.
"This isn't helping her if she still thinks she's not safe."

Drift POV
Crosshairs has been with Lightning, allowing me to talk to Jamie alone when she wakes up. I tell Jamie what Lightning told me.
"You know we'd protect you. If I didn't believe she's sorry for what she did, I wouldn't let her near you," I assure her, "I know; who could trust someone who killed them? But with the other friends, you trust that honestly, I'm amazed you do, yet you don't trust Crosshairs' sister."
"I didn't take what she did lightly either," Crosshairs adds, "I still can't believe she went that far," he sits on the bed and moves Jamie into his lap, "I don't know what I'd think of my sister if we lost you."
He hugs Jamie close. It's hard to think his sister actually shot Jamie. We've become a close family. I wasn't surprised when he told me he wants both femmes to think they're sisters.
"No, she'll kill you for being with me," Jamie says but hugs Crosshairs rather than pull away and cries. Lighting stares, shocked, before running down the hall. I say nothing before going after her. I don't think Lightning will hurt herself, but I don't think she should be alone after what she heard.

Lightning lies on her stomach on her bed as she cries. I pull her desk chair by the bed, sit down, and rub her back. She looks at me for a few seconds before burying her head in her arms. It's hard to know what to say after what we heard.

Crosshairs POV
Finding out what Jamie's nightmares have been about hurts. Finally, telling us - whether or not she meant to - has upset Jamie. It's been a while since she's cried like this, but that didn't include trembling. Rangeblade rushes in, terrified. The look on her face showing she was expecting Lightning to be alone with Jamie to hurt her. I don't know what to say to her.

It doesn't take long for Jamie to be in pain. She's hesitant to let me lay her on the bed. Rangeblade quickly lays next to her to try to calm her down. Between her fear and pain, I don't think Jamie will calm down. Once I finish starting a new infusion, I sit on my knees by the bed and try to help Rangeblade.

"Isn't there something you can do now?" Rangeblade asks as we struggle to calm Jamie down.
"This will help," I tell both girls as I inject the sedative, "I was hoping not to have to use that."
We hold Jamie's hands as we watch her calm down and fall asleep.
"What happened? I thought Cade and Hound repaired her ribs?" Rangeblade asks as she sits on the edge of the bed, and I take care of the needle.
"Y-yes, but... we tried to assure Jamie she's safe...," I couldn't finish as I felt a tear go down my face. I didn't think Rangeblade would get up and hug me.
"I think they'll be close like you want. It's going to take time."
She tells me to go find Lightning since Jamie will be asleep for a while. Then it hit me; Lightning heard what Jamie said.