Ch. 61

Lightning POV
".. it's fine," Hound tells me for the third time as I watch Jamie, still asleep, "she's still recovering, and the pain medication can make humans tired, even athletic humans."
We played paintball for an additional thirty minutes before Optimus had to leave for a meeting. We could have continued, but Jamie is tired. 
"Well?" Crosshairs asks, smiling.
"No, I will not stop worrying about our sister."
Drift and Hound smile.
"But she is ok, just tired," Crosshairs repeats.
"She doesn't stay away from you. I think she at least sees you as a friend," Drift adds.
I sigh, "ok, now how about you and Rangeblade?"
"I don't hate her, but she's still scared of me."
With nothing else to say, I go talk to Rangeblade.

Rangeblade wants to be Crosshairs' friend but still worries he hates her. Perhaps more time around Crosshairs is all she needs; this will be easy to do. I feel like I need to still show Jamie I will not hurt her or anyone else. I didn't think he'd walk into her room as we are talking and ask her if she wanted to do a little workout. Adding the plan is to watch a movie while we eat dinner when Jamie wakes up.

Rangeblade POV
"Here, spot me," Crosshairs says as he loads the weights on the bar, two-handed-fifty pounds. If he drops that on his neck, he's dead in minutes. I don't know if I can pick the bar up. It's interesting and scary thinking about how our holoforms work. 
Crosshairs does well with the weighted bar for ten minutes.
"You want a turn?" He asks
So you can kill me? No!
I don't answer him. Crosshairs sighs, puts the bar back on the holder, and removes the weights; putting them back on the holder, the weights go on. He looks around the room, uncertain what we could do together. I try to leave before he gets pissed, but he stops me.
"I will not hurt you. I want to be your friend."
I feel like he wants to say I'm like a sister, but it's too soon for that. He pulls me into a hug.

Lightning carries Jamie downstairs to the theater room as Crosshairs and Drift get dinner. The others quickly get the text message Drift sent and join us. I let Crosshairs sit next to me, and I can relax. It's a lazy night watching movies.

This is our routine for the next two weeks, while Jamie is still recovering. Lightning is loving the time with Jamie. I try to relax with Crosshairs sitting next to me. We have had a couple of game nights. Jamie is creative and figured out how to turn a one-on-one game into a team game.
I think now it's how it's supposed to be; friends who are like a family hanging out and having fun. All that's off is Optimus is busy with meetings several times a week. Sometimes Cade and Vivian go with him.

Jamie POV
I'm finally getting over my injury and surgery. Hound is letting me do a little training — but I'm still dealing with pain, resulting in only being able to do a few exercises and light weightlifting. Most of the day, Crosshairs, Drift, Lightning, Rangeblade, and I are hanging out. At night, the others join us. It's great, but I'm feeling my usual depression again after seeing this. I don't want to trouble Lightning or add to what the others need to focus on, but I don't know if I can cry in secret. It'll be concerning to the others if I try to go home. I don't think I'll be allowed to go back to training with Goku and Vegeta for at least a month. Saying I'm tired and need a nap won't work for long. For now, Drift doesn't follow me to his room.

Drift POV
We had plans to surprise Jamie, but she's ready for a nap sooner than I thought. It's a little concerning, but maybe it's normal to feel exhausted quickly after returning to activity after broken ribs? Add she's not fully healed, but her pain shouldn't be terrible that she's crying. She is not pleased I am here, which tells me what the problem is. Vivien had followed me upstairs, but she waits in the hallway as I calm Jamie down. 
You can't catch a break, can you? From fear to depression. It's usually easy to figure out the cause, but she's been here with us, which means it's going to be harder. Add it's hard to get Jamie to talk. Crosshairs, and I think she didn't mean to tell us what her nightmares have been about. 
"Come on, Vivian has a surprise."
I pick Jamie up, and as always, she tightly hugs me. Maybe now isn't a good time.

"Look, you have a room now," Vivian says as she opens the door. It's obvious she's worried now isn't a good time to show Jamie her room. Jamie lets me lay her in bed. I worry she thinks we'll leave, and she can cry alone. I didn't know Vivian was texting Crosshairs about this until he walks in with Lightning, who is not liking the situation. I let Lightning take Jamie out of bed, but I can tell Jamie didn't want Lightning to know about her mental struggle, though she hugs Lightning.
What else do you want me to say then, Jamie?
Lightning says nothing as she tries to get Jamie to stop crying. Lightning is worried. Probably thinking Jamie is still afraid of her. Crosshairs tells her to put Jamie back in bed and lie with her. He tells me to lie on the other side of Jamie. No way all four of us can fit on the bed.
"She'll be asleep soon if you want to wait," Crosshairs tells Vivian.

"What happened?" Vivian asks as I close the door.
"I don't know; usually, we know the cause of her depressed state before she gets like this, or there are obvious clues," I explain.
"It's not you, Lightning," Crosshairs adds, "she let you hold her. Just another one of those days."
"But I don't think she wanted you to know yet," I add.
"I hope she's not needed for a mission in another dimension soon. For one, she's still recovering from her injuries, but I want her to stay here longer," Crosshairs explains.
"I'm sure you're not the only one," Lightning jokes, looking at me, "but I also hope she doesn't have to leave soon. I don't think we're done building our relationship. Now, what took so long giving Jamie a room?"
"What do you think?" Vivian smiles, "even when I said down the hall."
"Well, we have been dealing with challenge after challenge," Crosshairs argues, "no way he was going to let Jamie stay in another room between her injuries and nightmares."
Things are getting better, but I'm worried something else is going to happen.