Ch. 52

Drift POV
I sit on the bed, holding Jamie as she sleeps as Crosshairs tells me about how Lightning wants to spend time with Jamie, but she's worried about pain and if Jamie will panic. He tells me Jamie was calm when she woke up, and Lightning was by the bed. Unfortunately, Lightning thinks there's something wrong for Jamie not to panic.
"... I tried telling her Jamie can be out of it when she first wakes up, and if she was dealing with pain, then she wouldn't want to move," Crosshairs finishes.
"I think watching Jamie panic and deal with nightmares has scared her, but she knows how careful we are with Jamie's pain."
"She's worried about Jamie if you're not in the room. Hmm... should we?"
I know what he's thinking, and we'd be in his room with the door open. I don't know how Jamie would respond, and she's still dealing with pain. This could be a big mistake.

"You want to intentionally cause pain and panic?!" Lightning asks.
"We'll be in my room," Crosshairs assures her.

Lightening POV
I don't know if I like this idea. The fact Jamie has said nothing about me has to mean something. Drift tells me he started a new infusion an hour ago. They're really trying to get me to sit by the bed. Their fault if I have to watch Jamie have a seizure.

I sit on the platform, watching Jamie sleep peacefully. Eventually finding myself daydreaming about the two of us being close and calling each other sisters to the point I feel tears forming. I run out of the room, but Crosshairs catches me.
"I know it's rough, but you have to believe things will get better," Crosshairs says as he hugs me.
Crosshairs insists we sit in Drift's room.

We wait an hour for Jamie to wake up. She looks right at me. Drift moves her onto his lap and sits on the edge of the bed. On cue, Cogman and Rangeblade walk in, both carrying trays. Jamie still has the nasogastric tube in, which worries me. Why, Drift? And why hasn't Jamie asked for it to be taken out?
"Is she ok?" Rangeblade asks, pointing at the tube.
"I think it's fine to take it out, Drift," Crosshairs adds.
Cogman and Rangeblade leave as Drift lays Jamie on the bed and pulls the tune out, resulting in a little coughing from Jamie. 
She's not traumatized from what happened to the point she's mute, is she? After all she's been through. No way there's a drug to make her like this, but even if there is, I doubt Drift would use it. I look at the bags hanging on the IV pole, questioning how likely Drift would use such a drug. Maybe pain medication makes her tired. I take my breakfast and go to my room.

Crosshairs POV
Drift tells me to go with her. I worry about Jamie's lack of a reaction, but he can handle it. 
I sit on the bed next to Lightning.
"Is she ok?" She asks.
I hate telling her I don't know; this is unusual for Jamie. I don't know if she is still questioning if she can trust Lightning or not.
We watch Hound walk by. I rush to the doorway and watch him go into Drift's room.
I didn't know Lightning ran to the doorway. We both get closer to Drift's room. I watch Hound look at Jamie's chest, and Drift, not liking he has to tell Hound how Jamie won't talk when Lightning is in the room. While Hound isn't studying human psychology, he can tell Cade, and hopefully, he can tell us something.
"What's the matter?" Hound asks, "she will not hurt you. She feels guilty for what she did and saved you from Jadin hurting you more than she did."
He does what he needs to do to make sure Jamie isn't getting sick before leaving the room. He walks right by us.
It's concerning Jamie won't even talk to Drift. He still struggles to get her to talk, but he's still successful.

Drift POV
Looking at Jamie's eyes, I think she's still scared Lightning will hurt her — even after she saved her. Interestingly, there are a few friends she shouldn't have trusted, considering her behavior towards Lightning. I think she's still worried we're not safe. I try to assure her we're safe. I don't know how to fix this. I watch Jamie fall asleep and leave the room.

"I don't know," I tell Lightning, hating how worried she is, "this is unusual for her even after all the betrayals she's dealt with, even after Jadin's."
Lightning couldn't believe what I said. I hate telling the story as much as I hated watching the footage three years ago. 
"She's either not sure she should trust Lightning even after being saved. No offense, but I see how that's not enough to forgive—."
"Gee, thanks, Crosshairs."
"... and thinks we're still not safe or is worried how you're on Jadin's list, even if she doesn't know you two have crossed paths twice already. This is still tricky, but I think sticking to Bee's plan is the best we can do."
"She's complicated, and it's a challenge to get her to tell us what she's thinking," I add, "you two go do something; she'll be asleep for a while."
The two leave the room as I lay on the bed.
"What is going on with you today?"
I stroke her hair for a few minutes before going to sleep.

three hours later

Jamie POV
I wake up in a little pain, but I can ignore t as I leave the room and head towards the stairs to get food. Sure, I can eat more candy, but oh boy, will Drift be pissed. That's all that's in the room, so I have to go downstairs. I See Lightning at the top of the stairs, seeing her gun, and try to get away, but I trip and fail.
"Jamie!" She yells and sits on her knees by me, "I have to pick you up."
"No," I sob.
Fuck, this pain is worse than I thought. I forgot my injuries from when she shot me are still healing, but the freshly repaired ribs are what's causing most of the pain.
I hear Lightning talking, terrified I'll pass out as the other day.
"CROSSHAIRS!!" Lightning yells, hoping he'll hear her.

Lighting POV
Crosshairs and Hound come running up the stairs. Drift runs out of the room, terrified. I hug Crosshairs as Hound goes into Drift's room and gets a drug, but I don't know what. Can anything even work quickly so he can take her to Drift's room or the medbay?
"What were you doing?" Drift asks, "you're hurt and shouldn't be walking, never mind going down the stairs."
I hate how much Jamie is crying from pain.
"The only thing I can do is sedation," Hound explains.
Drift nods, agreeing this is the only way. I know he's hoping Jamie didn't cause her injuries to get worse.
Jamie is out within a minute. Hound takes her to Drift's room with Drift following him.
"She's asleep," Crosshairs assures me, "what happened?"
"She wanted to go downstairs, saw me, tripped, and fell. Oh shit, she saw my gun..."
"Damn, she is still terrified," Crosshairs sighs.
I watch a loose tear go down his face.
You thought progress was made? I'm sorry. We'd probably be a happy family by now if I wasn't so stupid.