Ch. 56

Drift POV
I had a talk with Jamie about yesterday, but she's still afraid. She likely will be for a while, between what she went through and the recurring nightmare. It's progress that she'll let Lightning come here to watch T.V. with her, Crosshairs, and me. I'm giving her a small dose of relaxant this time. We're trying over-the-counter pain relief, but I don't think she's ready. Lightning asked if she could claim she made a snack and actually made it. I'm not sure if we're not ready for that step yet, but Crosshairs has a plan. I hate my little lady distrusts Lightning this much, but who wouldn't after being killed?

"Crosshairs says you love brownies loaded with nuts," Lightning says, showing Jamie the box of brownies.
Crosshairs takes one, "get out of here!" Lightning slaps his hand. They smile, hearing Jamie laughing.
"Told you that would work," Crosshairs smiles, "but did you have to slap my hand so hard?"
The laughing ruined my attempt to transition Jamie to over-the-counter pain relief as she complains her pain has increased.
"Should have warned me part of the plan was to make her laugh," I scold and elbow Crosshairs in the gut before going to the medbay. I know Jamie is laughing at what I did, but I couldn't resist.

I return to see Lightning trying to help Jamie with the pain. I start an infusion while thinking I should take some x-rays while we're here. This seems to be a very slow recovery. Lightning holds Jamie on her lap, trying to distract her, but there's not much that can be done. We know Lightning feels so much guilt watching Jamie go through pain. I assure her it's not as bad as after surgery, leaving out I think by now Jamie shouldn't be in this much pain.
Lightning continues to hold Jamie as we watch the movie. She had to put her feet on the coffee table so Jamie could be more comfortable.

"Drift, look," Crosshairs whispers halfway through the movie. We both see Jamie has fallen asleep. It's unusual for Jamie to fall asleep during her favorite movie, but when she's up half the night with nightmares, "are you comfortable enough to stay there?" Crosshairs asks Lightning.
"I'm fine, but is she going to be when she wakes up?"
"We'll be here," Crosshairs assures her.
Lightning let herself fall asleep. We get a couple good photos.

Lightning POV
I wake up feeling Jamie moving on me. Crosshairs and Drift watch, but aren't doing anything. She must not be afraid as she calmly gets off me and walks to the bathroom, noticing the IV tube isn't connected to the IV.
Drift tells me he gave Jamie a smaller dose of pain relief, and the infusion finished ten minutes ago.
"It's three in the afternoon; I think it's time to go home for dinner," Crosshairs suggests when Jamie returns.
"Let's surprise the others," I suggest, looking at Jamie. She only nods and takes my hand.
I don't think this is over, but this is a good start to building our relationship. I place her on my shoulder of my bipedal form before we leave.

The others are happy to see the small steps Jamie has taken today, aware this will take a while. I look at Rangeblade, wondering how much progress has Crosshairs made trusting her? I think I've been causing a distraction rather than progress made with their relationship.
Drift takes Jamie to his room to do another infusion before dinner.
"Did he sedate her again?" I ask Crosshairs.
"No, but I worry the nightmare will scare her, and this would have been for nothing."
"So, do you trust Rangeblade?"
"She's been worried about Jamie and how this problem would end," Crosshairs explains, "though considering how long it's been, how distracted we've been."
"You just don't want to say it; that she's not an undercover con."
I elbow him in the gut before walking away.

It turns out Hound wanted to take x-rays of Jamie's chest.
"...no, it's normal," I hear Hound tell Drift, "for a month, but her pain would be a lot worse had we not do the surgery."
"Which you wouldn't have done if it wasn't for a rib puncturing a lung."
"I don't know; the pain is rough, but with what she's been through already..."
Jamie lies on the bed as an infusion runs.
"He couldn't wait until you're in Drift's room?"
"No," Jamie replies in pain.
"Oh."
I sit by the bed until the infusion finishes. By then, dinner is ready. Jamie lets me carry her to the house. The others are happy Jamie is doing a little better, and things are getting better with our relationship. Crosshairs is right to worry about how she'll be tomorrow after having the same nightmare she's had every night. I think that will take a little more time to cease. I don't know if sleeping in the same room as Jamie will help.
"It's going to take time," Drift says, "you know there's still work to be done."
"I worry Crosshairs could be right, and the progress today - while small - will be erased," I hug Drift as tears roll down my face, "but this is a good first step. I don't know if we'll end up starting over tomorrow or not. If it'll be a few days before the nightmares stop and we don't have to start over. It's hard knowing this time is different."
"Hey, uh, I have an idea," Rangeblade jumps in while Crosshairs stands behind her, "let's watch T.V. From what I've heard, the pain medication makes Jamie sleepy, and if she's relaxed; she should fall asleep. I think while Lightning is holding her is better."
"That might work," Crosshairs agrees. I hate how Rangeblade jumped at the sound of Crosshairs' voice, "easy, I tell you every time I talk to you, I'm not going to hurt you."
We know this might not work the first night, but it's something the five of us can do - and the others can join us. Finally, the start of good progress.

Jamie once again fell asleep on me as we watched T.V. Drift let me put her to bed, though I don't think she'll know I carried her to bed.
Please don't let her have nightmares tonight.