Ch. 41

Crosshairs POV
It's been five hours; Lighting cried herself to sleep. Hot Rod and Prime joined us once fake Cogman was taken care of.  Does it matter if we've been sitting under this tree for five hours as we wait to hear about Drift?
"Crosshairs, he wants you," Hound says before we realize he's standing by us in his bipedal
"I'll take her," Prime says, "best not to leave your bipedal mode here."
I move Lightning off me and by Prime.

We walk into the barn before activating our holoforms. Hound tells me what Drift did and what he had to do before going to the medbay section. Drift stares at the wall until he hears the chair move close to the bed.
I can see his bandaged abdomen as he sits up and reaches for my hand.
"Easy, you're going to be ok."
I get him to relax, and I take his hand.
"I'm sorry," he apologizes.
This is tricky; I doubt it's the pain medication he's on. I know there's still the pain in his heart, but he feels bad I'm seeing him like this. I doubt he's been told Jamie is ok, and now feels regret she could have come back to be told he's dead.
"I'm not mad. I know this is hard on you. It's hard dealing with not knowing if our little lady is ok. It's hard seeing my dream of Lightning and Jamie being friends — even considering each other sisters — being nothing more than a dream I should give up on."

Hound tells me Drift is stable to go in the house. Prime is supporting Lightning.  I'm taking Drift to my room. This is when having medical supplies in Drift's room is convenient. I'd rather it seem odd we're sharing a bed than leave him alone in his room. He's also going to need my support beyond pain management.
"Dinner is served," Cogman announces, carrying two trays, "I swear it's me."
I take a tray, and Cogman puts the other on Drift's lap, refusing to look at either of us.
Did he have to watch fake Cogman?
"Cogman, wait!" I call. He turns to face us, "you don't mean what fake Cogman said, do you?"
"No," he says in a sad tone, "that glitch fueled all that scrap with one opinion of mine. I might as well say what I think... I don't understand how a human like Jamie is part of the Autobots team, BUT I SWEAR I NEVER THOUGHT SHE SHOULD BE KILLED!" He yells, thinking that'll show he means what he says.
We both catch a stray tear go down Drift's face. Cogman leaves the room before I can say anything.
"What's wrong?" I ask.
"He doesn't know Jamie enough to understand why Prime lets her stay on the team," now tears roll down his face, "and he likely will never  get a chance to understand."
He's likely right, and it hurts.

Optimus Prime P.O.V.
How much more can things fall apart?  Lightning can't stop thinking about what she's done and ends up crying.   I can tell Cogman is worried the others hate him and worried about Jamie.  I worry about Drift's mental state for him to try twice in the short period since Jamie was shot. He's lucky the damage is minor, and he'll only be dealing with pain.  I fear Crosshairs and Lightning might think the same soon. I don't understand why you're doing all this to us, Primus.

Lightning POV
I wait an hour to go to Drift's room. I worry about how much pain Drift will be from his injury and surgery, but I didn't think he'd be crying.
How bad is this pain?
"... she's a fighter; she'll be ok," Crosshairs says.
Frag, so it's not pain from his injury — at least his self-inflicted injury. I broke his heart, and even if Jamie isn't his romantically, I broke Crosshairs'.

I didn't think Rangeblade would come into my room.  She sits on the bed and hugs me.
"Don't even bother," I tell her while looking at the picture I have, "this wouldn't have happened if I didn't kill her."
"You should have talked to him. Crosshairs knows you want to spend time with him after all this time apart. I doubt he or Jamie would have had a problem if you wanted to spend a day with just Crosshairs. You know the vacation was planned. They would have made things work."
"Shame, Crosshairs isn't hearing you say this. A con wouldn't be able to lie and say all that."
Rangeblade hugs me, "I can't tell if he trusts me or is too focused on the other issue."
"I think it's a little of both. His best friend wants to be dead and tried twice already. He might have lost his other best friend, and his sister is the murderer."
I run out of the room.

Rangeblade POV
I walk out of the room, watching Lightning run downstairs.
"What happened?" I hear Crosshairs ask.
"I-I..."
"I'm not going to hurt you. Why is Lightning running downstairs?"
His voice is calm and concerned.
"She's feeling so guilty about what she did that's resulting in Drift trying to end his life."
"Stay with him; I'll go talk to her," Crosshairs instructs before running down the stairs.

Drift is already asleep when I walk into the room. What troubles me is the IV medication. Why does Drift have medical supplies? And why is he and Crosshairs — though I assume the others are — trained this in-depth about human biology and medicine? I know Hound would be and maybe Prime, but why Crosshairs and Drift?
The only good thing is he can recover in his room. I wish he could recover mentally.

Crosshairs POV
It's a relief Lightning didn't leave the property, but it hurts she's back at the spot where I made her makeshift memorial. She sits on the snowy hill and cries. I sit next to her and hug her. 
"You're not a murderer."
"Yes, I am," she sobs.
I hate it's too soon to know anything and prove her wrong.