8

I stood in front of the mirror in my room in a blue gown with a cap in my hand.

I knew people usually held major graduation parties but I really didn’t want one. I know those things costs money and I would either my parents would keep it or it would help me pay for college.

“Alba! Are you ready?! We have to leave!” my mom yelled.

“Coming!” I sighed as I placed the cap on my head and walked down the stairs.

I heard a sigh and looked at my mom who had tears in her eyes. “I can’t believe my baby’s graduating.”

“Don’t cry mami.” I said as I hugged her.

“I’m sorry…” She sniffled. “You’re just growing up. It’s like you were just born the day before yesterday.”

“I know, but I’ll always be your little girl okay?” I said and she nodded, pulled away and took a deep breath.

My dad then entered the room. He sighed and smiled. “Te ves bella.” (You look beautiful.) He hugged me.

“Gracias papi.” I pulled away and looked at all the bags in the hallway.

Most of them were my family’s since they were going to Mexico but one was mine because I was going to stay with Dinah for a few days. My mom and dad agreed without much hesitation, glad that I wouldn’t be alone.

“Princesa, are you ready?” my dad’s voice pulled me out of my thoughts.

“Yeah.” I smiled. We walked out of the house and to the car.

“How long is it going to be?” Mari asked when dad parked the car.

“I don’t know. Two hours maybe.” I said as she held my hand. I was looking around, trying to spot Dinah and saw her not to far away. “DJ!” I yelled and she smiled when she saw me.

“Hey you.” She hugged me.

“Hey.” I pulled away from her. I heard them start calling the students to take their places. “I have to go but I’ll see you later, yeah?” she nodded and I hugged all my family members before getting ready.

----

I walked towards my family with a diploma in my hand.

My mom ran towards me, engulfing me in a hug. “I’m so proud of you.” She gushed.

I hugged her tight back. “Thanks mami.” I hugged my siblings next then my dad.

I hugged Dinah last. “Congratulations Baba.”

I laughed. “You’re seriously calling me Baba now?” She nodded. I rolled my eyes playfully. “But thank you.” I turned to my family. “I’ll ride with Dinah and meet you guys at home?” They nodded and Dinah and I headed to her car.

“So you nervous to meet the girls?”

I nodded. “Super.”

She squeezed my hand. “Well don’t be. You’re going to be fine.”  I nodded.

We pulled up to my house not long after and I went to change into more comfortable clothes. I came down in sweats and tank top and saw all of the bags were gone.

I walked out where my family was and up to them. “You know the rules Alba.” My dad said and I nodded. He pulled me into a hug. “Yo te extrañaré.” (I’ll miss you.)

“Te voy a extrañar demasiado.” (I’ll miss you too)

My mom hugged me next. “I love you Alba. Stay safe.”