until death do us part

Mafia AU (based on the FOX show Gotham)

The reader is Bruce Wayne, and Dacre is the Joker (Jeremiah Valeska)

There's a note on M/N's bed. He has been searching for Dacre for over a month now and there's a note on his bed written in distinctly neat and familiar handwriting.

M/N rushes over from where he was frozen in the doorway and picks it up without even thinking about the various ways a note could be dangerous or even thinking about telling his roommate Joey. Joey would never let him pick up the note, much less investigate whatever it might have a clue for.

M/N flips open the note, ignoring the neat cursive of his name written on the front. The inside of the note has a few doodled hearts in the margin. Inside of the hearts is Dacre's handwriting, which says that he's invited to an address that M/N knows is somewhere in the dark zone. It's most likely a trap, but M/N doesn't have it within himself to care. He needs to find Dacre before he does anything else to the city or to the people that M/N loves. He needs to stop Dacre.

So naturally, M/N leaves the apartment immediately to find the address without telling anyone where he's going.

He slips through the alleys and streets of the dark zone easily enough. It's not hard to hide in the shadows of California, especially when the sky is steadily growing darker. It will probably be completely dark by the time M/N reaches the address, he thinks. Not that he minds. That should make it easier to sneak up on Dacre if he needs to.

M/N reaches the address when the sun is just about to set. There's just a few rays of light still peaking over the horizon, painting the sky a deep red, with splashes of dark orange and purple. The sky is a strangely peaceful contrast to the chaos and darkness shrouding Gotham right now. It reminds him of a simpler time, when they weren't cut off from the mainland––when they still had hope for a better California. It's a time that M/N misses, in retrospect.

Looking away from the sky, M/N surveys the building that the address led him to. There's something that resembles a shrine in a hole outside the building. Inside, there are candles with Dacre's likeness on them as well as a bigger version of the painting propped up against the back. It's creepy, and vaguely reminds him of Charles Mansons' cult. What's up with the phsyco's and their cults? He's definitely in the right place though, but why did Dacre bring him here?

There's only one way to find out, he thinks as he cautiously walks up the stone steps, to what is probably a trap or certain doom. Or both.

The wooden doors creak as M/N pushes them open and cautiously walks inside. What he sees inside makes him freeze in his tracks.

On the path in between the pews, there are flowers––red rose petals––strewn across the floor. Dacre is at the front of the room, wearing a deep blue suit and a white dress shirt with a black tie. His hair is slicked back and he's wearing dark red lipstick (and possibly other makeup, but M/N isn't an expert unlike Sadie and Mille). He's wearing the ring that M/N gave him a week after meeting him, and that alone is like a knife stabbing M/N in the gut. It's bittersweet and reminds him of better times, happier times.

There's also a priest who looks mildly traumatized standing by Dacre.

A few seconds later, music starts to fill the room, echoing off the walls. M/N looks around and his eyes settle on a literal orchestra (who also look mildly traumatized). He glances at Noah and Finn, who were standing off to the side in red dress shirt's and black vest's. Noah was holding something. He doesn't know what, but he can only hope that it's not a bomb. The man behind them was holding a large machine gun, the nozzle aimed near Finn's side.