slow dancing in the dark

Billy and M/N were supposed to be studying but, no, they were sat smoking cigarettes out of M/N's bedroom window and watching the sun go down. In that moment the pink hues from the sky were hitting the side of the pretty boy's face.

It made him glow, it touched on every freckle and made the sparkle in his eyes impossibly brighter. He was smiling, not with teeth, just grinning quietly with his lips light. They were plush and rosy. He was in his own world, totally clueless to the shit-show that is Hawkins.

Billy could cry just looking at him, he was genuinely the most beautiful thing he'd ever seen. He will always remember the first time he saw Harrington, in the school parking lot. His heart literally stopped the second he laid his eyes on the fluffy-haired boy. The emotion overwhelmed him, he couldn't believe such a perfect creature existed. He hadn't been able to look away since.

That smile was intoxicating. He wondered why he never saw M/N smile anymore. L/N still had his basketball shorts on, had pulled a sweater over his t-shirt. Billy had gone home with M/N straight after practice but Billy changed with everyone else in the locker room, he wondered why M/N didn't and why he still hadn't put on nicer clothes. The pretty boy turned to face him and blew smoke in his face, it snapped Billy back to reality.

"We should probably study you know?" M/N whispered, voice lazy. Billy wanted to kiss him, he was so soft, so delicate. Billy wanted to stay with him like this forever.

"I think we both know that's not gonna happen, pretty boy." A twitch of hurt crossed over M/N's face and he looked at the ground. Billy wondered if he said something wrong, he wondered if M/N actually wanted to study.

"You know I hate it when you call me that." M/N's voice was too quiet, too timid.

"I actually didn't know that."

Billy knew that calling M/N a pretty boy sounded like mockery, sounded like he was trying to taunt him. And maybe he was, maybe he didn't want M/N to know that he dreams of kissing him every night. But surely M/N had to know that there was a truth behind it, that behind the joke the reason Billy called him it was because M/N L/N actually was the prettiest boy in the world. Billy didn't like all this confusion, he didn't like it when M/N's smile disappeared.

"How come you never shower at school after practice?" M/N looked at him again with a frown, squinting.

"What?"

"You know, after practice when we all go to shower and you never do. I mean you're still wearing your gym clothes right now N/N." M/N looks outside again, he's silent for a moment.

"I dunno, I don't like showering in front of loads of guys. It's queer." Ouch, that stung.

Now that wasn't the real reason why M/N never stripped in front of his teammates, far from it. But he'd never let that gang of unforgiving douchebags know that he had never stripped in front of anyone. The truth is M/N hated his body, his face, his everything. And it wasn't just a little self-esteem issue, he hadn't looked in a mirror for weeks, hadn't looked at himself in the shower for months, hadn't liked the way he looked for his whole life. He knew which outfits looked okay, knew how to fix his hair, knew how to fucking shower. He didn't need to have his eyes open to do all of that. Whenever he caught a glimpse of himself his heart fucking plummeted. His eye bags were too deep, his nose was too big, his legs were too long, he didn't have enough muscle, he was too skinny. The list goes on. He was repulsed by his own body. That would make a normal person despair, but Steve had just learnt how to live with it.

Billy had gone quiet, he was staring outside. M/N didn't know what to say, he hoped that they'd just drop the subject. Billy would never understand, he was perfect in literally every way. Billy looked like he had been fashioned out of gold and marble. Whenever M/N listened to songs about beautiful people, he only pictured Billy. And Billy knew how he looked, he knew damn well the power he had over people and that made him radiate confidence. There wasn't a single day where M/N didn't envy the stupid mullet boy with olive skin.