The Thing In The House On Maple Street

Horror cause I like it. Sue me.

3:06 AM

The buzzing of a phone draws Dacre from his sleep. He turns the bedside lamp on, wincing as the light floods his room. He picks up his phone and furrows his brows as he sees who's calling him.

Y/N

Why would Y/N be calling him at 3 in the morning? Dacre accepts the call and presses his phone to his ear.

"N/Ns?" His voice sleep-slurred but his concern is more evident.

"Dacre, you've got to help me, there's something in my house." Y/N's voice is shaky on the other end of the line. Like she had just been crying.

"What?"

"In my house, there's something in there."

"What's in there?"

"Something, it just walked into my room."

"Like an animal?"

"No, I don't know what it was, but it wasn't an animal."

"Y/N, calm down, where are you?"

"I, I don't know."

"You don't know?"

"I just kept running, I don't know how far, I was so scared." The young woman's voice cracks at the end of her sentence and new tears swell up in her E/C eyes.

"Okay, just don't move, just help me figure out where you are, I'm going to come and get you," Dacre says, getting out of bed and moving to find his jacket. He changes into a pair of jeans and puts his shoes on before getting in his car.

About 20 minutes later Dacre pulls into the church parking lot. He looks around and doesn't see any sign of Millie so he decides to call her. The sound of a phone goes off in the distance. Dacre leans forward a little and focuses his hearing. The phone picks up and he can hear Y/N's tattered breathing on the other end.

"Y/N, it's me." He says, his tone is soft and comforting. A few seconds later Y/N creeps into his field of view from an entryway of the church. "I can see you. It's alright, you can come out."

The smaller woman hangs up and hurries over to the car and gets into the passenger side.

"Jesus Y/N."

She throws her arms around her boyfriend and sobs into his chest.

"It's okay, hey It's alright. Baby, what happened? You're shaking." Dacre asks, cupping her tear-stained face with one hand while the other rubs her shoulder. "Something scared you."

"Oh my god, it was awful."

"Are your parents home?"

"No, they're sorting out family business upstate and Ellie's (Your little sister(just a name)) having a sleepover at a friends house."

"Why didn't you call them?"

"You were the first person I thought of to call, I know it sounds stupid but I've always felt safer with you. Doesn't matter if we're romantically involved or not."

"Hey," Dacre coos, brushing her hair from her face and tucking it behind her ear. "It's not stupid Y/N, I'm glad I make you feel safe. But why didn't you call the police?"

"I, I didn't know if it would be in there if I even, I only saw it for a few seconds."

"Saw what?"

Y/N sighs, heavy and shaky. As if she doesn't know how to tell him of the horrors she's seen. Dacre strokes her cheek to coax her into talking. "Just start from the beginning."