True Colours

You with the sad eyes. Don't be discouraged. Oh I realize, It's hard to take courage. In a world full of people, You can lose sight of it all. The darkness inside you, Can make you feel so small

Neil grunted, throwing Billy into the wall. Susan held her hands over Max's eyes, protecting her from seeing her stepbrother and stepfather fight. Max knew it was happening, she knew what it sounded like. What it looked like. She'd seen a tear escape Billy's eye after one before. Unfortunately, Billy bullied her for knowing what happened. He thought she pitted him. He thought she thought he was weak just like his dad did. And for Susan...well she didn't do anything but watch with fear. She didn't step in like a mother would. It made Billy agitated. His mother would've stopped Neil.

His head hit his pillow and his eyes closed. Trying ever so hard to forget about the words his father spoke. Failing to free his mind from the insults and swears that poured out of his father's mouth, he growled and turned over. His eyes opened and he decided to think of something else. California. His mother. Anything. He felt so weak. Just as weak as his father claimed he was. Tears escaped Billy's eyes at the thought of everyone finding out his fears and insecurities. Would his mother find him weak? Of course she wouldn't...but Billy didn't know that.

Tommy and Carol were pretty much cackling after Billy shoved a freshman into a locker. He was mad, taking his anger out on another human being just like his father did. He wanted to prove to everyone that he wasn't weak, that he wasn't the pussy his dad accused him of being. No matter what happened or what he did, Billy still felt weak. The girls he brought home praised him, and he loved it. People at school brought his confidence back up when they cheered him on in fights. So, Billy did what Billy did best. He slept with random girls and brawled at school. Even if Neil broke his self esteem all over again, it was the only way he would get it the attention he wanted.

Show me a smile then, Don't be unhappy. Can't remember when, I last saw you laughing. This world makes you crazy, And you've taken all you can bear. Just, call me up, 'Cause I will always be there

There was one person that Billy could practically milk compliments from was his true best friend. Y/N L/N. She was always there for him in fights, awaiting his command or permission to join in. They shared laughs, hugs, happy tears while watching cheesy movies, and good memories. Even so, he never noticed it when she would avoid him every time where was a girl by his side.

To be completely honest; no one noticed. She was basically invisible to everyone except for him. It wasn't her fault, she really did try to make friends and get noticed by humanity. Billy only originally realized she existed because no one else did. What he didn't know, was that the day that he started talking to her was the day her life officially started.

Bumping into people and stumbling over her own feet, Elia raced to get to class. She was five minutes late, she didn't actually care- but her family did. It was crowded in the halls, as per usual, and that meant it would take longer to get to her class. 'Why not ditch at this point.' She agreed with her thoughts and sat down against the nearest wall, closing her eyes and drifting into wherever her imagination took her.

"What's a pretty girl like you doing by herself?" Y/N's head snapped to where the voice came from. A handsome blonde teen leaned against the opposite wall. He had a curly mullet, and his tight denim jeans were hugging his legs. Her eyes traveled up his body, glancing at his unbuttoned shirt, then at his half smirk.

"Me?" There was no possible way a man that gorgeous was talking to her. Y/N denied the very thought. No one talked to her. Not even Nancy, who everyone thought was an angel and a nice girl. His nod went against her theory, making her furrow her eyebrows and tilt her head. "Why? No one does."