Part 9

"Evelynn, your majesty" She pulled away to reveal her face to him once more.

                                   ~ 

He drew closer to her. To breath in her sent once more as they finished dancing to the song. Evelynn's chest rising and falling in sync with his. Azrael looked down upon her. Evelynn's cheeks were flushed and pink. The music shallowed out and finished. Evelynn looked up to Azrael and lowered her head in condolence. 

She unwrapped her arm off his armored shoulder and started to pull away from him. Her breathing becoming deeper with every breath she took.

Azrael unwrapped his arm around her waist and took her hand in his.

Evelynn flinched at his sudden touch. Her shoulders arching back. His hand gently holding hers. Her shoulders remained stiff. He drew her hand closer to his face as he held it in his.

Evelynn's heart beat in her throat. Her shoulders were still stiff as he held her hand. He gently pressed his lips on her hand. Evelynn's fingers twitching. His lips were hot on the back of her palm.

Evelynn's eyes widened as she inhaled snuffing out the feeling. The flicker of flame. His lips left her hand. He held her hand gently as Evelynn struggled to keep her knees from buckling beneath her. The night playing in her head like a film. Evelynn looked down as he bowed to the king. Hiding her eyes , Evelynn let go of the King's hand. Feared for he would remember. What she was.

Azrael wanted to grasp for her touch again. "Evelynn" he mumbled hearing her name on his lips once more. "Evelynn Princess of the Southam Wastes" A song on his tongue. Her crystal blue eyes and ebony black hair a faded memory a piece in the king's puzzle of a mind. Azrael looked back to face her silhouette of green. 

Her hair swaying in gold and jewels. Her crown catching the shining moonlight. 

Evelynn held her breath and lowered her head as she walked away from the dance floor. The crowed not pausing to stare or glance at the girl who was dancing with the prince. Evelynn looked back to see Azrael. 

A sudden gust of wind blew out the flame that they had both ignited. Another dress was flowing around him. Her head buried in his neck, as they both danced.

Evelynn turned away.

"That was quite a show you put on" A female voice said.

Evelynn turned around to a rose red- head sipping wine. Her dress a pale orange. The tips of her cheeks covered with freckles. She had broad shoulders and a muscular build. Evelynn admired her. The girl had a glass of wine in her hand offering it to her. Her hand near fully covered the glass of wine. Her hand was calloused and red. Blisters were hid behind the glass.

Evelynn adverted her attention to the girls dress again. A simple dress with ruffles and a high neck. To hide her shoulders.

"Thankyou" Evelynn bowed as she was handed a glass of wine.  She wrapped her fingers around the small glass and tapped her feet. 

"I'm Lisandra, daughter of the Court of Heartland."  The red head smiled. Her thin lips parting to white teeth.

"I'm Evelynn of The Southam Wastes" Evelynn bowed her head. A small smile appeared on her lips. 

The lie stretching through her teeth. The heartland court a small part of Eramada. In battle with Athrolila for trade. Hence the girls broad shoulders and blisters on her hands. An archer she guessed.

"This is Rylen and Solar" Lisandra called, as she grabbed a shoulder of two girls. Her eyes directing to Evelynn.

"Hi, I am Rylen"  A small girl with black pixie cut hair extended her hand.

Evelynn outstretched her hand to shake the girl's hand. The girl hesitated for a moment before shaking Evelynn's hand.

"I really like your dress" Rylen said as she shook Evelynn's hand. The comment made Evelynn smile more. Her cheeks blushing. 

Evelynn looked at the girl's hair. Her hair shade similar to Evelynn's.

"I really like your hair. I wish I could pull off a short cut like that" Evelynn complemented still shaking the girls hand. Rylen let go of Evelynn's hand. 

Evelynn placed both her hands at her side. Trying to maintain open body language, like she was taught. She arched her back and kept her chin high. She needed some female acquaintances after all. Ones that can teach her the insides of Eramada's court. 

Evelynn snapped back as Rylen looked down at her feet. She reached to play with her short hair.

"Thankyou." Rylen blushed deeply. "Oh and this is Solar" Rylen reached out to grab the attention of a girl with a plate full of sweets.

The girl smiled a lip smile. Her cheeks puffy, as she tried to keep her mouth closed.

"Want some?" The girl chewed. 

Evelynn tilted her head then shook her head.

"No, thankyou" Evelynn chuckled. 

She couldn't stomach the smell of the girl's perfume. Her apatite disappearing. It smelt like him.

His piecing green eyes gazing at her. The smell of gardenias and pine on him. Him holding her as they danced. As they swayed and moved as one.

Evelynn exhaled as her memory of her duty resurfaced. She had to kill him. And his court.

"I see you like the food" Evelynn made conversation. 

"Yes, very much" Solar smiled. "I am only here for the food and wine after all" She laughed. Her gold rimmed eyes sparkling. 

She wore a gold dress. It matched her gold ribbon box braids. It contrasted her dark skin. Making her shine even more than her extroverted personality. 

Evelynn nodded her head as the music died down, and people began sitting for the first course.

"I wish I was here for that only too" Evelynn laughed. Rylen and Lisandra laughing along. Her duty at the back of her mind.

"We better sit down my fellow competitors " Rylen laughed they walked to the king's table.

"I like friends" Lisandra smiled as the gathered at the very end of the table. Furthest from the king. The only seats that were left. 

"Me too" Evelynn smiled as she sat down. She brushed her dress and waited for the first course. Her friend's laughter filling the ballroom.