Part 41

Leaves creped up the castle walls craving for the sun that had disappeared over the horizon. Azrael moved back the vines as they escaped from the ball. Azrael looked at the girl that held his hand. Her black hair tangles with leaves as they were wandering through the outside of the castle to hide from the stationed guards.

The moonlight on the pillars guided them to the garden. Hand in hand Azrael ran with Evelynn into the garden. Evelynn caught his gaze as he guided her through the vines to the open. Azrael's jaw went slack and his mouth gasped open as he looked to the sky the to Evelynn.

Huffing Evelynn stopped and let go of his hand as they met in the middle of the garden. The dark shadows covering them, like the moon above them lit them up. Azrael raised his hand to her hair. Evelynn lowered her head as Azrael pulled out the leaves that were on her head. Evelynn lifted her chin and brushed his shoulders. Small green leaves flying off and drifting to the concrete underfoot.

Azrael placed a hand under her chin, lifting her chin to the sky as he pulled himself closer. Closing the gap between them. Slipping a hand around her waist.

Evelynn looked up, the stars shining brightly in the sky, as the dark blue clouds hovered above them. The icy river of stars floating across the sky, dimmed by the clouds. She felt his warm hand on her skin. Sending shivers down her spine at the touch of his hand on her exposed back.

Azrael stared at her. Her eyes widening at the sight of the sky. Her blue eyes glistening in the nightlight. Evelynn withdrew her gaze up into the night and returned to him. Her face turned scarlet as his green eyes were fixed on her. Azrael leaned in and wrapped his hand around hers. Evelynn swayed side to side with him as they danced under the stars.

~

"Hey, do you want to go?" Evelynn asks to pull herself away from him. Stopping whatever was going to happen. Evelynn let go of his hand, regretting the way she looked at him. The way she blushed. Play along. She thought. But she was already playing, toying even.

Azrael scrunched his nose up "Where?" At this point, he was starting to fall. He didn't want to fall rather step into it, into the waves of feelings; romantic feelings. Azrael rolled his eyes at the self-pity he felt he saw as Evelynn waving at him at the back entrance of the library. Gods, what have I done. She's everything I don't deserve. I have yet to tell her everything. I'm a monster, what would she think of me when I tell her what I have done to get this Kingdom. What I am going to do to win in this war.

Evelynn waited to learn against the opening to the library. The one Abbigail used when Evelynn was unwillingly introduced to Rayleen. Azrael entered the back entrance to the library following Evelynn. Her expression dulled as she looked at the books. He stood away from her, watching from afar as he pulled out books to read. The two books perfectly balanced them on her forearm. to read with Azrael.

Play. Evelynn suggested to herself. Bloody say something.

Azrael say something. Banter with me.

I'll do it myself, Gods.

Evelynn walked towards him. Placing a book in his hand. She raised her eyes to him.

"You know some people say that I'm a open book," Evelynn ran a fingernail down the spine of the book in his hand. Her voice was low, near a whisper. Throw something back at me. She thought. Azrael chuckled and ran a hand down her back. Evelynn gulped trying to keep composure, as he traced up and down her lower back.

"Well unlike a book, it doesn't fall apart at a touch does it?" He growled low in her ear.

"I'm not," Evelynn shivered. Azrael raised his eyebrows his hand still tracing her back, going higher up her back, near her shoulder blades and back down. Azrael smirked watching her struggle to keep a straight face.

"Your hands are just cold," Evelynn stammered.

"Well hold them then," Azrael stopped tracing her back. "If they are cold, I'm sure your grasp could warm them up, so too say,"

Evelynn faked a smile and wrapped her fingers around his.

~

Evelynn smiled as Azrael struggled to keep all the books she had placed in his arms in balance. His tongue pressed against his cheek as he remained concentrated, watching the tower of books sway and lean left and right as they walked out of the library. Evelynn smiled at the entrance to the stairwell. Grinning she looked at him struggling, as he made his way up the stairs without losing a book.

"Give some here, Gods," Evelynn chuckled, taking the ones that swayed the most off the top.

"Were are we going to read all of these?" Azrael questioned, turning around to face Eveylnn walking backwards for a moment.

"Show off," Evelynn huffed, her lips forming a smile. "We can read them in my room if you would like,"

"Mine's bigger, and the fire is already lit," Azrael added.

"You like competing with me don't you?" Evelynn said taking another book off his pile. Snickering Azrael took it back and placed it back on his pile. Evelynn then took two off him and placed them in her hands. Azrael laughed and took them back.

They passed her room, Evelynn halted.

"I'll be back. I'll meet you there,"

"Okay Princess," Azrael laughed as he entered the next set of stairs at the end of the corridor.

"And your up me for using formalities," Evelynn huffed, opening her door. She spotted Azrael drop a book at her comment. She laughed as he closed the door behind her.

Evelynn placed the total of two books on her bed, noting that Azrael's tower was significantly higher. He took more than three back off me, dam him. Evelynn retrieved the book on the bedside table that Azrael gave to her and her knife. ( It was his, as it was green hilted and encrusted with gold, but Evelynn now claimed it as her own)

Evelynn inhaled as she remember how she had gotten this blade. She reminded herself of what she was to do.

                                                          ~