Part 67

"But I did," Tears welled in her eyes. "And I tried not to," she blubbered, her lips trembling. "So hard. I tried so hard not to love you but..." She trailed off holding her hand over her face, partially covering the tears that slowly dripped down her cheeks. The mix of tears and blood from her face painted a broken picture of such a beautiful face.

Azrael raised his eyes to hers, lifting his head as his lips parted open, inhaling a painful breath that restored his ability to think for a moment. The small moment of clarity and all that he could conclude was that Evelynn couldn't kill him. And that he couldn't even dare to hurt her. He shook his head at her slightly. The small motion echoes a million words to each other. Azrael dropped his blade, making them both jump as the loud clattering of the hilt echoed in their silence. Azrael's glazed eyes remained on Evelynn as he lowered himself to the floor. He placed his hands on his knees looking up at her.

Azrael unclipped his weapons belt and took off his chest plate and cape pain shot through his body but he continued for her. Evelynn crooked her eyebrows at the amour that sat beside him, then glancing at his white shirt she noticed the dried blood on the end of the hem. Azrael's green eyes remained on Evelynn as he took off his shirt.

Sharp scars of all lengths and sizes covered the top of his shoulders. A thin line across his left shoulder to the bottom of his ribs. And a scar on his lowered abdomen had a single line across his right rib that reached the back of his pelvis. The constellation over his left rib clings onto his honey skin.

Evelynn stalked at the sight. His honey-tan skin was a vivid sight of broken memories and wars. His strong muscular build was torn and broken in front of her.

Azrael raised his hands, up to her and placed her hand on his palm. He took her hand in his. It's okay. His eyes seemed to whisper as he guided Evelynn to the marble floor.

He gently lifted her hand and brushed her fingers along the right side of his neck. A thin cut across it, the small divot of the scar along the side of his neck grazed her fingertips as the scar tissue folded over itself. Then he brushed her fingers along his shoulders. Then his chest. Then his scared and tattooed ribs, and his abs. He didn't speak a word to her. Just his green eyes were full of pain. He followed with her hands down to the start of his pants.

Evelynn didn't notice the scars and stories cut and stabbed into his skin. She'd seen him this vulnerable before, but on the beach, under the firelight and in his dimly lit room she couldn't see the dim white lines and scars. Her mouth fell open gently as she exhaled. He raised her hands to his chest, pressing onto his heart.

"This Evelynn, belongs to you." He whispered.

Evelynn broke away from him. Azrael looked up from his body where her hands just were. Evelynn placed her crown beside her. She unclipped her ripped cape and tossed it away behind her. She slid off her amour. Her blue shirt ripped from underneath her amour. Evelynn exhaled as she struggled to pull the shirt off. Her arms ached with every movement.

Azrael intervened and finished pulling the shirt over her head off. The tan-coloured wrap around her breasts started to rip and tear with her breathing. With silent tears slipping down both of their cheeks. Evelynn held Azrael's hand as she guided him on every scar and mark on her. Every memory.

One from training on her left shoulder. Two twins scars from her first battle. One from her collarbone to the top of her neck. A thin c snaked up her neck. She guided him down to her rib. A small scar as long as the nail on the side of her waist from falling off her horse on the beach. Two identical marks on either side of her lower back. Three jiggered ones on her hips. And one scar across her abdomen just above where her womb was. The pink newly formed skin was different to the white ones that covered their bodies. The pink scar that Azrael placed his palm on was the one he pressed against for hours screaming to get help. The one he cried for, as soon as he knew who was underneath that helmet. The one he loved.

Evelynn held his hand. Looking at him. One day he would share the stories and so would she. About the friends. Her castle, her parents and her Kingdom.

Azrael brushed his hand over her cheek. He leant closer to her. He slipped a hand around her waist. Unhooking her hidden blades hidden in her belt. Her grip on him tightened. Their knees touching. Azrael pushed his sword across the marble floor. The gold hilt scratched across the ballroom. He drew even closer. His lips hovering over hers.

"And this is yours" Evelynn whispered. "Every scar and every story."

"Every inch and every mark of you," He breathed. "I already love," Azrael breathed on her lips. Their eyes stared deeply into each other. Nearly two decades of stories to tell. One by one. Night by night. "Every single part of you, good or bad-"

"I love," She shuddered with might be a sob as her lips met his.

The sheer force of their colliding knocked the breath out of both of them. Azrael hand gripped the back of her waistband while the other rested on her cheek. Evelynn's palms searched Azrael's torso and found their place in between his abdomen and pectoral muscles. Her hands grew warm as his skin produced significant heat as they pressed their mouths together messily. The world seemed to disappear around them.

When Evelynn finally pulled away from the kiss Azrael drew his hand from her face smudging blood over her right cheek from the gash on her cheekbone. Evelynn slowly placed her head on his shoulder and Azrael placed a hand in her unkempt hair.

"With every bone in my body, I promise you that I'll never leave you. No matter how mad, tired, sad or drained I am. I am with you until every star in the universe stops burning from the sky. I will be your King. As long as you become my Queen," He whispered holding her. "And I keep my promises."

Azrael could feel Evelynn smile as she rested her head on his bare shoulder.

                                                                                 ~