Part 58

The waves rolled over in a blanket of black; sea rough and whitewash covered the dim sand. The grains scrapped over the bare skin, splitting until raw. Red and pink flesh splintering across the landscape of her body. The low tide pulled the monster from its slumber. Evelynn inhaled and sat up, grinding her jaw as she awoke.

Her calloused and dry fingertips grazed over her neck, still not adjusted to the candlelight cell. Evelynn squinted her eyes as she ran her fingers across the thin clotted crimson line on her neck. The soft skin, cold as her fingers wrapped around the side of her neck, rubbed the clotted wound, feeling the deep rumbling pain of the remainder of him. It burned and ached in her neck, slowly rising Evelynn removed her calloused hand from her neck.

The orange and red flame flickered onto the white wax. Swaying and drifting its light across the bricked cell. The metal sang as the light reached it. Evelynn inhaled, smelling the metallic tinge of rustic dried blood. Watching the candle melt and continue to flicker Evelynn pieced together the lost puzzle pieces, slowly placing them at the right angle, twisting and rotating the pieces until she was aware that the metal bars and rooting bed frame were a part of the palace cell.

Her eyes skidded across the walls, watching the insects and dust float and crawl across the stone. Raising her fingertips to brush the red line across her neck once more a soft, grumble and squeak of springs met her ears. Her head shot to the neighbouring cell, the coat of dust and stench of blood whispering an ear-splitting echo only hers could hear. The burn in the back of her throat grew with every inhale. Evelynn etched forward, gradually shuffling forward until her arms scrapped against the cold metal. Peering through, the candle flickered her heart in her throat pounding as the candle continued to flicker. The white wax dripped down the body of the withering white cylinder and landed on the bronze plate cracking and drying on the metal.

Evelynn's tongue slithered between her teeth, encasing her fingers around the metal bars. The cold metal's burn tickling up her arms. With a breathy inhale a groan replied, the painful and exasperating noise etching out of the darkness' throat. With a flicker of candlelight, Evelynn realized it wasn't the darkness but rather the embodiment of it hunched over a bed, opposite the cold bars she held on to.

The body groaned and moved, standing up with an exhale the dark body whimpered before raising a slender hand to his face. The straw white hair and frayed collar were covered in a tinge of dried crimson red. Evelynn took a step back at the sight. The purple swollen eyes, tilted at her. The bruised splotches and pale skin displayed a story that was not deemed fit for him to tell.

"Princess," The shadow stern man crackled between his split lip. "I was wondering when you'd arrive here,"

Evelynn clenched her red knuckles and rolled her tongue between her teeth. "How did you get here?" A hiss between her teeth. The broken voice triggered pain in her heart, desperation lingering in her chest.

"Well, your most noble consort Azrael left me to rot in here." He clicked his tongue. "Seems he's done the same to you," His face strewn between the gasps in the cell bars.

Evelynn threaded her arms through the bars and gripped onto his collar, "Be glad your rotting in here when you know Athrolila would of done to you. What I could do."

"He did that too. Threatened me," His face blank, dangerous. "You were so close," He spoke softly his swollen eyes squinting, "So close, and I ruined it," He pressed his lips together.

"And you're proud? " Evelynn bared her teeth.

"A work of art I must say," A smirk appeared on the split lips.

Evelynn watched that smile brighten. The bloody and grim smile brightens at the misfortune of the circumstance. She huffed and curled her fingers around the base of his collar. The fabric is folding and pulling at its threads. Her chest heaved and she pulled him into the bars. Creating an echoing rattle of the metal. Evelynn ducked and grasped a shatter of stone in her hand.