Part 44

"So what do you say? Give me a few days and I promise I'll convince you that my side is the right one," Azrael's voice was low, as smooth and as rich as honey, goading Evelynn into saying yes as if it was the most obvious answer in the world. Evelynn stood there patting the horse, lowering her gaze from his face. 

"I think you are all bark and no bite," Evelynn's looked back up as she raised her eyebrows, trying to look unaffected by Azrael's sudden charm, but hating how she knew that she wasn't. 

Azrael grinned wickedly. "Oh, I definitely bite," He strapped the saddle to the horse, pulling the strap tight under its stomach. He patted the horse and adjusted the bedroll strapped on its backside.                                  

                                              ~

"Your tedious Evelynn," Azrael yelled from behind her. He galloped up to her, matching strides.     "Did you just use a fancy word to call me dull?" Evelynn scoffed lowering her reins, her tongue poking her cheek. 

"And what are you going to do about it?" Azrael matched her horse's pace and shifted his weight glancing at her. "And you Azrael are a precious prince who needs a court to look after him," Evelynn chuckled kicking her horse into a trot. "Did they pack your clothes too?" Evelynn looked to Azrael before taking off down Brookthurst Path. As she did over half a year ago to escape him.

                                 ~

It grew dim as the sun fell over the horizon. The tree covering some of the sunlight. The dirt path was a twisting line through the hills and forests. Evelynn stared at the sunset as she made her way through a patch of trees. The hues of yellow and orange melted over the sky. Evelynn spotted a lonely tree that blocked her view of the sun. The branches displaying a black shadow casting out into the grass. She pulled at the reins and guided the horse to the tree. Azrael smiled as he watched her pull her horse off course to the single tree in the ocean of orange and yellow. He tugged at the reins of his horse and followed Evelynn to the tree. Her shadow was a path for Azrael to follow.

                               ~

The sun drifted downwards of the horizon. The shadow of the lone tree fading as the sunset slowly grew darker. As time passed the colour exploded then died out. The dark blue covered the sky with the remaining red and orange streaks in the sky.

                                                ~

"I'm not like other girls," Evelynn chuckled as she tucked a strand of hair behind her ear and placed the flint between her lips. 

"Shut up and start the fire already I'm cold," Azrael's voice was stern as he tried to find the long end of the blanket in the dying sunlight. Evelynn grinning at him from ear to ear as he huffed at the blanket's disobedience. 

"Did you pack anything to eat?" 

"Only this," Azrael pulled out a paper bag. He unraveled it and pulled out a cinnamon roll. "That's all you brought?" Evelynn raised her eyebrows. "For the week?" 

"Calm down I brought gold too," Azrael folded the blanket in half and wrapped it around himself. Sitting next to Evelynn as she leant against the tree. Watching the small fire crackle. Evelynn snatched the cinnamon roll off him and bit into it. Evelynn leant back into the tree, chewing. Azrael took it back off her quickly. Evelynn pouted her lips, her cheeks puffy. "It's really nice," Evelynn mumbled. Her mouth was full. Azrael looked down at the roll. With a bite in it. Glancing at Evelynn he and pulled it into two. Azrael placed his hand out with a piece to her. Evelynn took it and ate it. She looked at his piece. Her lips thinning. "Why did you give me the bigger piece?"