Part 68

Azrael smiled as he clutched onto her hand, looking out to the city below. Her left hand rested on the concrete railing as his eyes widened at the city lights that grew brighter, as the sun began to set over Eramada. It was mere weeks ago that the city was alight with the flame that had Evelynn set. But the light that the city produced wasn't fueled by hatred. It was that of peace and calmness. The flickering of the lights soothed the Royals that stood overlooking their city. Azrael's hands drifted to Evelynn's as the city lights swayed and grew at their presence. The moon climbing over the trees in their view.

Evelynn ran her fingers across the railing. The strange sensation sent her body into lingering confusion. As her hands reached out for him; her head was still spinning at the fact that where her feet were placed, last time a knife was raised over him. Over the man that stood next to her.

Azrael watched her run her hand over the railing and wondered if she was thinking the same thing. The sudden change and confusion plagued their bodies as their past caught up with them. It felt like a lifetime ago, but at the same time felt like yesterday. But they were intertwined with each other and loved each other today, and tomorrow he knew that she'd be there. Waking up next to him, smiling and laughing with him. Loving him and believing in him. But the shadows will always linger behind them, small, dark and regretful.

Azrael took her hand as Evelynn placed her other hand out for him. His fingers intertwined with hers and he held her hand tightly. There they stood. On the balcony where their past will be rewritten and stories told. Azrael pulled her closer ever so gently and in return, Evelynn placed her head on his chest. Her crown shifted as she buried her face in his shirt.

"One day at a time," she mumbled into his shirt. Her voice sounded like she was on the verge of tears but a smile came out of her mouth as she looked up at him. "I love you" Evelynn spoke as if she was competing with the rest of the world.

"And that's enough" Azrael said to her as he wrapped his arms around her. "That was always enough" he added as Evelynn placed her hands on his shoulders smoothing out the green cape that draped over him. The

Azrael didn't need to pray to the Gods as he spoke nearing his face to her, whispering and hiding his voice from the world. As if it would snatch her away.

"And I love you Evelynn."

~

Abbigail's eyes widened and raised her eyebrows as Evelynn caught her stare and cracked a smile from across the table.

I guess. Evelynn's face displayed.

So? Abbigail's eyes questioned.

He's your brother. Evelynn's eyes squinted and a single eyebrow lifted. She shifted her gaze to Azrael as he appeared at the doors. Evelynn could feel Abbigail rolling her eyes as Azrael walked into the ballroom. The filled table with no empty chairs greeted him. His late arrival made all the seated eyes observe the way his body held his head high and his teeth brighten the small smirk on his face.

The meeting began momentarily after Azrael's introduction, Evelynn seated on his left. Her hand searched from underneath the table as he shuffled in his seat. Gently Azrael's left hand cradled Evelynn's hand. His fingers reached out to claim her empty hand from underneath the table. Azrael shifted forward, leaning onto the table cupping her hand. Delicately he pulled her hand to place it on his tight before wrapping his fingers over her hand.

Azrael gawked at Evelynn's attentiveness and engagement in the quite vocal and colourful discussion on the state of his court.

"People's homes are to be rebuilt first and foremost," Evelynn spoke, strong and like the Queen that he knew. The spark in her was the same as the first day that they met. "It would build the economy, community and we have the resources, the people, and the skills."

"And what do you propose?" A man cocked his head up towards her. Evelynn's eyes slid to the man. His dark orange hair slicked back exposing his dark blue eyes and freckled face. Evelynn inhaled and glanced towards the woman seated next to him. Evelynn lips curled upwards as Roselin placed her arms on the table. Roselin swallowed and rolled her eyes at Evelynn, Evelynn let out a low chuckle. The women having a silent conversation with their eyes as Evelynn spoke.

"We have the resources Lord...?"

"Bethrow," The man spoke rolling his tongue over his teeth. "Charles Bethrow."

Charlie Roselin's eyes spoke turning her head to him briefly as Evelynn paused almost a challenge.

"Well Lord Bethrow we have a great deal of soldiers; many with craftsman skills and are laborer's whom happen to live in the city."

You're with him? Evelynn's eyes questioned.

Yeah. Roselin's eyes smiled as her blonde hair fell over her shoulders Roselin ran her fingers through it.

You two are at it? Evelynn's eyes continued. Good for you Roselin.

Bit Egotistical. Roselin replied, And Cocky. She added with a side eye towards Charlie.

A good woman like you can file him down. Evelynn eyes sparkled.

"We have the supplies to provide a home for all whom inhabit the land of the country. After all they have sacrificed enough, its time for us who have the power to fix things do so. For them." Evelynn concluded, she turned to Azrael seeking reassurance.

In turn, he nodded, "Then it is decided."

Azrael glanced towards Lucy who stood a pace away from the table with a tray of full glasses in her hands. Her pale face had returned colour as Lucy nodded to him, a signal that what he was doing was right. For the workers and the people. Azrael caught Evelynn's smile as she laughed along with Abbigail and Rayleen. Both of their crowns matched as the sun caught on them, sending specks of colour across the table. Rayleen held Abbigail's hand - visible to the entire table as they chuckled along. Azrael followed the line of Rayleen's shoulders and met a rolled-up sleeve with a bandaged shoulder. The infection he was told ate away the flesh of his left arm leaving him with only a shoulder.

Rayleen pleaded with him not to pity him after the battle, Azrael agreed momentarily leaving them both in a dreadful silence before Azrael embraced him, holding his brother-in-law in a hug that allowed Rayleen to gradually feel like himself again.

Evelynn caught Riley's smile from the opposite of the table. His uniform was decorated with green embroidery and a cheeker smile than ever. Riley tapped on the shoulder of Marcus who with a similar uniform sat on Riley's right. The newly appointed general sat rather passively to Riley's cheeky remarks.

Audria and Soey tuned in to Riley's effortlessly humorous remarks. Audria sat next to Marcus, her crown and cape a bright yellow, as the Duchess shook her head at Marcus, making him smile. Her blonde ringlets shifted across her cape. Soey seated across from her gazed towards the newly appointed Baron. The boy the ripe age of eighteen, bit his lip at Marcus' counter-remarks confused about whether to laugh or not at the General.

Azrael squeezed Evelynn's hand and nodded towards two girls seated in the middle of the table. Vallie and Rylen sat sipping out of their wine glasses. Vallie's purple cape covered the chair in which she sat. Rylen's fingers drifted over the fabric. Edith sat near them and spoke to Vallie about the book placed on her side of the table. Evelynn winked at the girl who would soon make her appearance to society. Edith the younger version of her sister smiled sweetly back at her.

The numerous people seated at the table all created the new court that Azrael fought to create. Although Evelynn did the dirty work, the unfortunate circumstances in which his commanders found themselves at the end of her blade were well; unfortunate Azrael concluded. But these men and women wouldn't be here without Evelynn. Azrael watched his Queen engage in conversations. Her presence was commanding but sweet and empathetic. Azrael grazed a finger over her hand.

"And may I introduce my fiancée," Azrael commanded standing from his seat, Evelynn's hand sliding off his thigh. "Queen Evelynn Althea of Athrolila." His arm stretched out to her. His palm facing upwards. Evelynn stood up and took Azrael's hand and clapping erupted from their court.