Part 36

"Fine Marcus, 11pm" Evelynn yelled, placing the arrow on the weapons table. She closed the crossbow and clicked it shut with a snap of the bow. Evelynn placed an empty hand in her pocket. She huffed "I'll see you then,"

"I'll try not to overwork you, how about a night ride, with archery?" Marcus asked wiping his sword with his pants. The beads of sweat were gathering on his blonde eyebrows. Marcus pulled the arrows out of the targets, as he placed his sword in its holder, on his hip.

"Honestly anything, I would do anything at this point," Evelynn waved as she closed the door to the training room behind her.

Marcus waved in response as Evelynn disappeared around the corner.

The walls were stained in her shadow as Evelynn walked down the corridor, the sun rising behind her. The windows brightening as she opened the door to her room. Evelynn yawned placing her knives on her bedside table. Evelynn's eyes darted across the room, sensing a displacement. Evelynn turned around to her wardrobe. She opened the doors, and grasping on the wood she peered inside. The sudden withdrawal of the doors ruffled her dresses. Evelynn huffed, unsatisfied she closed the doors to her wardrobe. She gazed out the window to her balcony. The morning light climbing over the carpet in her room. Evelynn eyes followed the light until it reaches the end of her bed.

Her eyes widened at the sight of the small envelope placed on the end of her bed. Thoughts ran wild in her head. She turned to the door, making sure it was locked. Evelynn exhaled and reached a handout, her fingers shaking as she fiddled with the envelope. Evelynn swallowed as her shaky fingers opened the lip of the envelope. She took her index finger and her thumb gently pulling the paper out. She unfolded the cream white paper and her eyes grazed over the red ink.

Evelynn nodded dropping the letter on her bed as she stumbled out the door, kicking her knives underneath her bed, hiding them from sight. The door shut abruptly behind her. The wind rattled her balcony windows as the letter shifted into the sheets. The red ink staining the paper as the cursive letters pressed themselves together to form words that Evelynn read.

Dear Evelynn,

Meet us at 7 pm in the ballroom. Alone.

The final word was still on Evelynn's lips as she rushed out of her room, realizing what she had left behind.

~

Azrael pulled at his collar. He reached between the soft fabric and his neck. His fingers scraping his neck as he pulled the collar out, removing it from his skin. He gasped dramatically as he mumbled. "I'm never wearing this shirt again," He groaned as the fabric shifted back onto his throat. The white laced frilled neck lapped at his jawline. His black dress jacket weighting the white shirt down on his torso. He twiddled his fingers in the hem of his shirt. Azrael flicked his head back to remove his hair from his green eyes, as he looked up.

He saw Evelynn rush down the hall. Her dress flowing behind her. The sides of his mouth twitched upwards as he saw her. Azrael moved out of her way in panic as she made her way closer. Azrael's teeth appeared as he noticed her bowing while she ran, at the sight of him.

"Morning," She huffed, her face flustered. Azrael bowed back at her as she ran past.

"I wonder what she's forgotten," Azrael pondered as she turned a corner. Azrael shoved his hands in his pant pockets as he turned in the opposite direction to the garden. He halted as he bumped into Audria, his hands reaching out to catch her.

"Azrael," Audria greeting him as she took a step away from him.

"Morning Audria," Azrael rubbed the back of his neck as his mind drifted away from Evelynn.