Part 5

Evelynn stood grasping onto the window still. Her eyes wide with fear. She knew exactly what she had to do. But she didn't know if she could accomplish it. Kill the King and his court. Go back to the kingdom that she despites. The Kingdom that hurt and took her people. Single-handedly take out the court of generals and the King himself. She didn't want too. But her life, her parents and the Kingdom depend on it.

Details on who Evelynn was had been hid from Eramada. All that the country and the people know is that there is a female air to the throne of Athrolila. A princess. 

A princess that is going to be in their court. Trying for the King's hand. The traitor amongst them and the snitch.

Evelynn inhaled. Her shoulders rising and falling with her breath. Her heart still beating in her throat. When she saw the King in the throne, she almost scoffed at his presence. The King looking down upon her, she felt unempowered and vulnerable. His green eyes glaring at her. Looking her up and down. Evelynn remembered his response when she stared back at him. His green dragon eyes widened and he continued to stare at her. Like he was intrigued by her presence.

Evelynn shoved that memory and thoughts deeper into her that back off her mind. But it kept on resurfacing. Did the King know who she was? Evelynn bit her lip at the thought. He wouldn't though. She thought.

Evelynn prayed that he find interest in her. So she could stay and take out the court and then him. Perhaps fall in love with her in the process.

Evelynn pulled at her dress. Annoyed, she turned around to her mother.

"Do I have to wear this mother?" Evelynn nagged.

The dress was wide and heavy on Evelynn's frame. The itchy fabric laced around her throat. She pulled at the fabric once more.

"How about this one?" Evelynn seemed more intrigued at the final dress hanging on the clothes rack that the maid had brought in. Her mother stood up and faced the rack. She raised her eyebrows at her daughter.

"The colors of Eramada." Her mother raised her hands to slide the hanger out of the dress. The pale lime green fabric just touching the floor. Her mother raised the dress up to lay on Evelynn's chest.

"Lets try on this one" Evelynn's mother smiled.

"Lets" Evelynn placed the green fabric of the dress in her hands.

Evelynn stood in the body length mirror. The layered green fabric fell off her shoulders. The fabric plunged into a v neck. Her waist was covered with fabric flowers that started at the end of the v neck all the way to the bottom of her hips. The green fabric drooped over her hips and just touched the floor. 

Evelynn spun slowly in the dress. The green fabric twirling around her. She turned to look at  the back of the dress. The laced open back made a prime spot to hide weapons and made the dress lighter on her chest.

It was simply beautiful.

Evelynn stood at the gates of the Athrolila's castle. She walked to her carriage that had arrived on the pavements at the gates. The midday sun shone onto her dress. The gold shoes that she had parried the dress with reflected onto the stone. Like gold glitter on the castle pavements. Evelynn adjusted her gold necklace that drips into the v neck of the dress. The gold and jewels rested on her chest. Slowly rising and falling with her shuddering breath.

Evelynn lowered her head at the carriage driver, as he opened the door for her. Evelynn took one last look at her parents and her castle. There faces unreadable. Blank with pure fear that there daughter will not return. Then Evelynn stepped into the carriage, and turned away from her parents.

The carriage started moving. The gates of the castle were wide open for her departure. 

The town was alive. People roaming the streets. The smell of fresh food from the markets. The salty smell of the beach. She saw her people smile and laugh. There faces lighting up as they experienced there lives living happily within the country. 

A few months ago, Eramada pushed the boarder further into Athrolila. Taking the neighboring towns for themselves. When they pushed the boarders the screams of men, women and children were nothing like what she had heard. The screams kept her up fighting on the battlefields until she near died from exhaustion. 

Evelynn had exprenceied war since she was a girl. But the moment she became of age she met the battlefields of Eramada. Slashing men's throats and taking the land for her country. She met men's blades and words of spite head on. She watched her people die at the hands of Eramada. She will not let it continue to happen. 

She volunteered to kill the Royal household of Eramada herself. By her own blade. As her people did theirs.

Evelynn looked out of the window of the carriage. The sun slowly falling into the hills of her Kingdom. The town becoming more alive as the sun set over the hills. Evelynn smiled as the town lit up as the sun set.

The town disappeared as the carriage met the woods. Trees replaced houses and animal calls replaced laughter. The sun only peaking through the oak trees every now and then.

The moon rose to replace the sun. The daylight dimmed as they reached the boarders of the kingdoms.

"Your Highness." The carriage etched to a stop. The driver faced her.

She arched her back as she arrived at the gates.

Evelynn scratched at her thigh that was covered in knives and weapons. Her hands began to sweat. Her face flushed a deep nervous red.

Evelynn sat silently as the guards shoved lanterns in her face through the open windows, to examine the carriage. 

"Princess Evelynn has come for the King's Bachelor Ball."  The driver said.

"Toll" One of the soldiers said unamused as he placed out an armored hand.

Evelynn placed four gold coins into the guards hand and continued to sit silently.

"Thank you. You may go" The soldier said.  The carriage started moving once again.

Evelynn felt somewhat lighter without the coins in her hand. She had prayed to the gods that she could survive what was next to come.