Part 35

The moon began to grow further up into the sky. The stars shifting over the horizon. Evelynn swished her drink around in her glass as it began to grow silent. Evelynn began to hum. Her humming turned into soft singing. Evelynn sang an Athrolilan tune, in her ancient tongue. Evelynn finished the song and looked up. They all gave her a look. A frightened look.

"Ancient Athrolilan," Marlin gasped. "How-w do you know Ancient Athrolilan?" Pulling back her legs. Evelynn's throat ran dry trying to think of an excuse they'd believe. Evelynn swore, under her breath as the silence grew longer.

"I was taught, by my father. Southam Wastes often know Athrolilan, well they have too, to survive," She lied. She swore again, hoping they do not interrogate her.

"Cool, I guess," Soey responded. "I mean you hide your Southam Wastes accent very well when you speak Tolichia," (Tol-Shia) Evelynn fiddled her fingers. Tolichia was the commonly spoken tongue between both Eramada, Athrolila, neighboring countries and courts. Both Ancient Athrolilan and Eramada was rarely spoken let alone taught.

"Can you explain the song to us?" Audria whispered. "Of course," Evelynn nodded.                

                        ~

Evelynn told the meaning of the song. A sad story of war, and how the Athrolilan people struggled. Until a brave warrior stood up and fought for the Athrolila's people's freedom. Pushing the Eramada's army back, they all escaped to the beach and built a city there and a border holding them safe. They made the warrior King, and he had many descendants that vowed to protect the people until their final breath. The vow was the song. The vow she would one day sing.                                     

                                       ~

Evelynn gulped down air as she finished explaining in as much detail as she could, without exposing herself.

"Wow. I don't know what to say," Collin licked his lips.

"I think a great way to end the night," Audria nodded. "Evelynn can you sing the song again?"

"Okay, I guess I can," Evelynn's palms became sweaty as she spoke.

Her friends all laid down on their mats. All staring up to the stars. The bright lights above told a story of birth and death, love and loss. Evelynn sang, relieving her story.

She was a princess. An Athrolilan princess who loved her people. She grew up loving her people and her family. Training to protect them and serve them as their future leader. She broke the rules and fall in love with a childhood friend that was never meant to be. She'd give up her life as soon as she turned 16. Sent out on the battlefields the first time. She made him vow that he would marry for love. She denied that his choice of her was wrong. She broke his heart to protect him. She couldn't leave him constantly not knowing if she would come back attached physically or mentally. She could not put him in that pain. She could not hurt him. She watched him grow into a man who had the scars of battle and scars of heartbreak. Until Evelynn watched him walk down the aisle. To marry whom he loved. To bear children with. Seeing the light in his eyes return as he fell deeply in love with her. But it wasn't Evelynn. But he was finally free. Free of her. He was safe, and that's all she wanted desperately for him. And the second his son was born, Evelynn rushed to hold their hands and thank them. Tears fell down Evelynn's cheeks as she finished the song. Shuddering Evelynn sat up, placing her knees up to her chin. Rocking Evelynn cried. Her chest was heavy as she remembered her duty. She'd had lied to them all. She will have to kill him, or they will have to kill her. Evelynn silently cried as she knew that they wouldn't survive.

                                                         ~

Arms wrapped around her. Lisandra brushed Evelynn's tears off her cheeks. She hushed Evelynn clutching onto her. "I'm sorry, It's just I will miss you guys if I leave," Evelynn lied to Lisandra. Her chest was even heavier. Evelynn cried louder on Lisandra's shoulder. "Please, please don't ever leave," Evelynn whispered. "I promise I won't," Lisandra hushed stroking Evelynn's head. Lisandra started singing a tune, to comfort her. Evelynn looked up to the sky and tears ran down her cheek. The Ancient Eramadam tune echoing into the night.

                                                                              ~

The sun began to rise over the pond. The woodfern tipping over in the morning breeze. Vallie and Rylen sat up in each other's arms watching the sunrise. The orange, pinks and yellow's melting over the horizon. Evelynn smiled watching them. Wiping her red eyes, clean of half-dried tears. Evelynn looked to her left. Sleeping Lisandra shuddered her hands trying to grab the fallen blanket. Evelynn pulled the blanket over her smiling softly, her eyes bloodshot and watched the sunrise.

                                                          ~

"Marlin come on," Collin pulled Marlin up and to the edge of the pond. "Hurry before the sun rises fully," Collin placed his hands in hers, as everyone sat up and watched. Evelynn pulled her hair back and shuffled over next to Abbigail. Abbigail's eyebrows crossed at the sight. Evelynn looked back at the two.

The pinks, oranges, and yellows melted over the water as Collin got down on one knee. They all watched from under the trees as Marlin's face lit up and she placed a hand over her mouth. Their conversation was unheard from the trees. Collin pulled out the ring. The white pearl shone in the morning sun. Marlin gave a sharp nod to Collin which was an indication to the rest of them. Evelynn started clapping as Collin placed the ring on Marlin's ring finger. Audria, sleepy Lisandra, Rylen, Vallie, Soey and both Rayleen and Abbigail clapped as well. Rayleen even cheered. Marlin pulled Collin out of his kneel and embraced him. Fresh tears ran down Evelynn's face from joy.