Part 53

"I won't miss a second time," Evelynn swiped a leg from underneath him.

Marcus noticed the attempt and jumped before sliding to his back and wrapping an arm around Evelynn's neck. Evelynn threw her legs up over Marcus' head interlocking her boots over his head. Evelynn flinched in his grip, baring her teeth at him before her momentum released his grip. She flipped with legs landing crossed around his head and flung him backwards into the mat.

"You aren't mocking me are you." Marcus said placing his hands on her arms and throwing her off him.

Evelynn landed on the blue mat with a thud followed by a cough. I hope she's okay. Evelynn's downcast gaze caught Marcus' eyes. Evelynn blinked away raising her chin to the ceiling. At that moment she couldn't look him in the eye. She inhaled heavily pondering over her endless thoughts, crashing into her head like a king tide. With another darting glance at Marcus, she placed her elbows by her head and pressed herself onto her arms before bending her back and kicking up.

Landing on both feet she clicked her tongue, "That's right," Evelynn chuckled wiping her bloodied nose.

"I am sorry about that," He said laughing kicking his boots off, clenching his fists risen at his face.

"Sure you are" She commented sarcastically shifting her weight from leg to leg before taking a crouching position with a leg out. Is she alive?

"You are the one who wanted to spar," He said rolling his eyes.

Evelynn mimicked him and rolled them placing a hand out to her direct side. Lisandra, please be safe.

"Let's end this" Marcus' voice was calm. He rubbed the back of his head that Evelynn struck with her foot earlier.

Evelynn gazed from behind the glass panels of the training room. The sun beaming over the horizon. The clouds parted as if the principalities were watching her from above. The sound of Lisandra's laugh filled her head. She would have killed to be here.

"Evelynn?" Marcus questioned holding his pose. "Evelynn get your head back on this country please," He reprimanded. I wished I at least said goodbye.

Evelynn swallowed. "Sorry,"

Her hands twitched and she exhaled creeping back to the place she pleaded to remain alone. Thoughts clustered together and crumpled her words. Evelynn was reminded of the door creaking open late at night. Her heart jumped out of her chest in anticipation for her friend to return, only to be met with a closed door. Her eyes played tricks on her like a child. Evelynn rolled her tongue in her mouth and squeezed her eyes shut.

"Okay Marcus," Evelynn smirked, her eyes flickering open. Evelynn placed a wall between her and the endless wave of thoughts. Evelynn spat blood on the mat from her mouth and bit her bloody split lip. "Let's end this,"

"Bet," Marcus' eyes thinned and turned hungry.

~

"I win," Marcus raised his eyebrows at her.

"Revenge prevails" She grimaced sharpening her sword on the bench. Evelynn flicked the sparks of the blade off the table, falling gently onto the wooden floorboards.

"Come on, you're a sore loser" Marcus decreed smirking at his blade twisted between his hands. She turned to Evelynn and threw his blade next to hers.

"You didn't win it was a draw" Evelynn reiterated continuing to sharpen her blade.

Marcus sighed dramatically as he wiped the dried blood off his knuckles with a small square of green fabric. Evelynn rubbed her arm and snatched her sword from the table. The stone clattered onto the table. The blue stitching of the mat was fraying, and the imprint of their boots on the blue mat rose slowly.