Part 64

The smell of blood rippled through the plains, of the lands descending into hell. The red seeping into the land and the toppling of the crown echoed throughout Athrolila. The glistening of the morning sun only awoke the screams of the land being taken from the heir.

As she rose from the white sea of satin around her the world burned from outside her window. The flames crept up to the bedside table and lapped at the pearl-white sheets. And as the heir to the throne rose from the slumber death put her in, she knew.

                                                                                                    ~

Azrael held his stare as the flames burned across the lands. The hills of Ampepan were orange and yellow, as the catapults heaved the scorching hot tar rocks into the dark air. He stood with his blade struck in the sand, staring as the castle lights in the distance didn't flicker as the fire grew over the mountains. His back arched feeling the invisible burden on the crown on his head. And in that castle in the distance was a Queen who had lost everything. And he was doomed to take even more. His heart within a case of steel ached as he closed his eyes, the taste of her lips and the softness of her skin. Her name was on the tip of his tongue. Was he willing to sacrifice it all for that woman? Azrael didn't know. His destiny - become a conqueror of the land. For the ghost of his father, to satisfy a dead man's dream. But his heart sang another, deadly and dangerous song.

                                                                                               ~

Evelynn threw her sheets off, heaving herself forward. Her body was wrapped in bandages and grazes. She raised her hands to her eyes, to rub away the remaining moments of sleep from her body. Her eyes immediately adverted to the orange and red flickers from the hills out her window. Her heart pounded in her chest, sending painful notes down her body. With a grunt, she forced herself out of the sea of white sprawled around her. Her feet landed in white sheets, rather than timber. Sprawled below her bruised feet were stained sheets and empty cases of medicine and remedies. Evelynn raised her shirt, hovering above her navel. The bandage wrapped around her waist and hips, stained with dried blood.

Evelynn gained full consciousness, her hands beginning to shake and her thoughts rushing through her head endlessly. She placed her hands all over her body, grasping onto her hair, touching her neck, her chest, her hips, her face and finally resting on the bandages over her hips. 

Sudden memories thundered through her body, as she slowly peeled off the bandage. Fazed moments of pain cursed through her bones as her body felt limp as her eyes remembered the distraught melting on his face and the torn green eyes that scanned her like she was a living soul in a dying body. And when her eyes met with him she could feel his anger, his guilt and his love plastered on his weeping face. She felt numb as he held onto her, the noise of his screams and the rattle of his crying piercing her ears. When the bandage finally hit the ground, the Princess let out a harrowing scream that echoed through the castle doors.

                                                                                              ~

Evelynn reached out, her hands gripping the wall, before scratching her nails down the wood. Trying to place one foot in front of the other Evelynn's head bobbed from side to side as a sudden heaviness grew from within her. Trying to stand straight she placed her hand back on the wall, holding her body upright. She pressed her weight into her hand, sinking into the position. Evelynn heaved and retched, the thought of the past sickening. Her wound festering a pain inside of her.

When she made her way into the ballroom, the full table positioned in the middle of the room jolted her back into her senses. Her eyes grazed along the chairs and who were seated in them. All eyes drew to her. Immediately they stood up, their chairs squeaking beneath them. Evelynn felt their stare and glanced down at herself. The creased blue shirt, barely hiding the red line on her abdomen and the straight black pants hanging low on her hips. Evelynn swallowed and lifted her eyes to her father sitting on the furthest chair on the table.