Part 51

Evelynn sprinted up the stairs. Gripping onto the handrail as she ventured up the marble staircase, letter in hand. She busted through her bedroom door, the crimson wax seal melting as Evelynn pressed her fingertips on it, clutching tightly on the envelope.

The court meeting ended momentarily after Lisandra's sudden dismissal. Evelynn in disarray ran to her friend, only to be welcomed with bothered bodies and an empty bedroom. Her common room was empty. Lisandra's warm personality lingered in the room, that was deemed so empty. Evelynn's body grew cold as the ache grew in her chest. Her vision blurred as she ran up the staircase. A trickle of snot dripped from Evelynn's nostril. She quickly wiped it with the back of her palm.

Evelynn pressed herself against the door. Her room made her stomach queasy. The half-closed blue blinds and made bed created an environment that normally felt somewhat like home. The feeling disappeared like Evelynn had been slapped back into her scenes and placed back onto the blood-soaked and war-torn continent she was on. Evelynn ripped open the letter and unfolded the paper.

Dear Your Royal Highness Evelynn,

Athrolila's borders have become corrupt. The official overlooking the immigrant and refugee sector has received harmful information regarding Marlin and Collin. I regret to inform you that they have been killed in terms of afflictions with the Royal Eramadam family. I am deeply sorry. The letter you send arrive a day after their death. I was too late. As I am writing to you, your father is plotting a claim to war. The border patrol has been increased. Please be careful Evelynn. Please come home. I love you Evelynn, my Princess, my friend, please be safe. My wife sends her regards as well. Yours in regret,

Philip Ajay.

Evelynn slid to her knees sobbing. Her scratchy throat became a burning sensation that lingered in her entire body. Her vision blurred as her eyes filled with tears that burned as the tears slid down her cheeks and throat. Her world caved in on itself. It was over.

~

Azrael sat on the white chair upon his balcony. The melting green horizon surrounded the southern side of the castle, as the evening sun drifted over the west. The sunlight shining over Azrael's right side. The beams flickered over the glass and pearl white table. He tapped his fingers along the glass, yawning as he did so. Azrael couldn't help to drift back to them this morning. Seeing Evelynn's blue eyes become so cold and heartless in the courtroom, seeing the disarray upon her face when she watched Lisandra walk out of the courtroom, summoned to war as the light finally diminished from her blue eyes.

Azrael stood up clutching his palms together, his thoughts became hushed as soft wincing echoed through the walls. It was only faint as the space between him, and the sound drifted farther apart. Azrael placed his hand at his side pulling the blade attached to his belt. Seething the blade in his hand Azrael walked back into his bedroom, the muffled crying becoming slightly louder.

Azrael ventured down the subdued corridor, blade in hand. The crown upon his head tilted as he carefully descended the staircase. He scanned down the corridor, flipping his blade in his hand. A quiet sniffle came through the southern common room door. Placing his hand on the door, the blade slicing a line through the lacquer on the wood. Azrael knocked on the common room door. A silence returned his welcome.

To an empty answer, Azrael opened the door. Azrael exposed his sword to the sunlight that shone through the open windows. The beams of sunlight cut through the room. The empty lounges, unopen books sprawled on the coffee table and dying fire exposed to his blade. Azrael ran his hand through his brown hair as the common room grew lonely. The smell of ash and oak only comforting for a moment.

Azrael's ears pricked as the soft, delicate sound of crying muffled between the walls turned into a guttural throat burning cry, as he ventured closer to the private rooms echoing the cry, ascending the staircase he tapped the wooden floors with the tip of his blade, gripped tightly in his hand.