Part 28

Evelynn shovelled food into her mouth as politely as she possibly could. The several appetizers and drinks laid out in front of them looked mouthwatering. Evelynn gulped down the food with half a glass of wine.

Azrael covered his mouth full of food, with his hand. "Audria, come sit here," He patted down the chair the left of him. Audria's head whipped around her bleached blonde ringlets bounced across her shoulders. Skyden, Edith, and Roselin leaned forward to see Azrael's address. Audria stood up and pushed her chair back. Azrael stood up momentarily and grabbed the spare chair to his left and pulled it out for her. Audria blushed and flicked her ringlets, they softly bounced across her back. Azrael lent down and pushed her chair in for her as she sat down, brushing her dress underneath her. She looked up at him and he leant down and pressed his lips on her right cheek. She remained calm and let go of his hand, which Evelynn didn't see that she was holding.

A glass breaking echoed from the end of the table. The subtle "whoops" escaped Roselin's red lips. Red wine spread across the table, over the white cutlery and pearl white napkins. The servants rushed to her aid and quickly replaced the cutlery. The napkins stained a bright red.

The table went quiet. Cutlery rattled on plates. Evelynn glanced at Marlin. The Lord sitting across from her pulled a face at her. She responded with a silent giggle. Evelynn fake coughed to break the uncomfortably silent atmosphere "Marlin how do you know Collin?"

Collin smiled and responded humming "We know each other by"

"We met at the ball," Marlin finished looking at Collin.

"Yes, yes we did," Collin nodded suspiciously.

"Sure, sure," Evelynn nodded prodding at the both of them. She sipped her wine.

Collin looked at Marlin. He shook his head at Rylen as she asked him more detailed questions about how he met Marlin. His pale pink hair shook side to side. Marlin near laughed at him, she put more food into her mouth to prevent her from laughing at him. Marlin looked happy. Her white hair was tightly braided back and a pearl crown was placed on her head. Her pale face filled with colour as she talked to him. Marlin began to get giddy. Evelynn observed her, taking note of how Marlin looks at Collin, and how Collin looks at her.

Evelynn sat forwards looking at Rylen. She was poking her food with her fork not bothering to look at her food but a girl sitting opposite her. Evelynn tried to remember the name of the girl Rylen was so interested in.

It finally clicked, Vallie.

"You should talk to her," Evelynn whispered to Rylen. Rylen snapped back and her eyes shifted to Evelynn. "I don't know," She looked back at Vallie who was talking to Praxis. Vallie's hazel eyes glanced at Rylen, she smiled at her. Her lips parted to show her white teeth. Rylen immediately looked away and resorted back to poking her food. Evelynn sighed and turned to Marcus.

"What's your plan for them?" Evelynn tilted her head at Azrael and Aiden.

Smiling Marcus exhaled, "A whole lot of very competitive sports and training." Marcus nodded. "And drinking,"

Evelynn ahhed and smiled at Marcus. Her heartbeat in her throat as she opened her mouth, "Are you still going to war?" Evelynn cringed and waited for an unpleasant response.

"They have postponed my deployment for a while, I don't know if I am relieved or not, but at least I know I am here for a little longer," Marcus sighed, placing his knife down across the plate.

A wave of relief washed over Evelynn she exhaled and dropped her shoulders. "Well at least you can enjoy the trip away with the males," Evelynn lifted her head, offering to pour another drink for him.

"At least I can," Marcus lifted the glass for Evelynn to pour. Evelynn tipped the sparkling liquid into his glass. He mumbled thanks and Evelynn nodded in return.

~

He watched her eyes graze over the table. Chatting from person to person, she seemed unbothered by his display of affection towards Audria. Azrael was nudged by Aiden. He snapped his head to him.

"Something is bothering you," Aiden said raising a glass to his lips. His sliver eyes glanced at Evelynn. "It's her isn't it?" He answered his question.

"Is it obvious?" Azrael mumbled putting meat into his mouth. He placed the silver fork down on the table and turned to Aiden. "Is it that obvious?"

"No, Azrael," Aiden whispered lowering his voice as he lent forward close to Azrael. "I mean how would I know?"

"You married, Aiden," Azrael raised an eyebrow, then looked at Daisy sitting across from Abbigail. Her braided blonde hair pulled her curtain bangs back from out of her blue eyes. The diamond ring glistering on her finger.

"Well, you don't know until it's too late Azrael," Aiden said, mocking Azrael's facial expression. "Until you have completely fallen for her," Aiden lifted a glass to Azrael.

"Oh no here we go," Azrael smiled, raising his glass to his.

"You don't believe me do you?" Aiden chuckled.

"Not in the slightest," Azrael matched his tone.

He looked back at Evelynn. Aiden's wrong. She isn't fit for him, well his heart would not be fit for her.

~

Evelynn silently traced down the hall. Dressed in black. All he had done was talk about how if Eramada's economy would benefit from Athrolila's people. By making them slaves. Evelynn's throat ran dry at dinner two nights ago as he openly talked about her people as they were mere objects to be sold. Evelynn bit her tongue as several other court members agreed. Evelynn passed the King's empty room and Aiden's. Their doors locked shut. Guards were near stationed at every corner.

Evelynn took down 4 guards and tentatively placed their unconscious bodies on the floor as silently as she could.

She unlocked the door to the Treasurers' room. The door swung open with a creak. Evelynn withdrew her dagger, the moonlight lighting up her blade as she held it over him.

It pierced through his chest.