Chapter 34: Change in plans

"Alright, guys that's enough for today!" You shouted as they plopped to the ground out of breath. "Training was harder today but you all did really well, we'll start again tomorrow morning." It was about 5 in the afternoon and you had decided to finish up earlier.

"Thank you Lady Y/n!" They all waved goodbye as they left the training room.

"You really don't have mercy on them don't you?" Keith chuckled as he leaned on the wall next to you.

"We need to be in top shape for upcoming battles." You stretched out your arms and then your legs. "Who knows what we're gonna run into later on..." You mumbled the last part.

"Paladins report to the Main room immediately." You and Keith looked at each other with somewhat worried expressions. You weren't supposed to meet until tomorrow, what could be so urgent?

Without missing a step you both hurried down the hallways until you ready the double doors. Keith opened one and let you in first.

"What's going on?" You asked as soon as you saw everyone was already present.

"We have gathered new Intel." Tixyan began. "Stolgen, the leader of the Eloxes is going to be visiting the planet we were planning on saving the lions from." He let out a long sigh "That also means that his castle and army will be traveling with him.

"Does that mean we're gonna have to fight against their army? And so soon???" Hunk chimed in, clearly alarmed by the change in plans.

"We might have to-"

"We should take advantage" You interrupted Tixyan. "They'll be focused on trying to take the lions."

"But we haven't finished making all the preparations."

"So we'll finish them. Tell us what we have to do." You were already in the mindset that you weren't going to get any sleep any time soon. Everyone looked at each other skeptically. 

"I mean, she's got a point, we can't let them get the lions, if not it's game over," Pidge added as she crossed her arms over her chest.

"Then let's not waste any more time. Tixyan What do we have to do?"

-

It was all hands on deck and you were completely focused on finishing your task to get to the next. Not a single person was standing around. Everyone had something to do.

Your team had only 5 days to get things in shape and battle plans ready. So far what seemed relatively easy was getting the lions, getting out was going to be the hard part.

If everything would go according to plan the five of you would be infiltrating and reaching the lions in less than 10 minutes. The thing is that after that there was no way to avoid the guards announcing the 'stolen' lions.

That's where things would get hectic. It was calculated that by the time you all exited the premises, you would be surrounded and Stolgan would be there soon as well.

That's where you would just have to pray that Mr.Holt would get there on time for backup. Since the change in plans, the army you had called on from Earth was also in a race against time.

From there, no one could really predict what could happen next, it was all just a gamble cause no one had enough intel on Stolganand his army. You were blind to what weapons or strategies he might have.

You let out a sigh as you sat on the couch next to Shiro. He seemed just as tiered if not more than you. He patted your back and left it there in company as the rest of the team entered the room.

"So tomorrow is the big day..." Lance began as he also flopped on the couch.

"My brain is fried." Pidge took a seat next to you and leaned her head on your shoulder. 

"My back is aching." Added Hunk also taking a seat. The last one to enter the room was Keith.

"At least we get a few hours of sleep this time." You locked your eyes on his, noticing the bags under his eyes had gotten darker as the days had passed.

"Well, now that we're all here." Shiro stood up and signaled Keith to take his seat. He nodded and did as he was told.

"It's a Shiro speech guys." Lance tried to sound enthusiastic but he just didn't have the energy.

"I know we're all tired and completely exhausted, apart from the fact that we're gonna go to war in a few hours-"

"Is this supposed to cheer us up cause I'm not really feeling cheered up Shiro?" Hunk interrupted. Shiro let out a small chuckle.

"But, we've been through this together and we'll get through it together." Shiro looked towards the ground and took a deep breath before looking up at every single person as he continued.

"More than a 'We can do this!' kind of speech I wanted to have everyone on the same page." You straightened your posture and listened closely just as everyone else did.

"No one has to be the hero." He stated firmly. "No one has to fight alone, no one has to plan alone, No one has to give their life." He looked at you for the last part. "We're a team, a family, that means we have to look out for each other. Do I make myself clear?" He had that authoritative tone that made you all shiver.

Everyone nodded.

"Good, now everyone get some rest, we've got a long day ahead of us." He waved as he exited the room and everyone else did the same, although Keith followed you to your room, he seemed more anxious than usual and you thought maybe he wanted, needed, some company.

"Everything okay?" You asked as you entered your room and took a seat on your bed. He stood at the entrance awkwardly and scratched the back of his head. You patted the space next to you and he slowly made his way there, the sliding doors closing shut behind him.

"Keith?" You asked again. He opened his mouth as if to speak but he just couldn't seem to find the right words. You reached out and placed your right hand on his cheek in comfort. "We're gonna be okay." You smiled at his blushing face. "We've got each other's backs right?" He turned away.

"I just..." You lifted an eyebrow, confused by the way he was acting, it was so unlike him. He rummaged through his pocket and took something out. "You know I'm good with this kind of stuff." He opened his hand showing a ring. You blinked a few times, making sure you weren't just seeing things because of the lack of sleep.

"Are you...proposing?" You asked baffled by the actual reason for his awkwardness.

"Are you gonna say yes?" He asked looking at you anxious for your answer.

"Of course!" You threw yourself forward pushing him onto the bed and landing a kiss on his lips. Keith didn't expect that so when you tackled him, the ring fell to the ground with a small ding.

You parted your lips from his and looked at his scarlet face. "You're not going to sacrifice yourself or something like that are you?" You thought twice as to why he was doing this right before the battle.

"Huh? No! no no, I just..." You both slowly got back up and Keith leaned down to pick up the ring. "I just wanted us to have something to look forward to." He slid the ring onto your finger and it fit perfectly. "You know, after all of this is over..."

"I love you..." You leaned your forehead onto his. 

"And I you."

~Celestial-Red~