Chapter 32: Falling to Pieces

"What the hell happened here?" Keith wondered as you both entered what was left of the main building. You couldn't take it anymore, you let go of Keith and rushed inside.

"Kolivan!" You shouted as you zoomed around the building that was in shambles. You could hear coughing coming from a corner under the debris.

"Hello?" You called out. You started removing the rocks, Keith helping you out once he caught up. It was a man, he was obviously injured and losing blood fast.

"Are you the paladins by any chance?" Was the first thing he asked. You quickly nodded your head and started helping him up once the rocks were off of him. "Kolivan, he was in the control room." He pointed towards what used to be a doorway.

"You go on ahead, I'll get this guy to safety," Keith assured, you gave him a curt nod and flew off to find your old friend without a second thought.

"Kolivan!" You shouted. You hear various groans, maybe two or three people more and of course you had to stop and at least help them out from under the rocks. Each one of them kept pointing you in Kolivans direction.

You zoomed past every hallway and room desperate to find him. "Kolivan!" You shouted again and again. As you flew by you noticed something hanging out from under a boulder making you come to a halt.

"No..." You breathed and rushed to his aid, recognizing those tattoos from anywhere. "Don't worry Kolivan I'm gonna get you out of here!" You tried moving the boulder but to no avail.

"Y/n?" You could hear his faint voice. You couldn't move the stone by yourself but thankfully it was only crushing his right arm, the rest of him was scratched up but still alive and moving.

"I made it, Kolivan, don't worry I'll get you out of here." You struggled to find a way to get him out of there, maybe blasting the bolder would work but that would only put him in danger.

"Y/n." He called out weakly.

"I can do this I can do this!" Kolivan could tell you were starting to panic.

"Y/n, it's no use." He tried to reason with you but you shook your head furiously as a child would.

"No! I'm gonna save you!"

"Y/n I can't feel my arm, it's long gone." You crouched down to him, feeling the tears starting to burn your eyes, threatening to fall.

"I didn't make it in time, I'm sorry..."

"Don't blame yourself, Y/n, we were outnumbered." You could hear Keith's jetpack as he rushed in seeing what was unfolding.

"Kolivan..." Keith breathed seeing his sorry state.

"Please just make it quick." He turned his face away from his right arm and you knew what he was asking for. You could feel the color drain from your face. You opened your mouth to decline but nothing came out.

"I'll do it." Keith spoke up and walked over to you and held you by your shoulders to make sure you understood him. "Wait outside, and cover your ears." He kissed the crown of your head and turned away.

You felt an uneasiness in your stomach along with a cold sweat and quickly rushed out of the room without a second thought. You took advantage of the time you now had and helped the others that were injured, but that didn't stop you from hearing the faint cries of your dear friend.

-

"Once Bellox and Ezran were revealed, the others that were going undercover here at the base couldn't take their chances and attacked, only a few were able to survive." You looked back at the few people you tended to and then brought your attention back to Kolivan.