Chapter 37: Beyond

You slowly opened your eyes seeing the familiar healing pod around you. You could also see Keith was just ways away from you, obviously waiting for you to wake up.

You smiled at him and the pod began to open. He was quickly at your side, helping you out and making sure you didn't fall. "How do you feel?" He asked softly as if he spoke louder you would break.

"Well rested and just a little sore." You lifted your right arm and you noticed you could move and flex your fingers normally, you couldn't say the same for your left arm since it was in a cast.

"They were able to put everything back in its place." He took your healthy hand in his, the ring still in the same position you left it. He looked so happy to see you awake but then his expression changed, he seemed sad, depressed even.

"What's wrong?" You asked already fearing the worst.

"About White..." You let out a breath. They didn't know about the exchange you had with white.

"She's gone." You said with a half smile.

"You know?" He looked so sad and broken at that fact. You let go of his hand and reached for your front pocket, happy to find the chip still there.

"Yeah, we had a talk." You put the chip back in its place. "She's free." Keith lifted his hand to wipe away a stray tear falling from your cheek.

"What about the other lions? Are they here? Also, where is here?" You asked noticing that this wasn't the castle.

"We're back on Earth. And ever since you were in the pod, The lions shut down, it's as if they're waiting for you." Keith could tell you were eager to see them so he started showing you the way there. 

You both passed a bunch of different rooms, it looked like a really large facility. Some familiar faces pass by and others not so familiar.

"I'll give you the full tour later." He let out a chuckle.

"How long was I out?"

"About a week." You raised your eyebrows in surprise. "Yeah, we were all starting to get a little worried." You both took a few turns and you finally made it to the hanger. Almost immediately the lions came to life.

They bent down so you could touch their noses lovingly. "I know what happened to White and I'm also very grateful to all of you for being there for me, and taking care of me." You passed by every single lion and place a kiss on them.

"Did they wake up???" Lance skidded to a stop when he reached the entrance. "Y/n's awake!" He rushed towards you and gave you a big hug.

"Hey watch it! She's still recovering!" Complained Keith, but you didn't mind it.

Soon enough the rest of the team walked in and also greeted you, gently.

"So you heard about White?" Shiro asked, not knowing how you felt about it.

"Yeah but, I understand," You looked toward the lions. "I think they have something they want to tell you guys too." They looked at you confused but the lions opened their mouth before they could ask, basically telling them to go inside.

You let everyone have their moment so you sat on the ground and waited patiently. After a few minutes one after the other they exited their lions, a small chip like the one you have in their hands.

You stood up once the last paladin got out. Keith rubbed his eyes with the sleeve of his jacket before he reached you. "So this is our final goodbye..." Said hunk sadly.

"Yeah..." Everyone got together and watched as the Lions came to life and the hatch in the roof opened up, letting them shoot out one right after the other.

"We'll never forget you." You whispered watching them disappear.

-

Time went on and everyone began finding their place in this new technologically advanced world. Hunk was a professional chef, Shiro was a teacher again, Lance was helping out in the community projects, and Pidge was working side by side with her father. Keith works in the military corp with you, teaching fighting techniques with you.

"So are you gonna keep using that 'She's my assistant' line with the students?" You asked nudging at his side with your elbow as you took a sip from your juice bottle.

"I don't know, it has a nice ring to it don't you think?" He smiled as he took a bite from his sandwich.

"Miss Y/n! Miss Y/n!" You heard one of your star students call out as he ran to you with a piece of paper in his chubby hands.

"Marcus! How are you doing?" You asked kindly and leaned down a bit to hear him better.

"I- I wanted to give you this!" He handed a folded-up paper to you and you put down your bottle to give him your full attention.

"Thank you Miss Y/n for teaching me and being my favorite teacher, would you like to marry me?" You read out loud. You looked up from the card and little Marcus was holding up a paper ring with a flushed face.

"Awww that's so sweet!" You cooned.

"Sorry bud but she's already taken," Keith spoke up and showed Marcus the ring he had on his finger. You could tell Marcus was about to cry.

"But I think his ring looks better." You joked taking the paper ring from him and placing it on your middle finger.

"Ha!" The child cheered. Keith looked at you with a frown. "I'm married to Miss Y/n!" He ran back to his friends and cheered all the way there.

"Hey I paid good money for that," Keith complained. 

"No, you didn't! Allura gave it to you!" You laughed. You lifted your hand to grab his face gently and made him turn to look at you. "But that doesn't take away from the fact that it's beautiful."

"Not as beautiful as you." His eyes bore into yours and flickered to your lips every once in a while.

"Since when did you become so cheezy?"

"Don't know." He shrugged and couldn't hold back anymore so he closed the gap between you both and kissed you lovingly. All too soon you pulled apart from him, making him pout.

"Come on now, you know we have to teach in a few minutes." You stood up and tossed your garbage in the trash. 

"Ah yes, come along assistant." He said as he stood up and tossed away his things as well.

"What did you call me??" You started to sprint towards him and he immediately began running. "Get back here!" You laughed as you let your legs carry you as fast as you could.

You were able to catch up to him and tried to catch him in a hug but you couldn't stop on time which led to you both falling forward into a nearby fountain.

You both sat up and spit out the extra water. "You see what you cause?" Keith joked as he splashed you with water.

"Me??" You splashed him harder with the fountain water and before you could both start an all-out war the main bell rang.

"We're late!" You both immediately got up and rushed to the classroom. As you both ran down the halls, monitors and other teachers shouted to stop running down the halls as you passed but you couldn't help but laugh along with Keith.

It was moments like that that made you really appreciate the new life you were given.

Here by his side.

~Celestial-Red~