Chapter 9: Preparations

You looked at Hunk who was sound asleep in his chair. You were getting bored so you lifted up your tiny fist and brought it down on his leg, hitting it as hard as you could.

"W-What who what? What's going on??" Hunk woke up abruptly. You giggled seeing him startled.

"Oh nothing, we just figured out how to defeat Zarkon." Lance said casually.

"Wow, really? I fall asleep for 5 minutes and you already figured out how to beat the forces of evil?"

"You were asleep for 3 hours!" Pidge exclaimed obviously annoyed.

You looked back to the group and watched how they coordinated to beat 'The mean people'.

"Seems simple enough. Let's get to it." Said Shiro. You watched as they split up into groups. You walked over to Allura, knowing well enough that they wouldn't let you tag along on their missions.

You waved goodbye to everyone and when you spotted Keith you ran over to him to give him a goodbye hug but right before you could make it, Allura picked you up from behind.

"Come along Y/n. I..." Allura looked over at Keith for a split second and then turned around. "I need to watch over you." She carried you and you looked over her shoulder to see Keith with his head hung low.

"Bye-bye." You said while waving. Keith looked up and gave you a sad smile with a wave.

After they left, you turned back to Allura. "Mommy?" You said, not really understanding what was going on.

"Why don't you play with the mice while I do some work with Coran?" She said sweetly but with a hint of sadness in her tone.

"Okay..." You said as she put you down to sit on the floor. The mice quickly appeared and started doing something like a circus act. You couldn't help but smile and clap at their amazing moves.

You were just a kid, after all, you really didn't have to worry about grown-up problems.

Right?

~

Finally, the time came when the Paladins got back.

"Keef!!!" You shouted seeing him coming in through the door. You jumped and Keith quickly caught you.

"Hey there kiddo." He chuckled seeing you so happy to see him.

"I played with the mice!" You said happily. "Oh! And I also drew this!!"

You squirmed out of Keith's grasp and rushed over to the little play area that you created which had crayons and color papers all over the place.

"Look look!" You showed him your drawing proudly. He took the picture from your hands and Lance couldn't help his curiosity and look over Keith's shoulder.

It was a crude drawing of everyone basically.

"Awwww! Guys! Come look a this!" Lance called out to the others. Shiro, Pidge, and Hunk walked over and inspected your work of art.

"This is very nice." Shiro complimented.

"This is going on the fridge!" Hunk declared as he took the picture from Keith's hands.

All to soon, everyone dispersed and you looked to Keith, waiting for him to say something.

"Good work kiddo." He said simply with a small smile and ruffled your head before leaving. You watched as he left and started feeling really lonely again.

The Paladins, Allura, Coran, and few more people that you didn't know--even a weird creature with a lot of arms--were working on something important apparently.