Chapter 8: The Blade

"We should be there in about 2 dobosh's." Coran indicated as he worked the holo-screen.

"Dobish?" You tried to pronounce the foreign word.

"It means minutes. Since Coran said 2 Dobosh's, it'll be 2 minutes until we get there." Pidge explained. You nodded your head in understanding and tried your best to remember.

Everyone started talking about what was going on but honestly, you got distracted and all you managed to hear was pidge talking about how excited she was about the newfound tech that they would learn and Hunk mentioned food, making you hungry again.

"Guys quiet! Coran, where's the base located?" Keith asked, seeming impatient.

"In between the 3 didly celestial objects." He showed the map on the big screen for everyone to see.

"The perfect defensive position." Pidge said analyzing the layout.

"Or the perfect trap." Allura added.

"Yeah, I'm with Allura maybe we shouldn't like go in that at all?" Hunk said feeling nervous about what was to come soon.

"What are you talking about?! We have to go in, this is the whole reason we came out here! There is no other option." Keith practically shouted at the others.

"Okay, geez, calm down." Lance said while moving his hand in a downward fashion.

"Identify yourself." Spoke what seemed like a woman through the big screen.

"Open a hailing frequency." Shiro told Coran. "We are the paladins of Voltron, sent here by Ulaz." There was a moment of silence before it spoke again.

"Two may enter, come unarmed." And then it disappeared.

"Why would they insist we come unarmed?" Allura said obviously suspicious of them. "Shiro this doesn't feel right."

"We've come too far to turn back now."

"They just sent us a route to the base, but we'll have to move quickly, those are the solar flare that will only be opened for another Varga. Then it will be closed for 2 quintant's." Explained Coran.

"They're gonna close it for 2 years?!" Hunk asked in disbelief.

"2 Days."

"Oh."

"So any thought's on who's gonna join you on this mission? I'm thinking things might get a little hot so you're gonna want someone who can stay cool." Lance said while inspecting his nails casually.

"You're right. Keith, you're coming with me."

"What?? Well, Keith's a hothead! He's probably gonna shoot first and ask questions later, and they're not gonna be able to answer his questions because they'll be dead!" Lance exclaimed while practically being one inch away from Shiro's face in annoyance.

"We haven't yet severed Zarkon's link with the Black lion completely so it has to stay here, and the Red lion can withstand the heat from that sun so yes, It'll be Keith." It was Shiro's final say in the discussion and he gently pushed Lance back.

Coran started saying something about being very careful about gravity and heat? You looked at the two with your head slightly tilted, not really getting what the heck was going on.

"We're just going to meet some friends. We'll be right back." Shiro said sweetly towards you.

"I wanna go!" You raised your hands in the air, wanting Shiro to pick you up.

"No can do kiddo." Keith said sternly. You pouted and glared at him although it looked cuter than you intended making Keith sigh and look away.

"Where we're going is not for little kids. Don't worry, we'll be back before you can say Voltron." Shiro then walked out of the room with Keith right behind him.