Chapter 29: Back in the Game

You slowly started to wake up, your head was pounding and you felt very disoriented. You looked around your room and Lance was sleeping on a nearby chair while Pidge was in a sleeping bag on the floor, Hunk was just snoozing away on the floor. You felt something heavy on your left, Keith had fallen asleep on the edge of your bed while sitting on a chair.

A smile pulled at your cheek towards him and the rest of your friends.

You ran your fingers through his hair and he slowly stirred awake.

"Morning sleeping beauty." You chuckled. It took him a minute to realize you were awake and when he did, he sat up straight, embarrassed about how you casually woke him up.

"Hey, how are you feeling?" He asked softly, making sure he didn't startle the others.

"I've been better." You shrugged. You lifted the covers off of you and you marveled at your new prosthetic leg. "Wow..." You breathed. Even though Pidge mentioned that she would make it as light as possible, the thing latched on to your stump still felt foreign and slightly heavy.

Keith helped you sit up and you moved your legs off the bed. You looked at it and tried to get used to the feeling and weight.

"Hey, you're up." Lance yawned as he stretched his sore muscles. Slowly the other paladins started to wake up and each one of them asked how you were feeling, to which you answered almost the same.

"You ready to get walking?" Shiro asked as he stood up.

"The quicker I learn the better." You smiled at him. Shiro walked over to your left while Keith was on your right. They helped you stand and you carefully put some of your weight on your right leg. You winced in pain at first and everyone seemed worried especially Pidge.

"It's fine, I just need to get used to it." You started taking a few steps and you were slowly getting used to the walking motion.

"So, how does it feel?" Hunk asked.

"It's difficult to describe - it's like trying to describe how it feels to taste ice cream to someone without a tongue." You chuckled as you took the last steps that would lead you out of your room. Everyone was careful and watching you attentively as parents would.

As your prosthetic foot hits the ground, you can't help but feel it but at higher impact, you can feel the impact ricochet through the rest of your body.

"You're awake!" Allura cheered seeing you and the others out of your room. She seemed glad that in the end, everything turned out well. During the next few days, you would have to train your leg, It felt a bit unstable at first but you eventually got the hang of it.

"Don't you think you should take a break?" Keith asked as you ran laps around the training ground.

"I need to be in top shape so I can go back on missions." You said as you ran on the opposite side. Keith let out a chuckle.

"Lunch is ready." He added. You just so happened to be passing by him when you heard him mention,

"Food!-Ah!" You tripped up and thankfully Keith caught you before you could fall face forward.

"See this is why you should take a break." You laughed as he helped you stand again.

"I'll take a break while eating." You flexed your ankle, the feeling still a bit weird. "So far so good. Let's go!" You grabbed onto his hand and you dragged him towards the Kitchen.

The days of your recovery passed by quicker than you thought and during that time Keith was right there beside you 24/7. It was nice, he would constantly keep you company and helped you recuperate as quickly as you did.