Chapter 31: The will to fight

"What do you mean they don't answer? Why the hell didn't you wake me up??" It was no surprise to see Keith getting mad at you for trying to help him for his own good.

"You're welcome." You said in a tired voice, not having enough energy to actually argue. You went to the back of the ship and leaned your back on it, hearing a faint thud from your paladin armor, only to slide to the floor and sit down.

Keiths' angry facial expression smoothed out seeing you so defeated. He let out a small sigh and went to sit next to you.

"So what's the plan now?" He asked softly.

"I don't know." You pulled up your knees to your chest feeling smaller by the minute. "Some leader I am." You mumbled.

"You're telling me. Guess we're on the same boat."

"Don't you mean ship?" You chuckled dryly, knowing that it was a horrible joke and that so far nothing was working to bring your spirits up.

"Why don't we head to the last coordinates the castle was at and search in neighboring planets for any sign of them." Keith suggested but you shook your head.

"They might be waiting for us there, and if we ask anyone else...who knows who else is on the Elox's side. We can't trust anyone." You stared at the cold floor, that sinking feeling in your stomach getting worse by the tick.

Keith didn't know what else to say or do at the moment, he was never good in these situations in the first place, but he knew he had to do something.

"Why don't we fight?" He thought out loud.

"Are you crazy? We only barely made it out with White and Red and we have no idea what the hell happened to our friends." You buried your face in your knees. "Or if they're even alive..." You shivered at the thought. "Keith, It's over." 

His hands balled up into fists, frustrated at the fact that you were right. "Then let's run away." Your eyes went wide hearing him honestly think of that as an option.

"Keith, we-"

"We've done all we can, Y/n. We tried." He turned to give you his full attention and looked at you in the eyes, serious as ever.

"What about Allura? Coran? Hunk? Pidge? Lance? Shiro?" You let go of your legs and let them stretch out. "You're just gonna leave them behind?"

"Didn't you just say that they might be dead." You flinched at his harsh but true words.

"Yeah but..."

"If you're hesitating then that means that there's still a part of you that wants to get them back." You could see a smile pulling on the corner of his mouth. "Let's give it all we've got, with or without them, we go out like heroes." You gave out a chuckle.

Since when has he been one to give motivation?

"Alright. Thanks, Keith." You reached out and pulled him into an embrace. You really needed a hug after everything that happened. "By the way." You added pulling him apart at arm's length.

"What?"

"I'm not so sure about you going out as a hero with those fighting skills." You finally let out a small laugh brightening up the ship and making Keith's ears perk up at the sound.

"I was distracted alright?" He looked away somewhat embarrassed.

"By what? Bellox's good looks?" You joked.

"I was worried about you." He said in all seriousness turning to look at you dead in the eyes. Your laughter was cut short at his bluntness making you gulp.

"We-Well that's your own fault. You know perfectly well that I can take care of myself." You looked away and removed your hands from his arms.

"Y/n." Keith spoke up again. "Please," He seemed to be struggling to get the words out but you were patient enough to wait.

"Yeah?"

"Can I kiss you?" You could feel your heart pounding in your chest and the blood rising to your cheeks. He waited just as patiently as you did until you gave him a small nod, making him pull you towards him somewhat roughly, desperate even, to smash his lips against yours.

It was different from the first time he kissed you, that's for sure. To think that at that moment you two were enjoying yourselves in the castle's pool, thinking about taking down the Galra and now you were giving your last fight against a new enemy.

Keith could feel all of his worries disappear for that one moment, just like before. You would pull away for air every once in a while but he would immediately pull you back in as if that would be the last time he would ever kiss you.

Well, it just might be.

You could tell that he was going a bit overboard as he pushed you to the ground and held your hips close to his. You were getting a bit nervous and didn't know how to respond. You could feel his hand going down your thigh getting a little too close for comfort until you roughly held his shoulders to push him away.

"Keith..." You panted, out of breath, and your hair a mess. "I'm not...I'm not ready." You looked away, embarrassed. Keith tried to steady his breathing and when you looked at him in the eyes you could see they had a hazy yellow to them and his pupils were smaller, and...are those fangs?

Keith blinked a few times making his eyes go back to normal as well as his teeth. It looked like he was in a daze or didn't even know what was going on. He slowly got off of you and sat on the floor.

"Y/n, I- I'm sorry, I don't know what came over me..." He looked down at the floor trying to decipher what the hell he was thinking.

"It's okay..." You sat up and carefully scooted over to him. "Are, you okay?" You asked, concern evident in your tone.

"You're comforting me? After all that?" He let out a sigh. "Yeah, I'm better now." He was calm now and he surprised you by hugging you. "Sorry." He mumbled in the crook of your neck.

"It's okay, why don't we start planning what we're gonna do next?" You said once you two parted.

"Yeah, I think that would be for the best." You smiled at him sweetly and fixed his messy hair along with yours.

"We'll get through this." You held his face in your hands and planted a soft kiss on his lips. "Together."

-

"Hows Red doing?" You asked through the communicator.

"Doesn't look like they did anything to her so that's a good sign." He answered.

"Great, I already contacted Kolivan, I'm sending the coordinates for the rendezvous now." You punched in the code and sent it to Red.

You and Keith started brainstorming about who you guys could actually trust or who could help you out and after considering all the pros and cons, it was best to go for Kolivan. 

Fingers crossed he won't betray you.

"I got them. Let's go." You readied your lion and shot the lever forward making you hyperjump along with Keith.

The ride there was pretty long but you two eventually made it. It was a base hidden between two planets that have a ring system. If both of you weren't careful going through the two rings, that would be it.

Thankfully you guys made it in one piece and landed on the large asteroid. You landed your lions and made your way towards the main station. There wasn't any gravity so you had to activate your jetpack to fly although from what White told you, you would be able to breathe there without any problems. As you got closer you noticed that there was more debris and rocks.

"Is this really the place?" Keith asked as he reached out to grab your hand.

"It should be..." You looked around seeing how there were what looked like to be small buildings in shambles.

"Y/n?"

"Oh no..."

Celestial-Red