First Child- Merry

-.-Edited-.-

The garden was in bloom around you. You sat and breathed in the fresh scent as you watched as Merry in front of you. He was harvesting assortments of vegetables and putting them in a woven basket you made. It felt so surreal-- having him back from his adventures.

You had started to lose hope in Merry coming back after he mysteriously disappeared. Yet years later he returned with a story about a ring and kingdoms beyond the Shire. At first, you didn't believe it, but he wore the garments of one in Rohan. You never did give up on him though. He was your husband.

Now that he was back, it felt like the right time to start a family.

You stroked your swollen stomach. Each little kick in your womb delighted you. You couldn't wait to be a parent with Merry!

The both of you were out until the sun had set. A breeze shifted through the meadows of the Shire and the plants swayed peacefully. The moon was just starting to rise went you felt a sharp pain in your stomach. You set down your book on the edge of the bench and held your breath. Not long after, you felt another. Your face closed in a grimace.

"Merry!" you shouted through grit teeth.

"What is it, Y/n?" Your husband came jogging over. He knelt in front of you, a hand on your thigh.

"I think the baby is coming!" This time you were sure the pain was a contraction. You gasped and grasped Merry's shoulder. Though there was a momentary flash of panic in his eye, your husband was quick in knowing what to do. He helped you stand and escorted you toward the door.

You walked briskly towards the medic, leaning heavily against your husband. You tried to distract yourself from the discomfort yet each step sent pain up your legs.

When you finally reached the medic, the midwives came over and helped you to a room with a soft bed. Merry came over and sat next to you and you gripped his hand.

"Okay, Y/n, time to push," a nurse told you after a couple hours had passed.

You gathered your strength and Merry gave you an encouraging smile. You sucked in a breath and pushed when the midwives told you to. The pain was intense, it was like you were being ripped instead of cut. You had to bite your lip to keep from crying out.

You only stopped to catch your breath. The nurses shouted encouragement. Merry leaned in and kissed your forehead; he whispered sweet-nothings in your ear. You were exhausted, but the medics were telling you that you only had one more to go.

A tiny cry pierced the air. You and Merry quieted and watched as the midwives wrapped your child in a blanket. They handed the bundle over to you and murmured, "It's a boy."

You looked down upon a small chubby face. You couldn't believe it. The hours of agony suddenly felt like minutes-- all worth it for this. He was so handsome! Beside you, Merry grinned and rubbed your shoulders.

"What shall we name him?" he asked. You thought for a moment.

You replied, "How about Meriarry?" Keeping in mind the tradition of keeping son's names similar to their fathers.

"I love it."

Okay, so I know not all sons have similar names  to their fathers (Ex: Denethor- Boromir and Faramir) but bear with me.