Remember When We First Met?- Haldir

Requested by: Laura5SOSxo

The battle of Helm's Deep raged on, sounds of battle echoed around you. Men, orcs, and elves fell all around you.

"Nan barad! Nan barad!" You heard Aragorn's voice ring out. "To the Keep!" 

You turned to run for the keep when you looked back to see Haldir still fighting. It was clear that he didn't hear the orders for withdrawal. If he were to stay in combat, he could possibly be slain without the reinforcements. 

You pushed past the fleeing men and elves, trying to get to Haldir.

"Haldir!" you shouted urgently. His eyes flickered over to you. "To the Keep!"

You stopped running once Haldir nodded and began fighting his way out. He was almost to you when an orc stabbed him from behind. You let out out a blood curling scream of rage and jumped onto the orc, stabbing him multiple times... knowing that you didn't look graceful and mature doing that but nobody was allowed to touch your husband. 

You fought and gave Haldir sometime to recover, Aragorn was soon at your side and help your fight them off.

"Hannon le," Haldir thanked and continued fighting. You slowly retreated backwards toward the Keep. Your hair whipped in the wind, flinging wet rain droplets into your eyes. More and more orcs advanced on you, it was almost as if Isengard was emptied out. Saruman must have been truly desperate to destroy the kingdom of men.

A flash of silver caught your eye as it hurled itself at you. There was a sharp pain in your gut as the silver turned out to be a knife- a knife that had just been thrown at you. You gasped sharply as you feel a fiery substance spread through your veins.

The blade was poisoned.

"Y/n, are you okay?" Haldir was at your side in an instant. With shaking hands you pulled out the knife and let it clatter to the ground.

"Yes," you lied. You didn't want to worry him. His focus needed to stay on the battle. Haldir wouldn't be able to defend himself if he were distracted with your injuries as well as his own.

The battle had been won as Gandalf had shown up with reinforcements- the expelled riders of Rohan. As the survivors mingled and returned to their families, you excused yourself to a quiet hallway.

It felt like you drank fire. The poison was boiling through your blood causing you to break out into a sweat. You removed your armor and rolled up your chemise; your wound was festering and past the point of being treatable.

With numb legs, you attempted to stumble to the medics. However, the feat proved to be too much at this point. You started to fall backwards. Instead of hitting the floor, someone caught you.

Haldir.

"Y/n! You told me you were okay!" he yelled. His eyes were worried and his voice was pained.

You shook your head. "You needed to focus on the battle," you whispered, gasping as your muscles tightened painfully.

"Please, I can treat you. I will go get the herbs- And if I can't heal you, someone can. Aragorn or a healer..."

"No, it's too late," you sighed, a tear streaming down your cheek. Haldir seemed to understand, he pulled you closer in his arms and sat down on the floor. Your legs stretched out past him and your damp clothes still stubbornly stuck to your skin.

"Renich i lu i erui govannem?" he asked.

FLASHBACK

You were walking through Mirkwood during the night. The stars glittered above you and the moon seemed to illuminate the scenery into a silver glow. Your bow hung casually over your shoulder along with your quiver. You weren't supposed to out of the Realm, being Thranduil's daughter and all... But neither you nor your brother Legolas listened. 

You were up for a reason. You were sick of being stuck in the castle, you didn't want to be a Princess. You wanted to be free. So, one day you found yourself walking through the dark forest until you were out of its suffocating reach. Then you saw Lorien. You had been there a few times before. Galadriel would accept you here. If not, you would go to Rivendell or perhaps to Halindon. You had journeyed far, you were not going to turn back.

"What is a beautiful lady like you walking around for this late at night?" A voice called out, startling you. A handsome blonde elf ran out from the shadows.

"I'm sorry," you dipped your head. "I was distracted and did not hear you come."

"I am Haldir, of Lorien, serving under our Lady Galadriel. May I ask who you are?"

"I am Y/n, of the Woodland Realm," you answered, blushing a little bit.

"Mirkwood," he said, almost astonished, for the Woodland Realm was a rogue nation and the people did not travel much other than for their own business. Then realization flickered across his face. "My lady!" he bowed.

"Please don't." You forced a laugh. "I don't want to have any association with my father's Realm."

"May I inquire as to why?" 

You studied Haldir; he was curious, handsome, stocky for an elf, and he intrigued you.

"I don't like being stuck in the kingdom, I would rather be free in the woods. Yet, Mirkwood feels as if my doom were to fall on me any instant. There is too much evil there and it casts a shadow over my mind."

"Have you tried explaining your feelings to King Thranduil? He is your father..."

You sighed, "Unfortunately."

"I just don't think why a pretty creature like you should be stuck in a castle," Haldir teased.

"What?"

"Forgive me, but I seem to take a liking towards you." Your cheeks darkened, and you stifled a giggle. "I don't want to see you lost in this forest, anything could happen." He leaned forward and gave you a kiss on the cheek that left a tingling sensation through your body. "You should tell your father how you feel... As much I would appreciate your company with me, I think it is best for you."

"Okay," you finally said.

"I hope to see you again, y/n," he said. Then he was gone. Leaving you feeling like you imagined him. Nevertheless, you headed back to the Realm.

FLASHBACK OVER

"Long years have passed," you rasped. Haldir had tears in his eyes.

"You sure I can't help you?" The tears fell. You shakily raised your hand and brushed them away.

"I'm sure." You coughed, hot liquid trickled from your lips. "Take my place. Be there for Legolas and tell my father, okay?"

"Please, y/n, I love you," Haldir sobbed, wiping away the blood from your mouth. The poison had almost finished its job, it felt like it was squeezing all the air from your lungs and causing your heart to beat irregularly... or was that Haldir?

"I love you, Haldir," you sighed, knowing that those were the last words you would ever say.

For awhile, Haldir just held you. Aragorn eventually came over, looking for you two and nearly fell backwards at what he saw. You passed into darkness. The last thing you heard was Haldir screaming as Aragorn pulled him away.