Objections- Fili

-.-Edited-.-

Requested by: twinlife123

FLASHBACK

His hands were around your waist. You felt the tickle of his beard as he leaned close and gave you a kiss. "I'll be back in a month."

"Be careful, Fili. I know it will be dangerous," you whispered. Your partner was going on a 'business trip' with Thorin. The mission was a secret: to recapture Erebor from the wretched dragon Smaug.

Fili gave you a haughty smile. "I laugh in the face of danger."

"I know but-" you let out a huff. "Just-- come back to me."

"Yes, My Lady." He chuckled and gave you one last kiss. His brother Kili gagged. The both of you hesitated, letting your foreheads rest against each others'. "One month, I promise."

All too soon he left to join Thorin with Kili.

FLASHBACK OVER

A year had passed with no letter, no sign... nothing. All you knew was that Smaug had been defeated and there was no word about who was involved. You did not know if Fili were still alive. You had hope, despite the crushing grief. A month had passed, yes, but he promised. You had his word.

"Y/n, we need to talk to you," your father said. You tore yourself from your watch position by the window. He was standing at the door, expressionless. Your mother soon joined him.

"Yes?"

"Years ago," your mother started, "we had some friends of mankind. They had a son shortly before you were born. His name is Sillyn, and you are to court."

Her words dawned on you with a strident awareness of the damned. "We are to be... married?"

"Yes, you are engaged," your father grunted as if it were the most obvious thing. "Your wedding will take place this month."

"No!" you wailed. "My heart belongs to Fili!"

"Fili is dead! The sooner you accept that the better off you will be."

"Mom-" you whimpered.

"Your time with him was only but a dream. You best wake up now." Your mother smoothed her skirts. You watched as she avoided eye contact. The sudden surge of anger rose through your body.

"Sillyn is a good man," your father spoke up again. He walked before you and stood tall. "He is skilled in battle and he is an honored lord. You will see that for yourself."

"My heart will love no more! Fili is my One!"

But all efforts were futile. No matter which way you ran, your parents would be there to stop you.

You had considered leaving, to Erebor. To find out for yourself who remained. Alas, you had been caught.

-.- Time Skip brought to you by Captain Picard's Ears: He has his left ear, right ear, and the final frontier. -.-

The dreaded day had arrived. Most brides would be called "blushing;" they would be pacing and awaiting the moment they got to see their groom; love would be swelling in their hearts; their smiles would be fresh and pretty.

But you didn't smile; you weren't excited; hate was building in your heart; you were constantly withholding the urge to punch the guards your parents stationed in your room and try to make a run for it.

If only you had joined the Company. You would have been loyal with Fili to the end. You would have courted, had children, grown old together... You could see the courtship braid in his hair and the wonderful smile of his so clearly it was as if he were standing right in front of you. You could be living in Erebor, your proper home.

"It was only but a dream." Your mother's words echoed in your head. A tear streamed down your cheek.

You were to be "married" under vows set by men in an engagement you had no control over. That was the reality.

"Fili, I'm so sorry," you wept. "If you're alive... just know that you are my One, and I will always remember you."

You stared with a forlorn expression out the window, only breaking your gaze as the door opened. Your father stood behind you; you could see his reflection in the glass. You pleaded, "Please, don't make me do this!"

"Loyalty isn't dwelling on the past. Embrace the future. Don't make a fool out of yourself-- or dishonor our family." He grabbed your hand and pulled you forwards. The guards followed you until you were walking down the aisle.

Your father gave you away to Sillyn-- he was handsome, but not your type-- and you two walked onto the altar.

The feeling of your hands joined together made your insides lurch. The thought of what you were doing made you sick from your toes to the top of your head. You glared at him with the most disgust you concoct. Arrogantly, he winked at you.

"Don't worry, you'll grow to love me." His words drifted to you with the stench of ale. You tried to pull your hands from his but he tightened his grip.

You took a breath, trying to calm your frantic heart. Luckily, you had done some reading: in marriage, under the laws of men, there were the "I do's." If you said no, the ceremony wouldn't be complete. You waited patiently for the moment to come.

However, your hope was short-lived. "Since this is an arranged marriage, I am required to skip the 'I do's.'" The words rang across the room. Your heart fell.

Another tear dripped down and plopped silently at your feet.

"I now ask for any objections from the audience instead. Speak up or forever hold your peace."

You begged inside your mind, unable you bring your voice to speak. There was only silence and your parents sent you a triumphant look. Your body shook with the sobs you had to silence.

"Objection!" A loud, clear voice yelled as the doors burst open. "I object this marriage."

There, in the flesh, was Fili. You ripped your hands out of Sillyn's grasp and ran down the aisle, throwing yourself into Fili's arms. You embraced passionately, murmuring how much you missed each other.

"Why didn't you wait?" Fili met your gaze, there was a fleeting moment of sadness in his eyes. "I sent you letters-- I tried to find you after you didn't answer! Your parents said that you were not here! Then I found out you were going to court this man-- I couldn't let you do that!"

"I didn't have a choice." You turned and glared at your parents. "They must have kept the letters from me and must have intercepted with ones I sent to you. They forced me into this marriage!"

The crowd was on their feet, frozen and gaping, unsure what to do. Sillyn was purple in the face.

"Somebody, get my daughter!" you mother screeched. The guards finally moved.

The King of Erebor entered the room. "No one will touch Y/n," he commanded. The guard froze, their eyes wide.

Thorin turned toward your parents. "Have you no honor? There are laws of our people that prohibit arranged marriages that force anyone to marry someone who is not their One-- or anyone who does not consent. It is clear to me that Y/n does not want to marry this man." Thorin glanced at you and smiled. He was always more of a father-figure to you than your own ever was. "Furthermore, I believe there has been an objection. As King, I hereby accept such objection and dismiss this arranged marriage."

You smiled and clasped hands with Fili. "You kept your promise," you cried. This time, the tears were of happiness.