Secret- Nori

Requested by: ThoraOakensheild

FLASHBACK

"I'm not letting you go on the quest, Y/n. It's too dangerous."

"Well, I'm not letting you leave without me," you said crossly to Nori, your love.

"Other than it being dangerous, Thorin would have had to select you. I'm sorry, but it's just me and my brothers as well as a couple others. As far as I know, no females," Nori responded. "I doubt they are allowed."

"Fine, then I will follow you in secret. Nobody will know except for you and me. I'm good at being sneaky." A sly grin slid up your face, only to be followed by your best puppy-dog eyes. Nori groaned. You knew he couldn't resist.

"I can't believe I'm doing this... Y/n, would you like to tag along?"

FLASHBACK OVER

You had remained hidden very well. Each night Nori dropped some food off to you. You slept uphill from the Company. By day, while they were on their ponies, you jogged to keep up. Thank Durin you were in shape!

When the trolls took the ponies, it was hard to stand by and watch as the Company was held over fire and the others were tied in bags.

Your heart beat anxiously for Nori. You had made him a promise not to interfere but you couldn't just stand by and watch. However, luck proved to be on your side when the hobbit stood in his bag and began to think of a plan. Whatever he did would have to last until sunrise...

You leaned forward and whispered, "They have parasites," towards the direction of Bilbo. Then quietly returned back to the shadows and waited to see how this would unfold.

Then you were running, trying to stay away from the Company and out of sight while running from a Warg that somehow sniffed you out. You managed to kill the rider but the wolf made no intention of letting you run free afterwards, as you had hoped. You were cornered by it against a boulder dangerously close to the Company.

You plugged your sword into the Warg's neck and it let out a loud yip before dying.

Luckily, nobody except Nori noticed the noise. You two made eye contact as you were in the middle of a large plain... He made a quick motion for you to move while he distracted the Company. You darted over the dry grass and scaled a large rock, downwind from the Wargs. You sighed in exasperation as the Company disappeared behind a boulder and did not resurface even after a patrol of elves came and slaughtered the scouts and left.

You knew Thorin hated elves, but he didn't need to wait this long!

So you waited for them to come back from their hiding spot.

And waited.

And waited...

It was nightfall and you let out a groan. The coast was clear for Durin's sake! You slid from your hiding spot and walked over to the boulder only to discover a narrow pathway.

Sneaky, very sneaky.

But how were you supposed to catch up to them now? You grumbled a few insults to yourself and took off at a run.

It seemed like the Company did not like to rest for long. By the first light they were out of Rivendell, you were very lucky Nori found where you were sleeping and was able to wake you up, unnoticed.

"You can't sleep in this late," he warned.

"But, its not late! And it better than being caught, which I haven't been."

"Yet." A twinge of annoyance hinting at his voice.

"Love you too," you responded. "If you want me to go, just say it. Although, I have been of use to you... Helping the Company from the shadows. I killed a warg and helped Bilbo stall the trolls."

"I have to go, Y/n. But you are free to stay as long as you want. Just- stay safe, okay?" He gave you a kiss on the cheek and raced off.

It was raining. Hard. Thunder crackled all around you and lighting struck lit the sky. Of course it had to be the night where the stone giants decided to have a game of l'ets chuck boulders at each other's head and see who dies first.' And while the Company got past the first round and found a nice cozy cave to sleep in, you were stuck outside, hoping not to get hit by the broken bits of rock that the giants used as snowballs.

Then all hell broke loose as The Company woke up and the floor fell out from under them.

Like any rational dwarf would, you jumped down the large black hole that swallowed up your boyfriend and his quest-mates. You slid down and dirt slide and ended up in some sort of cage just in time to see the Company being dragged off by goblins... Great.

Doing more sneaking, you followed them. Apparently, that was what you were good at doing these days. You found them at the feet of the hideous goblin king. Your dwarven kin were not being tortured yet, however, your sword was at the ready.

It was when Gandalf arrived that you figured would be the best time to move. Keeping to the side you slayed the surprised goblins that saw you. The Company was running, again, And you struggled to keep up... again.

You climbed down a steep cliff after the bridge gave out and ran closely behind the Company out of the Mountain and into daylight.

That's when you heard the howling...

You climbed up into a tree, seeing that's what the Company did. Through some branches you could see Nori looking for you with a panicked expression. You wanted to call out to him but that would attract too much attention to yourself, it was best that you stay hidden.

The dwarves started lobbing flaming pinecones at the Wargs and you figured you should help in some way. Drawing some arrows you fired at the unsuspecting riders. No one noticed you, by now the Wargs were working on knocking down the trees, except one caught scent of you. You watched as the oversized wolf sniffed your trail to your tree, then it looked up and barked at you. Rearing its oversized paws and throwing its whole weight against the trunk. After a loud wood snap and a groan, you felt yourself tipping and grabbed a branch for support. The tree lunched and thudded against the edge of the cliff. If you let go of the branch you were holding, you were a goner. You couldn't look and see if Nori was alright, which you hoped he was.

But one by one your fingers lost their grip... You whispered a goodbye to Nori.

You braced yourself for a hard impact but it never came. Instead, long talons wrapped around your waist and the ground was a blur beneath you.

Durin's beard! It was a Great Eagle. You surveyed the air, each of the massive birds carried at least one dwarf. You continued looking until you saw Thorin, who was gravely injured... You breath caught in your throat. If he died, what would happen to the mission? You wanted to reclaim your home just as much as the others. Also, Nori could be injured too!

The eagles finally set you down on a large rock with the Company and you were filled with relief when you saw Nori was okay... But you were with the Company! You edged back while the dwarves rushed to Thorin.

"Nori!" you whispered as loud as you dared. He looked back at you with a shocked expression.

"You're not supposed to be this close," he hissed urgently while he tried to cover you up.

"Tell the Eagles that," you said in exasperation. Nori edged you closer to the stairs that led away from the rock.

Thorin was not a blind dwarf.

"Who are you?" His voice rang out, you couldn't see behind Nori but you knew he was looking at you.

"Um-" You stepped out and the others gasped. "Y/n, at yer service?"

Not my best, it didn't turn out the way I wanted. Sorry... But its better to write one than to not write one, am I right? I'm sorry if this didn't meet your expectations, but still feel free to request and read on!