Awkwardness- Bard

Requested by: justafallacy

Sorry for not updating, I was on an overnight field trip with the Band. We went to Idaho for a competition and then went to a theme park afterwards... This story is going to be fluffy awkwardness!

You were walking along the edge of the lake, too deep in thought to hear anyone else on the docks. You always seemed to be busy with your work, helping the town deal with the trade with the elves as winter approached. In fact, you were so busy worrying that you didn't hear the footsteps of a man as he walked home from his work until you bumped into you.

You yelped in surprise and started falling backwards, the man's momentum overpowering yours. You were about to crash into the icy waters when a hand caught you. You looked up in relief as the man pulled you up, it was now that you got a proper look at him.

He had dark brown hair, matching eyes, and a small beard. He was so handsome!

He hoisted you upwards and you were soon back on your feet.

"I am terribly sorry, my lady. My name is Bard."

"And I am Y/n, and the fault is mine. I wasn't looking where I was going and- Thank you for catching me."

"It was the least I could do," he answered, rather modestly. At that moment two girls came running down the harbor.

"Da!" The older one shouted. "We made dinner, but it's getting cold. We just came out to look for you."

"Very good, Sigrid, I'll be there in a moment," Bard replied, not breaking eye contact with you.

"Da, who is this?" The younger pointed to you, then shared a look with Sigrid.

"This is y/n, Tilda." 

Then the two girls giggled as they looked up at you. You shifted your weight awkwardly and saw that Bard seemed uncomfortable too. There was a silence between you two before Bard spoke again. "I guess it's proper to introduce you to my daughters, y/n. This is Sigrid and Tilda," He pointed to each of his daughters. "And I have a son, Bain, back at home."

You weren't disappointed or upset, but you were drawn to this man, he was quite handsome with a great personality... It wasn't a shock that he had a wife and children.

"Nice to meet you, girls," you responded, keeping your voice steady. "But I best be off to my home." You curtsied, muttered another apology to Bard and left for your house, glad that this awkward encounter ended.

Time skip brought to you by the Mirkwood Barrel Checkers- keeping dwarves out of your barrels since the time of Smaug.

You were strolling through the market, looking for something to make dinner for tonight.

"Y/n!" You heard a call then looked up. There was Sigrid and Tilda.

"Hello, ladies," you greeted.

"Why aren't you with Da?" Tilda piped up. You stepped back, surprised at the question.

"I- I haven't arranged any plans with your father."

"Tilda!" Sigrid snapped. "You know Da doesn't meet with any women anymore, he still grieves."

Grieves? Why would he grieve?

Perhaps his wife had died, maybe that was why Sigrid said that Bard didn't meet with any women. You remembered talk of a woman who had died years back, that must have been Bard's wife.

"But I like y/n!" Tilda argued, probably forgetting that you were still here.

"I do too, but-" Sigrid stopped short and looked at you and blushed. They both forgot you were here. "I'm sorry y/n. Our mother died a while ago and when we saw you and Da together, I guessed we hoped."

"Terribly sorry," Tilda sniffled, tearing up. Your heart yearned to comfort these girls.

"It's okay," You knelt down beside them and wrapped them into a hug. You too, knew what it was like to lose a parent. Both of yours died in a fire when you were little, you had to care for your brother by yourself until he was old enough to move out.

The girls left you after a while, but little did they know they were plotting something...

Time skip brought to you by Bofur's hat.

"Where are we going?" you asked as Tilda dragged you across Laketown. You arrived at a fancy diner to see Sigrid and Bard waiting at the door.

"Y/n?" Bard came up to you. "I see Tilda brought you here."

"She did-" you started but was cut off when Sigrid butted in.

"Okay, we're leaving! Have fun." She shooed you and Bard towards the door and ran off with her sister. You rubbed your arm and Bard hung to the side. You heard him sigh heavily.

"Well, we are here. Might as well go in and have dinner together," he spoke. You nodded.

Bard opened the door and ushered you inside.

"Ah, Bard! Your table is ready." A perky waitress walked up to you two.

"Our table?"

"Your daughters came in earlier, they said you would be in here with a maiden named y/n." She turned to you. "I assume this is you?"

"Yes, that's me."

The waitress pointed to a table. "Have a seat there until you are ready to order," she smiled, then walked off to deliver some ales to drunken men. You and Bard crossed the room and sat facing each other. It was rather awkward, like all of your other encounters.

"While we are here, we might as well talk," you started. "What do you do for a living?"

"I'm a bowman."

"Trade manager."

"Respectable."

"Well, it helps me through the winters."

So you two talked, slowly warming up to each other. You kept talking even when your food came.

Subconsciously, you set your hand on top of the table. Bard mimicked your action but only rested his on top of yours.

Your heart soared and you shifted so you two were holding hands. His gaze met yours... There was such sorrow and grief, but the emotions faded when he looked at you. You watched as light and love brightened his expression.

"I guess my daughters are good match makers," he chuckled and you joined in.

You exited the restaurant and walked through Laketown, talking about your memories and experiences you have in different spots.

Soon, your cheeks were pink from the cold and you shivered.

"We should head back," Bard sighed, his breath billowing out in a white cloud.

"Agreed," you sniffed. So, like a gentleman, Bard escorted you home and stopped you outside the door.

"I had a nice time tonight, Bard, make sure you thank your daughters."

"I will," he laughed, then leaned in closer to you until your foreheads touched. "Thank you, y/n."

"For what?" you whispered.

"For helping me move on and see light in the world again." He softly touched his lips to yours and you kissed back. It was passionate, but gentle, and ended too soon.

"I will see you tomorrow." Bard kissed your cheek then turned away to head home.

Writer's block SUCKS! I have 12 school days left and I'm so jealous of the people who get out this week or next week...