Hugs- Merry

Requested by: LionessSister

Merry's POV:

I watched in silent fury as some hobbit approached Y/n. Just by looking at his body language I could tell that he was flirting.

Pippin and I were sitting towards the edge of the groups of hobbits at Bilbo and Frodo's birthday party.

I wished I had that courage.

I had fallen for Y/n practically since the first time I met her. I had become good friends with her, close, but I wanted to be closer. I wanted to mean something to her! Not just some hobbit who she can hug like all her other friends.

That's the thing about Y/n. She is, in fact, a hugger. She says her hellos, goodbyes, and excitement in hugs. Every touch from her drives me insane!

She is just so perfect. Everything! Her looks, her smile, her personality... and definitely her hugs.

I just want to tell her that.

And I've tried, Pippin has been encouraging me to, but I don't have the courage.

But now, the anger gave me determination. If I didn't act now, she could be lost from me.

I stood up and straightened my clothing and marched over to Y/n, trying to look brave and handsome.

"-and with one last pull, I managed to pull out the biggest potato the Shire has ever seen! It would have given that Samwise Gamgee a run for his money."

Y/n looked over and saw me, her eyes giving out a silent plea for help.

I felt a happiness surge within me, it was great that she didn't like him! It gave me more of a chance...

I came to the side of Y/n and put my arm around her shoulders.

"Whose this?" I asked, trying to sound casual.

"Just somebody." She rolled her eyes and forced a giggle.

"I see." I forced some matureness into it. Then I took a breath, if I kissed her, the creep would go away and may take the hint that I love her. Gently, I pulled her chin towards me and touched my lips to hers. I felt Y/n tense, then relax, returning the kiss.

Our lips moved together with a soft passion. My heart felt like it was soaring above the clouds. I could almost feel the shock roll of the hobbit who attempted to flirt with Y/n. I heard him walk away and I knew Y/n must've, but she didn't pull away.

When she did, it was all too soon. I couldn't read any expression on her face.

"Y/n-" I started, feeling my insides twist with more nerves. "I just wanted to say that I have feelings for you. I came over here to tell you that. That kiss, that kiss wasn't part of the act to get that hobbit to go away. I understand if you don't feel the same way-"

"Stop." She met my eyes. "I feel the same way. In fact, I kind of hoping it was you who would come over and 'save me.'"

Did she just say what I think she said? But then she leaned upwards and kissed me again and I knew it was real.

I put my hands on her waist and she put hers on my shoulder. We broke the kiss as a slow song came on but didn't leave each other's embrace.

One thing that gets me is that Frodo and Bilbo have the same birthday, and in the books it says the party was for both of them and in the movie it doesn't show any hints that it is also Frodo's birthday. And it's an important birthday too, his coming of age at 33 years old! The movie also doesn't show the gap between the birthday and Frodo's 55th birthday when he left for Rivendell.

Most of you, I assume, have read the books so you'll know about this. But I just wanted to mention that since I said "Bilbo and Frodo's birthday party."

LOTR has a lot to do with birthdays...

Gollum's birthday "present."

Bilbo leaving on his 111th birthday/ Frodo's 33rd.

Bilbo's adventure when he was 55, and Frodo's adventure when he was 55.

Its just... stuff.