Ch 4: Friends and First Phase

My 21st birthday had happened a month ago, I was going to make this the most exciting period of my life, in my twenties. During the time between this and the time I figured out my abilities, I had been mastering nen, ren, ten, zetsu, gyo, kyo, and my abilities. I also trained by working up my pain tolerance, endurance, speed, strength without nen, and another ability that I made when I turned 19, called the third eye. It's not an actual third eye or the spiritual one either, it just mimics it. I'm able to see things in all different spectrums of light.

        Today, it was January 2nd, five days before the Hunters Exam. My family lived on a small island, along with a lot of other powerful families, more or less powerful than we were. I started to pack my bag, along with a sample of the material I use for my tentacles. Sometimes I forget the formula for creating my tentacles and make something I can't work with instead, but every time I get my formula right, I always win.

        "Are you ready?" Cassandra asks.

       "I am, sensei," I responded.

       "You're much more powerful than I was when I took the Hunters Exam, I'm sure that you'll win," Cassandra soothes.

        "Thank you sensei," I say.

        "When you pass the Hunters Exam, you won't have to call me Sensei anymore, you will have become my equal at that point." She starts," Only when you become a ranking higher than myself, will you surpass me." She says.

        I start going out the door. My sister stops at the end of the stairwell.

        "Good luck, sis!" She shouts.

        "Thanks!" I respond, smiling.

        If I pass the Hunters Exam on the first try I'll have surpassed much more people who master nen and who are Hunters already. Cassandra told me that I shouldn't need to use nen, but if it comes to it I might. She says there might be one or two nen users there, but the majority of people have never even heard of nen in the first place.

        The Hunters Exam usually lasts from one week to one month, I'll hopefully be able to keep up with everyone else.

        There will be people there who are stronger, faster, and more powerful than me, but I will always beat them with my ultimate ability.

        The Exam will be taking place in the Visca Forest Preserve this year, for the 287th Hunters Exam. A rookie only passed the Hunters Exam once for every three years. Which means, people with more experience with the Exam are more likely to pass. Every year, there's different phases. Out of hundreds of people only a handful pass. I want to be in that handful more than anything.

        Then, once I pass the exam, I'll find a way to make a lot of cash and move out into my own house, maybe even get a pet to accompany me.

        I walk faster and faster before I start running to the site of the exam. I take a boat to the area of the exam. Cassandra said that there's a test to see if you even have the potential to find where the Hunters Exam is sometimes. A few hundred people were taking buses in order to get to the exam. If I did that, even if the bus did go to the exam, I wouldn't take it because then I wouldn't truly be trying my best.

        I saw a group of three walking around. The youngest had long spiky black hair sticking straight up and a green outfit, the oldest wore a suit and tie, the last one had long blonde hair and a colorful outfit on. I approached the three and decided to follow them. The blonde looked like he was smart, the old one looked cocky and the youngest one looked like he was very fun like a kid, which he was.