Last Words- Frodo

-.-This chapter has been edited-.-

There were no stars above, but ash. You could feel the toxins as you breathed-- in, out, and in again. Each breath was a struggle as you scrambled up the slope of Mount Doom. Sam struggled with his footing as a loose rock fell out from underneath him. Frodo weakly lagged farther below.

The ring bearer was gaunt, thin, and his lips were cracked. The chain holding the ring was cutting deep into his neck and blood was dripping down his back. He was wheezing each breath, an awful, pitiful sound. Frodo didn't ask for the ring; he didn't ask to be stabbed by a Black Rider; he didn't ask to be poisoned by Shelob; he didn't ask to be taken to a tower of Mordor; he did this out of the goodness of his heart. And what a toll it was taking on him.

You let Sam take the lead as you went to help Frodo.

Something felt wrong, however. It wasn't the thought of wandering through Mordor without food. You had a feeling you were being watched.

You glanced back to the Great Eye, only to see it was still fixed on the gates. The answer to your wonders came quickly. You heard a familiar rasp coming from a boulder to your right.

"Gollum!" you shouted to warn the other two hobbits. It was too late. The vile creature jumped through the air and landed on Frodo. You rushed to the ring bearer's side, grunting "Sam, help me!"

Sam charged at Gollum just as he leaped off of Frodo. His gnarled hands located a rock. You saw Gollum looking at you, his eyes glinting with something dangerous. He bounded over to you, his arm raised high. He swung at you and the rock collided with your head.

You faltered for a moment. The dazed world was shaking and spinning. Your feet slipped over the dust, ash, and dirt. You looked up to see Frodo race to the inside of the mountain, leaving you and Sam to deal with Gollum. You couldn't quite comprehend what was happening-- or what happened to you. White dots danced around you. In a moment of recollection, you shook off the pain and raced to catch up with the ring bearer.

You entered the Mount Doom to see Frodo standing at the edge of a narrow walkway that towered over a liquid fire you had never seen before.

"Frodo! Destroy it!" you shouted, knowing that dropping the ring into the substance would destroy it. He was standing far in front of you, you could only see his back, but you knew that he was holding the ring.

"What are you waiting for?" Sam came to your side. He too stared up at the end of the ledge.

"The ring is mine." Frodo turned around with a ghastly look on his face. Your heart jumped into your throat as he slipped the ring onto his finger.

Frodo vanished yet you could hear his footsteps. You felt yourself being pushed aside, but not by the ring bearer. Gollum jumped at an invisible shape. The two of them grappled for a moment that stretched into an eternity.

You heard a cry of pain that made your heart shatter. Frodo reappeared, cradling his hand. Gollum danced triumphantly. You and Sam shuffled down the walkway, knowing that the quest couldn't be completed if the ring were captured.

An event that you could never have predicted unfolded in front of your eyes. Frodo lunged at Gollum. He overpowered him with a few steps to the edge. Using his weight, he pulled himself and Gollum off the ledge.

"Frodo!" you screamed, racing over to where you saw him last. You weren't sure if you wanted to see, but you looked down.

There he was, hanging from a small handhold. You and Sam reached down and hauled Frodo up, holding onto him for reassurance. The ring was gone, and Middle Earth would be safe. But then again, Mount Doom rumbled and the pathway in front of you started to collapse.

You didn't have to scream at them to run. Sam grabbed Frodo and followed you out the door. You exited the mountain and the fires poured behind you. You jumped onto a rock for shelter.

Frodo collapsed beside you. His breaths were rapid and harsh. The ring-bearer coughed, you saw a bit of blood trickle down his cheek as he fell unconscious.

"No!" you yelled, cupping Frodo's face. "Sam, help me!" You looked over to see that your other companion had blacked out.

You turned back to Frodo, he had too many wounds and you had no medical equipment. The poor hobbit had traveled too far with the ring and gone too long without food.

"Frodo, wake up!" you cried, tears streaming openly down your face. You choked back a heavy sob.

"Y/n," he whispered, "I'm so sorry, but-" he gasped, "there would never have been a- return journey for me."

"What about Sam?" you sniffled.

"I could never bear to tell him." Frodo coughed again, more harshly this time. "He will be fine, he has Rosie Cotton."

"What about me?" You didn't want to seem petty, but what you had to say next needed to be said. "You're my best friend and so much more, Frodo. I love you!" He smiled, then reached up and cupped your face, his thumb gently wiping away your tears.

"Y/n," he wheezed, "I love you too." At that point, you saw birds flying towards you. Sam stirred, he looked up as the birds' shapes grew larger. You recognized them to be the great Eagles.

"Mr. Frodo, look!" Sam pointed and glanced back. You couldn't see his face, but you were sure that the other hobbit would have the look of despair and diminishing hope.

Frodo still had his hand on your cheek, though a tear formed in his eye. He rarely cried, but the tear fell, clearing away some dirt from his cheek.

"Samwise the Brave, and Y/n the Good," he sighed.

As his hand drifted from your cheek, fresh tears streamed down your face. The giant eagles swooped and picked up a wailing Sam. They grabbed you, then carefully picked up Frodo-- his head and arms fell limp and his eyes gazed sightlessly into the sky with no stars.