Chapter 3

Pic of Hannah on the side >>

Chapter 3

            Nicole

            I had no clue what to say. He’d baffled me. I wanted to slap him. But I also wanted to smile. I didn’t do either.

            “Isn’t your first name Paige?” he asked.

            I blinked. “Yeah,” I said. “Why?”

            “It’s nice. Why do you go by your middle name?” he asked leaning against a locker.

            “I just do,” I shrugged.

            “I like your name,” he said. “Do you want to go out sometime?” 

            I was prepared for some stupid question…not that. “I—what?”

            “Do you want to go out on a date with me?” he asked.

            “Um…sure,” I said with a small nod.

            “Chase!” Missy Gold called from down the hall, a white leather handbag swinging on her arm as she waved. “Chase, hi!”

            He rolled his eyes. “Oh God,” he whispered.

            I almost laughed, but she arrived before I did.

            “Chase, hi. I know I haven’t talked to you before but I know we’ve been hinting at it for a while, and…I was wondering if—“ she paused looking over at me. “Shoo,” she whispered.

            I smirked at Chase before walking off. I paused by the door to hear what they would say.

            “Anyway I was wondering if you’d like to go out sometime,” she flirted.

            “Um, Missy I—“

            “Great, pick me up at six and I’ll direct you from there,” she said, I heard her footsteps as she walked away.

            “Missy! I’m not going out with you,” he called.

            I heard her paused and walk back.

            “If you are willing to date a nerd like Nicole then you definitely have to want to date me. Werewolf or not I thought you’d have better taste,” Missy said with a tap of her heel.

            “Missy I don’t want to date you,” he said.

            “Yes you do and you know it,” she said seductively. I could practically see her moving closer.

            I took a chance and peeked around the locker I was leaning against. She was almost touching him. My hands involuntarily balled into fists.

            “Come on, Chase, you know you want to,” she said putting a hand on his chest.

            “Missy I—sure,” he said after a moment.

            “Great. Pick me up at six,” she said before turning and strutting off.

            After she was gone I walked to where Chase stood and slapped him across his cheek.

            He put a hand to it and his eyes widened turning a bright gold chasing the green away. I backed up a step. “What the hell was that for?” he snapped grabbing my arm and bringing me against him.

            “You ask me out then you agree to go out with Missy?” I asked staring into his eyes.

            “And then you slap me?” he asked.

            “Yes,” I said ripping my arm out of his firm grasp. “You can consider our date canceled,” I said before walking back out to the court yard leaving him there still thinking about his stupid face.

            “What happened?” Lisa asked seeing my expression.

            “He’s a freaking jerk,” I snapped walking on. “He asked me out I agreed then Missy came and now he’s going out with her.”

            “What’d you do?” Natalie asked.

            “Slapped him,” I said.

            “Did you cancel the—“

            “Duh!” I snapped.

            I glanced over at the other werewolves usual spot in the court yard. They were all watching me. Hannah had an angry slash apologetic look in her face. Derek and Cain looked pissed. The rest were just expressionless.

            Hannah pulled away from Derek and walked to where I’d stopped.

            “What happened?” she asked.

            “I’m sure you heard,” I said leaning against the building.

            “I wasn’t purposely listening. I heard you walk out and you looked angry so…” she trailed off. “Look Chase isn’t like that, really.”

            “Well it sure as hell seems like it,” I snapped and crossed my arms.

            “Chase is my brother, I know him better than anyone. He has reasons for things. He never does anything without reason,” she said.

            “I’m sorry but I’m having a hard time believing that,” I said.

            “Nicole,” she began.

            “Hannah, can we just…not? I’m not really in the mood,” I asked.

            “But—“

            “Hannah, stop. Please, just go back to your boyfriend,” I said.

            Derek was suddenly here beside Hannah. “Don’t speak to her that way, bitch.”

            “Derek—“

            “She is nothing but a pointless human. She has no right to tell you what to do. Or ask anything of you. You were trying to be polite and help. It’s not your fault that Chase was playing with her,” Derek said. “Face it little human, Chase was playing with you. He doesn’t even like you.”

            I flinched and again my hands balled into fists.

            “Derek,” Hannah whispered her eyes flashing from mine to my hands.

            “Holy Frank,” Natalie said her eyes on mine.

            “Nat, the expression is holy shit,” Lisa said looking at her then back to my eyes.

            “What?” I snapped.

            “Your eyes,” Hannah breathed.

            “They’re gold,” Derek said.

            “No they’re blue,” I shook my head.

            Lisa reached into her pocket and pulled out a tiny makeup mirror. I looked in it. The eyes that stared back at me weren’t mine. They were a bright golden, like Chase’s had been.

            “That’s impossible,” I whispered. “I’m human.”

            “Are you sure about that?” A strong voice asked.

            “Yes,” I said.